Netflix cuts off every 30 seconds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ergriste
New Poster

Netflix cuts off every 30 seconds

I used to be able to watch Netflix shows just fine. Recently it cuts off and reloads ‘many times during a show. Tonight it’s every few seconds. Called Hughes net and they say it’s weather related. Weather is fine, only one device connected and have plenty GB of usage left.
6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Could be weather at the ground station.  It could also be congestion in the network.  

Yeah that’s what they told me when I called. It’s just frustrating bc it’s all the time now. But thanks for the response!
GabeU

@ergriste 

In case you may not have already tried this or the phone reps didn't suggest it, sometimes a modem reboot or power cycle can help, though the former is usually easier if you're using a computer. 

To reboot the modem, go to this page and click on Reboot at the top.  It can take about five minutes to the modem to be fully back up and ready, so it's best to wait that long before again trying to stream or use it for whatever activity.  If you're connected via WiFi you'll temporarily lose your connection when you do this.   

To power cycle the modem, unplug it at either the wall outlet or the power pack, wait at least thirty seconds, then plug it back in.  Then, as above, wait for at least five minutes for it to be fully back up and ready before resuming your activity.  The same thing as above with the WiFi, as well.

Good morning ergriste,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@ergriste 

It's possible that there is bad weather at your gateway, which is where your signal is collected by a dish on the other side of the satellite from your location.  To determine where your gateway is so that you can check the weather at that location, please see this webpage.  The page may take a little while to load.  

It's also possible that you're seeing congestion due to all of the new devices coming online around Christmas, which is putting a strain on the sytem.  

With this said, for the reps to help it's likely that they'll need some speed test results.  The following is the protocol for those speed tests...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy Results page URL with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 3MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Thanks