cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK, panic—newly evolved ransomware is bad news for everyone

Highlighted

OK, panic—newly evolved ransomware is bad news for everyone

There's something inherently world-changing about the latest round of crypto-ransomware that has been hitting a wide range of organizations over the past few months. While most of the reported incidents of data being held hostage have purportedly involved a careless click by an individual on an e-mail attachment, an emerging class of criminals with slightly greater skill has turned ransomware into a sure way to cash in on just about any network intrusion.

And that means that there's now a financial incentive for going after just about anything. While the payoff of going after businesses' networks used to depend on the long play—working deep into the network, finding and packaging data, smuggling it back out—ransomware attacks don’t require that level of sophistication today. It's now much easier to convert hacks into cash.

read more here....

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: OK, panic—newly evolved ransomware is bad news for everyone

Don't click on email attachments from unknown sources! This is really more of a problem for businesses with lots of employees using computers. The individual at home on their computer should have more control and frankly more sense than to click willy-nilly on attachments. My opinion, not going to panic for now.
Highlighted

The individual at home on their computer should have more control and frankly more sense than to click willy-nilly on attachments.
Are you talking about the average Hughesnet user? The one that will blame Hughesnet when they get the ransomware? Surely you jest.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Be nice now. You don't always have to live up to your name.  Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

To be quite honest it did scare me enough that I imaged my drive right after you posted this. I don't open unknown attachments but always good to have a fresh image. Thanks for the slight scare, still no panic.
Highlighted

Just gat this from Malwarebytes in My email

Adobe issued an emergency update to its Adobe Flash Player software today after researchers discovered a vulnerability that was being exploited to deliver ransomware. Flash has over one billion users, so odds are you are affected by this update.

But Malwarebytes proactively protected its millions of customers from this attack, blocking the ransomware before it could encrypt files.

As a precaution, we suggest you update your Adobe Flash Player (Shockwave Flash Plugin). In addition, we urge you to consider installing both Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium for the layered protection that stops attacks like this from infecting your computer. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium blocks the exploit attempt, while Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium stops the ransomware execution (if Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium is not installed).

We'd hate to see your computer compromised. Here at Malwarebytes, we pledge to keep you protected and informed about the latest issues. Your peace of mind is our number one priority.

Sincerely,
The Malwarebytes Team

P.S. Learn more about this threat here.
Highlighted

My work place got hit with a ransomware, it shut our network down for a day and a half while the antivirus and our IT team cleared it out.  We didn't have to pay any body but it was a major hassle.  That stuff is no joke
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Tis why I make weekly or biweekly system image backups, keeping the first one from the past three months.  Right now I have one from the beginning of Feb, March and April, plus the one I did earlier today. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Thanks for the heads up!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.