Hughesnet Community

Not high speed.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rebel12563

Not high speed.

We called to cancel our account because the only high speed we could get was on the LTE on our galaxy 9s plus. The discussion ended with a free month of next upgrade, guaranteed 25 mbps, plus no controlled slowing of speed. Well, I opened the SPEED TEST APP and WOW! No change. Why is there even a HIGH USAGE slowing. Why will I be billed one more month of fees, speeds, and failed ability to watch any movie at all. I have been testing the speed ever since the discussion with service rep. I have a history that proves our download speed is way below advertised speed. Upload speed was 1! Yes,1!
I texted history to hughes mess but have not heard anything
19 REPLIES 19
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Rebel12563

The speed of the service cannot be guaranteed.  It's an impossibility.  In addition, the service speed is slowed when you run out of your monthly data allotment due to the Fair Access Policy (FAP).  The only time you have unlimited data and your speed isn't subject to slowing is during your very first twenty days of service, as the service is in what's known as a relaxed bandwidth state during this time.  This relaxed bandwidth state cannot be arbitrarily turned on and off, or given during any other time (save for when upgrading to Gen5 from a Legacy plan).

It would help for you to post a link to your speed test results to demonstrate your speed issues.  With this said, if you were out of data and subject to FAP when these speed tests were run they won't help.  

If you do not have speed test results run while NOT subject to FAP, the reps here will need some speed tests to be run using the following protocol in order to be able to help with speed issues...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx  (due to being an older page, the test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed above, in bold, for Gen5))

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

daser4454
Freshman

i found some areas differ.i get ave 17mbs to 27mbs.yet my upload ave at only 100kbs to 300kbs max.thu fap mode runs my netflix and hulu fine ave is 1.4 to 2.1.yet at 2am to 8am fap runs up to 4.8 ave is 3.8 to 4.6.on data allowance have reach up to 48mbs ave is 36 to 43mbs after am.runs ok during thunderstorms yet it sucks for hd takes all my 50 gigs as fast as can piss it.yet any dsl or cable is best even one at least 5 or 10mbs with ave 50ms to 150ms would be alot faster than hughes at its max since latency is ave over 500ms to 700ms or worst.ping or lantecy is what makes dsl and cable faster at lower bandwith .and traffic is bad around 8pm to 11pm in north ga.i wish i could get cable yet im stuck with satellite.i find it still good yet if hotspots became a monthly payment and unlimted. satellite would not be needed. 

GabeU

@daser4454

If you're having some type of speed issue please start a new topic.  Please also refrain from foul language when doing so. 

Hi @daser4454,

I'm sorry you're having this frustrating experience! When I first got Hughesnet a little over two years ago, I had no experience with satellite. The second month I had it, a homeless family came to live with me. I let their kids onto my wi-fi with their phones and I was out of juice, so to speak, within three days. It's the only time I've ever run out.

I did very extensive reading on satellite internet generally and Hughesnet specifically. I spent a LOT of time on this site, lol, learning from the masters, the volunteers who donate many hours to helping newbies like me. I learned a ton about how to set my and my daughter's phones (we don't get cell service out here) and laptops to minimize unintended usage (like preventing videos from automatically loading and playing when you open a web page, for example). There are MANY small adjustments you can implement to save gigs! Search the history on this site for detailed info!

As for upload/download speeds, there are also a lot of things both you and customer support can do to help you get the best speeds possible for your location. I HIGHLY recommend working through this community, rather than through the customer service phone line! The moderators here have "powers" the folks on the phone don't and are all excellent techs. Their only job is to work with this online community. And, as stated, the community members who volunteer their time on these boards know more tech stuff than I could learn in a lifetime!

Don't give up yet! I'm confident we can help. I recommend you follow up on @GabeU 's advice, if you haven't already. Open a thread where he asked you to. Also, rather than just reporting your numbers, please post the link to your testmy.net account, as he requested. Test on different days and different times of day. This is a little bit of a hassle, but the information can be extremely useful to those trying to track down where the problem is.

It may seem unreasonable to suggest you spend a few hours educating yourself about how satellite internet works and how it differs from cable or other types of internet. But remember, this is a pretty new technology that is still evolving. There is a learning curve and we all had to climb it.

But I KNOW you can do it! If you take the advice of the mods and the volunteers, and follow their instructions and ASK when you don't understand something, we'll get there together!
maratsade

"preventing videos from automatically loading and playing when you open a web page, for example"

A very annoying feature which should be opt in, not opt out.

Agreed!

Sry you got me wrong.I enjoy hughesnet just only during traffic time.I was trying to say IN my test Hughes is not to rarely faster just not gaming like.and trying to explain it depends which area

Oh and ry Mr sentive that a curse word like pi$& ofends

So back off! And mind others staments.please never reply to me again thank you

Sty not you

Hi Daser4454, we're glad to hear you're enjoying HughesNet. Thank you for sharing your experience! 

-Brooke

Dry I was replying on Gabe's comments
Brooke
Alum

Hi Rebel12563, welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I see Gabe has presented great information regarding our speeds, and I will reiterate that we can not guarantee speeds due to circumstances applying, such as weather conditions for example. The upload speeds we advertise for Gen 5 are up to 1 to 3 mbps, so you're within our advertised speeds. For download speeds, if you can follow the steps Gabe presented, we'll be happy to look further into this! 

-Brooke

Brooke
Alum

Daser4454, as per our Community Guidelines, we ask our customers to refrain from using profanity words, which is why Gabe mentioned it. We want customers to stay courteous in their responses is all, it's nothing personal against you. I hope that clarifies things. 🙂

-Brooke

Yes I acadently said pi$& dry thought every one here eadnt so sentive

No worries, I just wanted to let you know for the future is all. 

-Brooke

Thank I'm on amoxcillin and makes me weird do I'm sry I have a mently illness that Requires desabilty.and I will be medcadid before I right any response and thank for your kindness.
Brooke
Alum

I understand and thank you for your understanding as well 🙂

-Brooke

Brooke
Alum

Hello Rebel12563 I hope all is well since I haven't heard from you since your initial post. I'm going to close the thread due to inactivity, but if you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. We'll be glad to help!

Thank you.

-Brooke