cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My wireless router log for my Hughesnet account shows IP addresses that aren't mine. Some of these IP's are in Europe.

Highlighted

My wireless router log for my Hughesnet account shows IP addresses that aren't mine. Some of these IP's are in Europe.

My wireless router used for my Hughesnet account shows IP addresses that aren't mine. They appear in the early morning hours and show a descriptor of: [DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 64.124.217.61, port 8111, Saturday, June18, 2016 02:58:08. Some of these IP's are in Europe, Sweden, California, Tokyo, Colorado. I live in Virginia. It appears that my account has been hacked, because my router only has a 300 meter reception radius. Furthermore, these IP's show up in my router log even when my WIFI has been turned-off.
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted

Re: My wireless router log for my Hughesnet account shows IP addresses that aren't mine. Some of these IP's are in Europe.

Hi Gary

Sounds interesting - let's figure this out together. Do you have a recent case number or serial number from your modem? I would like to open a case. When you see this in your router, do you see any MAC addresses listed as well? Do you play any kind of games online? Last question.. what model of router do you use?

Thanks!
Amanda
Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

Re: My wireless router log for my Hughesnet account shows IP addresses that aren't mine. Some of these IP's are in Europe.

Your router may be logging random 'Bot attack traffic that is really all over the Internet constantly. That traffic should not have anything to do with your HughesNet account - it's just a fact of life on the Internet.

If your router was hacked/compromised, I seriously doubt it would affect your router's range. 300 meters (1,000 ft. +) is actually pretty good.

It's much more likely your computer would be hacked than your router. What anti-virus, firewall, and anti-malware software have you installed on your computer? 
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

Info on Port 8111 malware: http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=8111
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Highlighted

Thanks Alan. I am very inept with Router technology. E.g. I stated I had a 300 meter radius, when in actuality it is only 250 ft. My Router is a NETGEAR WNDR3700v4. I also should have done a search to determine what the acronym "DoS" means (Denial of Service), which means that my router is functioning as it should, and blocking intruders.  

I use Malwarebytes software, and have it loaded on 2-computers. I turned-off my WIFI and, before disconnecting it, I had only one of the two computers running wireless. I suspect that my son's laptop is infected because as soon as he stopped using it, my Hughesnet Internet Meter shows that my usage has plummeted (but it wasn't him using 2-GIG in downloads per day). He will be doing a Malwarebytes deep scan today. 

The active firewall I have, is built into the Windows-7 OS, and I 'had been' using Microsoft Security Essentials anti-virus protection, but Malwarebytes worked so much better and it found Trojans that MS Security Essentials didn't.

I apologize for taking so long to reply to you and Amanda. I needed to investigate what gear I have, rather than ignorantly talking out of my a$$. Thank you very much for your knowledgeable input, and helping to extinguish my problems. 
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Four or five years ago, MSE was pretty good... Now in days, a combination of MalwareBytes and BitDefender (Or another quality AV product) is the best thing to have.
Highlighted

thank you, C.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

When you said a three hundred meter radius I thought maybe you had some Super Duper Mega router.  Mine only hits about 130 or 140 feet if I set it in an open window and walk away from the house with my laptop.  I was REALLY envious.  LOL. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Gary,

All router are going to show that type of activity in their logs:

Its just the routers hardware firewall doing its job .....

That is: reject everything that didn't originate from the "inside".

Highlighted

Like I said previously after correcting myself: it's only a range of 250ft. 300 meters would be nice though.