cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hughes peak period performance record

GW
Tutor

Re: New Hughes peak period performance record

Indeed, the big question here is what is the definition of promised speed? Since Hughes does not guarantee speeds or uninterrupted service I must assume promised speed means zero.

As we all know, 60% of zero is zero. In this regard, the engineer is absolutely  accurate. I can verify my speed never dropped below zero because I did have uninterrupted service.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

GW, from what I know (maybe not much) they strive to provide at least 60% of advertised "up to speed" the majority of the time, excluding peak time. Even peak times the system should still be usable for at least basic things, even low definition streaming. I'm able to when speed is 1500-2000 Kbps.

There are no "promised" concrete 24/7 speeds.

Have to ask if you're able to do what you want and need to do online?
GW
Tutor

Ultimately, yes I am if I want to sit long enough. Realistically, no, I am not able to do many things when my service is crippled.

Occasionally I may want to watch a utube video at the wrong time. With my limited attention span, it's hard to keep up with what's going on when I see long periods of spinning wheels punctuated by short bursts of content. I don't use utube very often so all I can tell you about resolution is it's set to "Auto". That's the only thing I ever stream, no matter what the time of day, unless I run some other video embedded in a web page.

Loading web pages often becomes similar to watching paint dry. Doing work on my websites is virtually impossible at times.
Liz

Hi GW,

The tests run by the engineers are their own tools, so there is no link I can share. The first time, he ran it every hour, 32 minutes after the hour. This last time, it was 17 minutes after the hour; but the point is we are not seeing any poor performance on our end. 

At his suggestion, I've dispatched a tech to check your network to see if they can find any possible causes for these sudden drastic drops you're reporting (NIC, router, etc.), since we cannot explain those.

Your dispatch is currently scheduled for Thursday, Sep 22, 2016 between 8:00 am and 11:00 am.

Let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GW
Tutor

Thank you Liz. I hope this will reveal something although I can't imagine what it could be. The speed drops have always been absolutely consistent with any combination of 4 different computers with up to 5 different operating systems, 2 different routers, a wide variety of LAN cables and no difference worth mentioning whether any were wired direct to the modem or direct to the router. The only possibility I can see here is intermittently poor output from the modem port but I don't see how that could be happening since the dirt poor performance is time of day related.

I did find a slightly loose coax connection at the grounding block this morning but I can't see that causing the problem. The boots look great and the entire coax was replaced from end to end last year to finally solve that persistent SQF15 error.

Is there any way your engineer can connect my modem to a testmy server so we can actually compare apples to apples? Or can they do comp tests using the Hughes performance test?

All of my recent auto test routines have been run near the top of the hour but that's impossible to maintain with testmy. Regardless, it shouldn't make a bit of difference in the big picture.
Liz

The testmy.net tests are more for the customer's sake if they can't run the HughesNet speed test or question its accuracy. In that case, we suggest using the 12-15 MB file size to get the most accurate results. The drastic drops you're reporting can't be explained by us since our monitoring tools have consistently been showing fine performance, and we can only vouch for our equipment and service. We also hope that the tech can find a possible root cause for your concerns on your local network.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GW
Tutor

PS: I hate I've allowed myself to be drawn back into this exercise in futility but such is life.

They explained it to Amanda like this. Nothing will change until they put a new satellite in service. What I can't understand is how and why you're not inundated by slow speed complaints from all the other users of Beam 55/Rapid City if my account isn't being knocked down by some arcane NOC error.

I wonder if you could hook me into the fringe of a less used beam or route me through a different gateway? Probably not since I'm fairly close to dead center of 55.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

PS: I hate I've allowed myself to be drawn back into this exercise in futility but such is life.
I'll take some of the blame for that.   I was the one who basically kept saying "you never know." 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GW
Tutor

No problem my friend. It's good to learn. Tonight I'm trying to learn how to test and record results from two different computers to two different testmy accounts. That way I can connect one computer to the modem, test, then immediately connect another computer directly to the modem and test. This will remove any computer/browser discrepancies from the equation. Not sure yet if it will play nice. It seems to get wacked out sometimes with the same IP being used even with logging in and out of the different accounts when switching.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

GW, Liz said she is sending a tech to your home to try and pinpoint exactly what the problem is. I would wait on that. Running an abundance of tests directly connected to the modem, or not, seems a bit futile at this point.

Wait and see how your visit turns out. Just my opinion, can ignore it.