cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer with extremely poor service

Zap
Freshman

New customer with extremely poor service

I am a new customer (less than a week).  I switched from the other satellite internet company because of the new Gen5 service. On the day of install, the speeds were very good.  However, since then the speeds are so bad that using the internet has been almost impossible.  Tonight, it is so bad that I had to resort to connecting through my cellular just to be able to post this.  I don't know what the problem is, but I need usable internet now.  I tried calling the HughesNet technical support, but after they had me running through silly useless tasks with no result, our connection was mysteriously lost.  Please fix this and give me the internet that HughesNet boasts about on it's website.

Some speed test results:

http://testmy.net/db/u84zvjwWY

http://testmy.net/db/kFGlsIxKR

Informaton from my modem / router

IP Gateway

J2SDO068HNSIGW0108

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID14
Beam ID68
Outroute ID4
18 REPLIES 18
Associate Professor

Re: New customer with extremely poor service

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

Please read the full, in depth guide while taking the notes above into account, located at: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx
Failure to follow this procedure will hamper getting assistance.
The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Assistant Professor

I'm on the same gateway/beam/outroute and I agree. Last night was pretty bad: A few bursts here and there, but mostly periods of no or very low like what your tests show.

I used to note Gen4 looking like this whenever the Redskins were on, so it's possible there were many people trying to stream the game, but... quite frankly it could be anything.

It was fine again this morning so it's nothing permanent, but something to certainly note.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

When they installed your dish did they take at least 15 to 20 minutes aiming it correctly? This new spot beam technology is very finicky to aim. Not only must the Azimuth and Elevation be correct but the Skew of the dish must be correct. The Hughes installation manual says skew adjustments must be made no more than 1/8th inch at a time and allow at least 15 to 20 seconds for the modem to settle before taking a reading. When you do your speed test, monitor the signal strength. It should be fairly steady and above 90 is considered good. Once my dish was properly set up I had great download speeds in the 15 to 35 MBPS range.

Associate Professor

Senior

Hello Zap,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. We are extremely sorry to hear about this issue, and we are thankful that you took the time to inform us. Our engineers are aware that customers on beam 68 are experiencing slow speeds in the evenings and are already working on a resolution. I will add your case notes and speed tests for them to review. In the meanwhile, I would like to continue to monitor your service and if possible, please conduct the speeds tests sometime in the morning or afternoon, in order for us to better evaluate your service. Thanks so much in advance!

-Aedan
Assistant Professor

@Aedan

I can set testmy to run in auto mode as well if it would help give you more data points.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Senior

Hey Mark,
It is not necessary, but thanks.

-Aedan
Assistant Professor

Well, if you ever need them, the link is always http://testmy.net/quickstats/markjfine.

Been running a few tests all day because I'm seeing some quirkiness.

Zap
Freshman

C0RR0SIVE, thanks for the detailed response.  I have created my testmy.net account and will make several tests at different times of day Saturday.