cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No cellular WiFi calling service

Highlighted

No cellular WiFi calling service

I became a HughesNet customer three days ago. I have NO Sprint WiFi calling service! I cant even call someone standing 3ft away from me. This was not an issue with our previous provider and I was not definately told that I would not be able to make cell phone calls anymore, when I signed up. I need this issue addressed immediately. Oh yes, I would call, but I cant!
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: No cellular WiFi calling service

WiFi calling over internet will not work well with satellite because of the latency. They can't fix the latency as the satellite is 22 thousand miles up in space.

You still have previous provider available?
Highlighted

I was let out of the last contract and cannot go back. Do you know why Hughes Net fails to let new customers know this? We dont have a home phone and dont wish to have one.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

They have a VoIP service. No way they can know everything you want to use in today's world. A bit of research will show satellite and cell phone WiFi calling will not work well.

During sales call did you say you wanted to use WiFi calling?
Highlighted

I did not realize I had to mention this, I am not a technical person. There is a lag when I call someone standing next to me, but when calling someone in another city or state, it does not work at all.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Well, when standing in same room or house it is using your local WiFi, when calling outside you are going through the satellite. Again, satellite = delay, usually so much it doesn't work.
Highlighted

Yes, I understand what you are saying, but it still doesnt do me any good. I am now in a contract with a company that does not provide the coverage I need.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Actually, when standing in same room and both devices using the satellite it is going through the satellite using the WiFi connection. Just a much shorter path than going out to the internet when calling someone not using the HughesNet satellite connection.

Satellite internet will not improve your cell phone coverage.
Highlighted

Good morning jerryandrea,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I'm glad to see BirdDog has already addressed your concerns with trying to use WiFi calling. As he mentioned, we do have HughesNet Voice which is a phone service that is optimized to work with your HughesNet internet. You can learn more about it here: https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started/hughesnet-voice

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted

Appreciate the information, but I do not want a home phone or a higher bill.