cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet connection or super slow connection, any troubleshooting I can do from home?

bschnapp
Freshman

No internet connection or super slow connection, any troubleshooting I can do from home?

We've only had HughesNet for three weeks, today the connection says either no internet connection, or when it does connect the Hughes Net recommended speed test says .5 Mbps.  Tech person wont be here until Friday to look at this, but my wife needs this for work.  We only have a single computer connected to Hughes Net, and have tried turning everything o nand off, etc.  This has been going on for hours.  If it is faulty tech, how did it break down in three weeks, is that normal?!?!

19 REPLIES 19
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: No internet connection or super slow connection, any troubleshooting I can do from home?

when you have these issues, please check http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status (it's an internal modem page; no internet connection needed). What's the number next to State Code?

bschnapp
Freshman

Re: No internet connection or super slow connection, any troubleshooting I can do from home?

Hey thanks for responding. I don't see a state code anywhere on the screen that shows up, which section should it be under? I can send a screenshot of what I'm seeing if that helps.
bschnapp
Freshman

My bad, I had been using a different connection for internet since the hughesnet is still so slow/spotty. The code is 0.0.0
maratsade

That code indicates all is well with the equipment, and unfortunately this points to factors on your side being the likely cause of the issue you're experiencing.  You had said a tech would be coming on Friday. Did he figure out what was wrong?

@bschnapp wrote:
My bad, I had been using a different connection for internet since the hughesnet is still so slow/spotty. The code is 0.0.0

bschnapp
Freshman

Yes, he said the modem was glitchy and I believe the coaxial cable connection (which was already installed) was not the correct one. He swapped the modem and the cable connection but the problems persist, we have someone else coming tomorrow.
We live in an older house, that was abandoned for awhile. During the initial installation I believe the tech used the existing cable and line, I am now thinking these old cables may be worn or frayed, would that explain the poor connection, and wide range of upload/download speeds?
maratsade

The varying speeds can be expected from satellite internet, because of the limited broadband that must be shared among large numbers of subscribers,  as well as other factors. It doesn't take much to overwhelm the system,, especially with so many people working and learning from home.  I don't know about the cables, but it may be a factor.  I do hope this gets resolved for you quickly, hopefully tomorrow. 

bschnapp
Freshman

Thanks, the varying speeds typically are between 0.15 and 2.0 Mbps, so it ranges from barely being able to connect to not connecting at all. Since the pandemic we are working from home and are only using this for my wife's work computer. If this isn't corrected soon on the verge of losing a job.
Thanks for your help, hope I have good news to report back tomorrow.
bschnapp
Freshman

bschnapp
Freshman

What does your last message mean? An S with a line though it?