cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New updates for Windows 10 version 1511.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

New updates for Windows 10 version 1511.

Just a heads up.  The updates could amount to around 1GB. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Associate Professor
Highlighted

Re: New updates for Windows 10 version 1511.

Pretty much the same with mine, but depending on how current someone's W10 computer is, it could be up to that much.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Ehh, it's going to depend on more than how current it is... There is no current "win10", there are different release circles in both RTM and IP.  My RTM "current" could be very different from the release cycle you have been assigned.
Highlighted

I know.  I just thought how ironic it was that when I noted the last Windows 10 build updates and how much they ended up being for me, you noted that they could be up to X, "depending on if you have previous updates or not."  Please excuse my lack of correct terminology. 

Highlighted
Associate Professor

I think it comes down to more or less was that computer part of X or Y group, if part of X download this PLUS this, if part of Y download only this.  I get updates just prior to them being released from what I can tell since I am using WSUS, but, I have no idea what group they have my WSUS machine on.

When I said that before, I was used to how XP, Vista, and Win7 did updates, anyone could have any amount of updates, but when a major update (Service Pack) came along, it would download any and all that was missing.  But with Win10 being so different, and some updates never applying, there's no real way to tell other than a rough estimate.

I mean heck, Windows is coded specifically for the processor it runs on.  Have an AMD Athlon x2 6000+?  It's going to run with different "drivers" from M$ than what the AMD FX-8350 runs, even though it's the same basic instructions, they are coding parts of the OS to take advantage of which ever processor you have.  The same holds true for Intel processors.

Granted, that difference is only a few hundred KB in an install, if that, it can add up for other Windows updates, such as mandatory driver updates that they force onto people, as well as updates that apparently like to uninstall "incompatible" software.
Highlighted

I understand that, and I understand why during cumulative updates like this it can be different for each machine.  I was simply letting people know what size it could be up to for the benefit of the doubt.  It's better to be safe than sorry, so to speak.  When you noted what it could be up to in last month's post, I remembered it, which is why I added that "up to" in the description.   

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Just did a look to see what all was released yesterday...  It's a rather interesting list, and rather large (Looks to be about 20+ for Win10 alone).  Here's a snip from my server.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Highlighted

It's quite a bit, no doubt.  I looked at the breakdown on the Microsoft site while it was downloading and saw that there was quite a bit.  I'm glad that they can do it in a cumulative fashion rather than having to download a bunch of individual files. 

I used to burn the service packs for the previous Windows OSs onto CD so I wouldn't have to download them again at a later time.  These cumulative updates are sort of like mini service packs, I guess.     

What I'm waiting for is that big one that is coming out on August 2nd.  That thing is going to be huge and a lot of people are going to hit the wall with their data when that's released.  It will not surprise me if there is an uptick that day and the next with people who don't know they've gone into FAP.