Hughesnet Community

Needing Assistance with Data Management - have dared children to use internet!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timothy In East

Needing Assistance with Data Management - have dared children to use internet!

Here is my issue - which seems to be quite common - My family and I are gone all day. No one uses the internet during the day - I and my spouse are at work, and the two children are at school - one in Nursing School and the other is a Junior in High School. We do not use YouTube at home, and the children and I (spouse is not an internet junkie) only use the internet connection for email, downloading webpages and the like. I have dared them to the point of serious suffering if I catch them downloading music or videos or watching YouTube. Email is pretty much the limit for me. However, consistently we exceed the download limit. For the life of me, I cannot figure out where it is going or where it is being used. I would love to use the higher plan (I have the 10 plan right now) but that may not be in the budget. Of course, if I do go with the higher plan, I fear that the reported usage will continue and I will be back in the same boat, just a few days later in each month. We do not do any updates to any devices while home (I have trained them to do their updates at school and I at work on the wifi offerings there, but the download limit is giving me fits. DSL is not an option, or I would jump on it like a dog on a bone. Can anyone offer any assistance? I honestly cannot see us using that much data in that length of time. I would love suggestions or ideas.
33 REPLIES 33
Mordacious

Do you or anyone else use Facebook? Any news or websites that have heavy video on them? Even the home page for Hughesnet can be a data hog. Do you have ad blockers on your browsers?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Are you using Windows 10? How quickly are you using your limit?
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Do you have a wifi router that things may be connecting to and updating without your knowledge? Windows 10 does some updates whether you want it to or not, but that alone shouldn't be going through all of your data.   
donsjgm
Junior

My grandchildren seem to have ways to "burn" through data. I would begin my search for the usage there.
There is a utility to see what data is being used on a particular computer.  https://www.glasswire.com/help/
It's basically a process of elimination.
Best of luck.

Don  🙂
GabeU

Now you know that when you have kids, and you forbid them from doing something, they are going to do everything in their power to do just exactly that thing.  LOL!  J/K.

"Now, stay out of my desk.  It's off limits."  Fifteen minutes later every steak knife in the house has a bent tip from them trying to pick the lock.  Heh heh. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It can eat a lot if things aren't turned off, especially when added to the normal usage.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/manage-windows-10-data-usage/

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/stop-windows-10-sending-updates-other-pcs-internet-wudo/

Then there is the automatic download of 10 from 7 and 8/8.1 if not aware how to catch and disable the GWX updater.
GabeU

The upgrade to 10 is now automatic for some?  Sheesh! 

BTW, when I made the reference to W10 downloading some updates regardless, I was hoping one of you guys would see that and post the links you did.  I couldn't remember where I had seen them.  That OneDrive and the syncing really eat stuff up.  It wouldn't surprise me if it was those two, and especially the first, that is eating up the majority of his data. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I would suggest reading all of my replies to this user:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hug...
donsjgm
Junior

Wow, Gabe,
You actually still have steak knives in your house. Mine, along with most of my other tableware are out in the sandbox or scattered through out the yard. LOL
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Repeating the same things over and over does get old.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It was easier than starting from scratch on a subject that has as many variables as data loss does.
dutchdog

i use email and facebook.   that's about it.   my three to four hours a day of my habits described zero down my daily allowance.   it really sucks.   there have been times when i will look and see i have say...66%.   i quit email and chrome and leave for work...i come home and it's like 34%.   and NOTHING IS ON!!!!   wi-fi off!   It's like it drains.....  we have to buy their piddly tokens all the time and it sucks.   i HATE HUGHES.Net...just hate them.
GabeU

Actually, I don't have any kids.  I was harkening back the childhood of myself and my brother.  LMAO. 
GabeU

If you would like help in determining the problem and finding a solution, it would be best to start a new thread. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

He's started posts before but never follows through with the Official Rep on any of them. Do a search for dutchdog in the search engine tool bar.
He likes to complain but never follows through with any help or questions.
Chronic whiner who doesn't really want help.
GabeU

Interesting.  It's always Hughesnet's fault.  I find it humorous when people think Hughesnet is stealing their data. 

Mordacious

So dutchdog, you use Facebook, one of the biggest data hogs on the net, but that's Hughesnet's fault? Maybe Hughesnet should block Facebook to protect users like you from yourselves.

here's some cheese to go with that whine

donsjgm
Junior

You need some kids, if nothing else just to pay you back for your childhood. LOL
GabeU

Oh God, no!  At 43, I don't want to be going to a high school graduation in my sixties.  My brother has four, so that's enough grandkids for my folks.  I'm actually the only one out of my generation in our family (seven of us (myself, my brother and five first cousins)) that has no kids.  I'm the black sheep.  Heh heh.       
Timothy In East

Strangely enough, we do not Facebook. The other devices are set to not update without approval, and none of us has Windows 10 on the laptops - we have 2. Usually takes us about 15 days to burn through the 10. Should I downlaod the glassware program on all the devices and try to find the culprit?