cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a concern, but more of a curiosity. Difference between Status Meter and Glasswire....

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Not a concern, but more of a curiosity. Difference between Status Meter and Glasswire....

Glasswire shows nearly three times what the Hughesnet Status Meter does.  Is the considerable difference due to compression?   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Not a concern, but more of a curiosity. Difference between Status Meter and Glasswire....

Don't know about Glasswire but there is a difference with what my router reports and what the meter does, most likely due to the compression. Yesterday I show about a 25 MB difference between the two. It will add up over an entire month.

Highlighted

Re: Not a concern, but more of a curiosity. Difference between Status Meter and Glasswire....

Interesting.  The above difference was from the past three days.  When I did the Anniversary updates on all three computers I noticed the two were vastly different for that thirty day period.  Many GBs. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

I take that back, I forgot to add in the Status Meter upload so my router and the Status meter are pretty close.

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

I'm on my tablet so I'm a little limited here but ......

Glasswire is showing 16.1 MB that is "local" that means ... inter LAN for lack of a better term. Local traffic needs to be excluded

Next item is ... I wish I had my graphics here to show the location of the GW " measure point" vs the modems "toll road" measure point.
Hughes will compress file data whenever it can. Rather like dehydration.
The gateway compresses the required file, transmits it, it is received by the modem that uncompresses it and "charges" you the compressed price .. the uncompressed data then crosses the Glasswire "measure point" at the start of the opetating system and reports the larger amount.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Danged Dog beat me again !
Highlighted

Now this is interesting.  If I go by the usage history on my status meter, it's 438MB on 9/6, 415 on 9/5 and 806 on 9/4.  I'm assuming that the actual line for those dates represents the total for the 24 hours of that date.  If this is the case, then the "front" of the Status Meter doesn't correspond with what the usage history says, and today isn't even on the usage history yet.  That's 1659MB for those three days (9/4, 9/5 and 9/6 in the usage history).  Hmmm.  So, again, the usage history doesn't match what the "front" of the status meter says I have used, which is now adding up to 688MB between the Anytime and Bonus.  Ugh. 

I'm certainly glad that I don't really need to figure out just what is going on as I never use more than what I have.  LOL. 

Highlighted

My local is only 16.4MB, so a drop in the bucket, but the more I look at the differences between the usage history on the HSM and the front part of the meter, the more confused I get.  It doesn't match AT ALL.  You'd figure Hughesnet would match Hughesnet.  LOL. 

Does that legacy usage history site still work?  Do you know what the address is? 

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Makes sense since my router is measuring up and down directly from the modem it is seeing just what is ultimately compressed.
Highlighted

When I add up 9/4, 9/5 and 9/6 in the usage history, it's way over what the front of the Status Meter says I've used, combined.  Right now it's 688MB for the front of the meter, and 1659MB in the usage history, and that's not even including today's data yet.  I'm perplexed. 

Why, oh why, did I open this can of worms?