HughesNet Community

New updates for Windows 10 version 1511.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

New updates for Windows 10 version 1511.

Just a heads up.  The updates could amount to around 1GB. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
29 REPLIES 29
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
GabeU

Pretty much the same with mine, but depending on how current someone's W10 computer is, it could be up to that much.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Ehh, it's going to depend on more than how current it is... There is no current "win10", there are different release circles in both RTM and IP.  My RTM "current" could be very different from the release cycle you have been assigned.
GabeU

I know.  I just thought how ironic it was that when I noted the last Windows 10 build updates and how much they ended up being for me, you noted that they could be up to X, "depending on if you have previous updates or not."  Please excuse my lack of correct terminology. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I think it comes down to more or less was that computer part of X or Y group, if part of X download this PLUS this, if part of Y download only this.  I get updates just prior to them being released from what I can tell since I am using WSUS, but, I have no idea what group they have my WSUS machine on.

When I said that before, I was used to how XP, Vista, and Win7 did updates, anyone could have any amount of updates, but when a major update (Service Pack) came along, it would download any and all that was missing.  But with Win10 being so different, and some updates never applying, there's no real way to tell other than a rough estimate.

I mean heck, Windows is coded specifically for the processor it runs on.  Have an AMD Athlon x2 6000+?  It's going to run with different "drivers" from M$ than what the AMD FX-8350 runs, even though it's the same basic instructions, they are coding parts of the OS to take advantage of which ever processor you have.  The same holds true for Intel processors.

Granted, that difference is only a few hundred KB in an install, if that, it can add up for other Windows updates, such as mandatory driver updates that they force onto people, as well as updates that apparently like to uninstall "incompatible" software.
GabeU

I understand that, and I understand why during cumulative updates like this it can be different for each machine.  I was simply letting people know what size it could be up to for the benefit of the doubt.  It's better to be safe than sorry, so to speak.  When you noted what it could be up to in last month's post, I remembered it, which is why I added that "up to" in the description.   

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just did a look to see what all was released yesterday...  It's a rather interesting list, and rather large (Looks to be about 20+ for Win10 alone).  Here's a snip from my server.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
GabeU

It's quite a bit, no doubt.  I looked at the breakdown on the Microsoft site while it was downloading and saw that there was quite a bit.  I'm glad that they can do it in a cumulative fashion rather than having to download a bunch of individual files. 

I used to burn the service packs for the previous Windows OSs onto CD so I wouldn't have to download them again at a later time.  These cumulative updates are sort of like mini service packs, I guess.     

What I'm waiting for is that big one that is coming out on August 2nd.  That thing is going to be huge and a lot of people are going to hit the wall with their data when that's released.  It will not surprise me if there is an uptick that day and the next with people who don't know they've gone into FAP.    

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
GabeU

Why so much?  Do you have multiple computers updating? 

Also, what is that Window from?  I like that.  Is that software connected to your server or something? 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

That is WSUS (Windows Server Update Sevices).  I tell it what kind of updates I want, it syncs at 2AM every night, and all my machines are pointed to that instead of official M$ servers.  It's basically a one time download for any and all updates.  I have Win7, Win10 (Non-LTSB), Defender, and Skype updates setup on it... But WSUS supports pretty much EVERY microsoft product that has an update function since the earliest builds of WinXP from what I know.  If you aren't careful and select every product, and classification, it can consume several terabytes of data...  Imagine telling it to download every Microsoft driver for a single operating system alone...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_Update_Services

Honestly, it's rather useless for most everyone, but it's beneficial for people that have numerous windows machines on their network(shouldn't be used on networks that have less than 10 machines unless you are frequently playing with VM's that have windows on them), or someone that tends to repair computers frequently.  Never know when you might have to reinstall Win7 and need 2GB worth of updates... That can take awhile to download online, but from WSUS, over a gigabit connection, takes no time at all.
GabeU

Eh, I only have the three W10 computers and the biweekly updates for my folks' W8.1 laptop, but I my three at different times.  The only time I ever have more than one on at a time is if I actually need a second on for a specific reason.  I don't even have my router powered up and connected unless I need it, and that's only maybe once a week. 

If I knew when W10 updates were going to be released I would do them on my notebook first in case anything goes goofy with it.  Gotta love free stuff from a class action suit.  I know "class action suit" is an awful term to use on here (J/K), but this CAS was from eMachines and it got me a free computer.  It pays to register your products, and this was a great example as to why.  A bum floppy, which was never a problem for me, got me a computer. 

Amanda

I wonder if this is what broke my NVIDIA GeForce experience beta update yesterday... Had to uninstall, remote registry entries for it and re-install..sigh.
GabeU

That's actually one part of the NVidia software I don't install.  I had a somewhat similar problem with it about a year ago, and since I don't really play any games (save two), I just left it off during the reinstallation. 

Amanda

I use the beta drivers + virtual reality drivers for my Oculus Rift.. and the ShadowPlay feature is really cool for showing off gaming moments 🙂
GabeU

Oh wow.  So you aren't what anyone would call a casual gamer with that kind of equipment!  Do you ever get sick watching something with that thing?  I think I probably would.  LOL. 

Amanda

Yeah totally. I got the Developer Kit 2 before the full model released and used it to play nothing but horror games (look up Dreadhalls, Amnesia, Affected) but did one time play Minecraft on it and made myself sick..lol
GabeU

I haven't played many horror games, nor many games at all, but my favorite PC game is System Shock 2.  Probably not as horror as the horror games are today, but I love it.  The Half-Life series is about the only other one I play.   

Amanda

That is pretty old school 🙂 Played a lot of Counter-Strike back in the day, I think @Charles Scott plays Starcraft II (what a nerd!)