Not Secure showing when accessing HT2000W from Chrome/Firefox

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

Not Secure showing when accessing HT2000W from Chrome/Firefox

Started getting a Not Secure noted on the URL entry field when accessing my router at 192.168.0.1

Anyone else getting that?

Just started maybe in the last couple days.

Find it weird I would see this when accessing the router from my own network.

TJ

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Yep.  Seeing it here, too.  To be honest, I never noticed if it was secure before.    

Edit:  Going back through some previous SCC pictures that I've posted, it looks like it's never been secure.  It looks like now the browser is showing the words "Not Secure" in the address bar, whereas those words weren't showing before, but the i in the circle, and the lack of the green secure indication, was always there. 

It should be fixed, no doubt.  For now, though, at least for me, I'm not worrying about it, as unless I get hacked, of which the chances are next to nil, it's not going to matter.  The benefit of having shared, dynamic IP addresses.  Still, they should make it secure. 

Good catch.  🙂  

Yeh I don't recall seeing it before... but guessing it has something to do with a certificate in the router that date is now older and needs adjusting or to alert browser the internal address is fine.... but yeh, my eyes caught it recently.  😉

Happy New Year!

TJ

@GabeU wrote:

Yep.  Seeing it here, too.  To be honest, I never noticed if it was secure before.    

Edit:  Going back through some previous SCC pictures that I've posted, it looks like it's never been secure.  It looks like now the browser is showing the words "Not Secure" in the address bar, whereas those words weren't showing before, but the i in the circle, and the lack of the green secure indication, was always there. 

It should be fixed, no doubt.  For now, though, at least for me, I'm not worrying about it, as unless I get hacked, of which the chances are next to nil, it's not going to matter.  The benefit of having shared, dynamic IP addresses.  Still, they should make it secure. 

Good catch.  🙂  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Seeing as only a device on a site's local network can access it they probably never made it a secure page. Plus it is behind the HughesNet NAT sytem. Chrome only recently started reporting local GUI pages as not secure, even my third party router page reports not secure even after logging into it with password.

EDIT: Seems with recent changes manufacturers would have to recode all GUI pages even for equipment on local area network: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/10/avoid-not-secure-warn

Yeh I was not too worried... but my eyes did catch it.

Figured posting here would be a good idea so others will know.

Happy New Years to all here along with the staff at Hughes too.

TJ

@BirdDog wrote:

Seeing as only a device on a site's local network can access it they probably never made it a secure page. Plus it is behind the HughesNet NAT sytem. Chrome only recently started reporting local GUI pages as not secure, even my third party router page reports not secure even after logging into it with password.

EDIT: Seems with recent changes manufacturers would have to recode all GUI pages even for equipment on local area network: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/10/avoid-not-secure-warn

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

This is one thing that annoys me... a lot...

While it's great that browsers are telling users whether a site is secure or not, it would take more work than is feasible to update the firmware of every device just to show a "secure" link exists...

Though, it would be nice if HP would rebuild the firmware for older Procurve switches like my 2848 so that it doesn't need an old version of IE and Java to manage. >.>