cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure how much worse it can get...;))

Not sure how much worse it can get...;))

I signed up for the most data I could get. Which I am more than willing to pay for. Last month my bill was about $300. This month, I think it's at about $350. No, we do not constantly stream. We do not play online games. I live in a rural area and nobody has access to my Internet. Nobody is stealing my Internet. I have probably spent about five hours on the phone, trying to get a technician out here to do one simple thing. Just one simple thing. See, I do not have phone service at my house. So when I am trying to deal with a situation, I have to drive 5 miles down the road to do it. So it's not like I can be on the phone with the technician and be in front of my router. So, Hughes net graciously gave me a free technicians visit. I spoke to two people at their subcontractors office... Florida Totalcom. I gave them very very simple instructions. I told them that my house was very very hard to find, and to have the tech TEXT me. I gave them one number. I told them, please do not call. All I can receive are text messages. Pretty simple, right? Well, apparently it's not so simple. They called every other number than what I told them to text. Remind you, I even heard the lady type it into the computer. So I know she had the proper # There is one phone number. And I made sure to tell her that it was TEXT ONLY. Apparently, that was too difficult for them to figure out. So, the bottom line is, I have spent approximately five hours on the phone to try to get something done which would probably take about 10 minutes. I am about ready to pay the cancellation fee. I would rather have no internet, than deal with this utter nonsense. And we only have one vehicle in our household. So it's not like I'm going to walk 5 miles down the road to make one damn phone call. And on top of it, the woman I spoke to from the subcontractor, Florida Telcom, got snippy with me. Which use made things even better.

I swear.... if I didn't need my daily news.... I'd GLADLY pat the disconnect fee. I have never in my LIFE experienced this kind of runaround.
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Not sure how much worse it can get...;))

So what are the people you have talked to suggesting is using the data? 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

They have no idea. All I'm trying to do is change the password on my router... that's it. Simple. And see if some unknown thing is draining it. But I didn't realize I had to be an IT tech to use hughesnet. My bill has gone up from $100 a month to now $350 a month. He was going to just check things out, and change my password. That's all. Our personal usage has not changed. I have no idea how to change my darn password. They even provided me with a free technician. And they can't even get that together. Look.... I'm pretty sharp. But this..... it would cheaper to cancel than deal with this. It is frustrating beyond belief. No one else has my password. My husband and I are always home together. I monitor what we do online. I've done all the iPhone "fixes". But $350/month???? I don't understand how watching approx 5 movies a month can cost that. I'm at my wits end here. And the subcontractors can't even follow simple instructions.

Also... with a new months worth of GB... i literally have the router NEXT TO ME!!! And I can't load a page. Is the router my responsibility??? I guess I didn't realize the amount of technical knowledge I would need to utilize hughesnet.

The GUI password, or the router access password, as in the one needed for a computer to be able to access your wireless internet?  What brand is your router? 

As for the router itself, yes, it's the consumer's responsibility, but changing a password shouldn't be very hard.  

If I remember correctly, you only use an IPhone, right?  Nothing else?  If only an IPhone, that could pose a problem with changing the password for wireless access, but I'm not sure.  It's possible that you may need a direct connection to enter the GUI so you can change the wireless access password.  Again, I'm not sure, at this point, anyway. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

After reading some other responses y'all have to other posters... seriously.... not being snarky here.... am I supposed to be an IT Tech??? Why is the burden on me??? I'm paying $350/month, yet, it seems if I'm not technologically adept... I'm the bad guy. I just don't understand why the burden is on me. I CANNOT make a call from my house. So I can't stand in front of my modem /router and do tests. Is this just what I have to deal with??? Other than rent, this is my second most expensive bill every month. I'm actually very calm right now. But why is it that the burden is on me??? If my electric goes bad.... a guy comes the next day to fix it. And I only pay $100/month for that. Why am I expected to diagnose and fix a service I pay $350/month for??? I'm sure you can imagine my frustration....

What is a GUI???

I only have four degrees. Maybe I need another in computer programming...Smiley Wink

It's a netgear. Provided by hughesnet.

Graphical User Interface.  It's the way you connect to the router to change the internal settings.  Your router has two passwords.  One is for the GUI, so you can change the settings of the router, and the other is the wireless access password, the one you have to enter into the device to be able to connect to the router wirelessly. 

I'm next to the router, and can't get my last comment to post. Is it possible that my service is screwed up???