HughesNet Community

New threat to Windows downloads over metered service--McAfee!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

New threat to Windows downloads over metered service--McAfee!

There is a new threat from Windows downloads even for those of us who set our computers to not download over a metered connection--McAfee!

Now, I have defended McAfee for years against the naysayers because I've been very satisfied with their service. However, now that I have a data capped service, I find it is using too much data. So I turned off auto scan. Problem solved.

BUT...the other day, I happened to look at it and saw they recommended several updates, five of seven being Windows! They gave me the choice of now or later. I chose later. Problem NOT solved!

When I went to shut down my computer, I was given three choices: hibernate/shut down after installing updates/restart after installing updates. Naturally, I manually turned my computer off.

The next day, after turning it on and off three times, I finally got it to boot up without the updates installing.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
5 REPLIES 5
Amanda

Ah, yes. I ran into this problem because I'm weird about not leaving the room until I see my computer turn off. Having to wait for it to update and shut down really bugs me out of this world. I have no idea how to not do this outside of setting custom times for when the computer is in use and not in use. 

The thing is that once you've been given the option to install the updates, that means they are already downloaded. Which of course means it's too late if you're thinking about your data. This was one of the most annoying things about Windows 10 and MS's inability to provide flexible options like with their previous OS's.

Amanda
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Oh! Good point! I didn't think about downloading vs. installing. DOH! Well now it's a point of pride, haha! And is it MS's inability or unwillingness?? GabeU said he doesn't have his computers set to not download over a metered connection because the updates really don't use that much data. True. The big anniversary update used less than half a gig. But, that too, is a point of pride with me. They shouldn't be allowed to update any ole time they feel like it!

As always, thanks for your response! 🙂
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Ah, yes. I ran into this problem because I'm weird about not leaving the room until I see my computer turn off.
That's hardly weird.  LOL.  I do the same thing and I bet a lot of people do.  When I shut it down I want to know that it's actually shut down and not having some sort of problem.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

They shouldn't be allowed to update any ole time they feel like it! 
Oh, come on now.  We all know you adore Windows 10's forced updates!  LOL. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, a bit like making sure HAL hasn't taken over the ship....lol.