cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New email alert notification

Sophomore

New email alert notification

Is there a way to change the incoming (new) email sound? The current sound is rather quiet and doesn't always get my attention.

5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: New email alert notification

Are you using a 3rd party email client?  If so, what is it?  Are you using your operating systems built in mail program?  If so, what operating system?  

If you are speaking of a notification sound when your receive an email while the HughesNet email page is open, what browser are you using, as it might be something that's tied to the browser.  

AFAIK, HughesNet's email page doesn't make a sound when a new email is received.   I've never heard one, but I just tested to make sure and heard nothing.  This was tested while using both Chrome and Firefox.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

I use FF to view hughesnet emails.  When new mail arrives, there's a short, faint sound --  that's the sound I'm tryilng to change.  (When the sound occurs, there's an image of a speaker on the FF tab for a few seconds.  Just like when listening to youtube. I've checked my wav files and can't find that specific sound; so maybe it has to do with FF, I just don't know where to find FF sounds.  Thanks!HughesNet forum 2018-10-26_21-21-03.pngSound Icon on tab

@0rangeGal

Unfortunately, the only thing I can find regarding Firefox making a sound when new email is received is when someone has the Thunderbird email client installed.  Then again, I'm not very familiar with Firefox, so it may very well be a setting somewhere, and it's possible that Firefox is using Windows' own sound profiles for the new mail sound.  

Hopefully someone more familiar with Firefox and HughesNet's email will know where to look.

One question, though.  Does the HughesNet email page, like shown in your picture, have to be open for you to hear the sound when you get a new email, or do you hear it anytime Firefox is running and you get a new email, even if the email page isn't opened?  If you're hearing a sound even if the HughesNet email page is not open, it's likely that the HughesNet email settings are integrated with Firefox, but again, I don't really know much about Firefox, so I don't know how that's done, nor how to adjust any of the settings.  Still, it might be important for someone to know whether you have to be on the HughesNet email page or not to hear the sound.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

I only hear the "new mail" sound when Hughesnet is open in FF.  I'm still checking, but can't find where that sound is stored and so, of course, can't figure out how to change it---if I can change it.  Oh well, for now, it's just another internet mystery!

Thank you for your time & attention!

Hmmm.  I really wish I knew more about FF to be able to help.  Still, even if another customer may not have an idea, a rep might, or maybe one of the engineers.  Hopefully a rep will reply soon if another customer doesn't.  

I'm going to be following this, as I'm not only hoping you can get it resolved, but it's piqued my curiosity, as well.