Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Reps., Can you?

donsjgm
Junior

Official Reps., Can you?

Dear Reps,

I thought that I had seen somewhere, in previous threads that you had the ability to turn up the transmitter power in customers' placed equipment.
My download speed it terrific and I am very pleased with the service in general.
I fully expect to be a very long term HughesNet customer.
The reason for me asking about the transmitter power is that my upload speed is what I would describe as marginal.
Using TestMyNet results, I am able to achieve speeds well within the realm of expectations but only some of the time and they are on the lower end of the spectrum.
I'm not expecting unreasonable or miraculous increases but if this is something that you can do, would you minimally increase my transmitter's power?

HT1100 - SN B3 0010462017 A2

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for letting me participate in this forum and for all of your hard work.

Don  Smiley Happy

PS I just performed 3 speed tests on the HN test. I reflects what I'm talking about.
28 REPLIES 28
Amanda

Re: Official Reps., Can you?

Hi Don!

Thanks for the kind words Smiley Happy 

Fact of the matter is, we can't tune your transmitters power output (they are static at 1 watt). I see from notes from last year you're trying to do Facetime. Is video conferencing your main concern? We know it should work very well because Liz & I tested it on our system here in house with our mobile devices/tablets. 

I do see some uplink error codes that usually indicate to me a power issue. Do you have the modem plugged into a surge protector or something similar?

Amanda
donsjgm
Junior

Hi Amanda,

In watching you guys work and the 'stuff' you have to put up with to do your job, you certainly deserve the praise.

Yes, I have the modem plugged into a UPS with surge suppression.
Is that not a good arrangement?

Don  Smiley Happy
Amanda

Hi Don

It is a good arrangement, however I have seen UPS' cause some problems. Since the radio transmitter pulls power from the coaxial that is connected to the modem, your UPS is regulating how much that outdoor unit is getting in conjunction with the modem. Sometimes it doesn't give enough power and we see some minor packet loss and transmission issues. Sometimes this is just a coaxial cable problem. To be sure, I'd like to see how your uploads perform when it is plugged right into the wall or a regular power strip.

Thanks
Amanda
donsjgm
Junior

Hi Amanda,

While digging the power cord out from under my computer desk I discovered (while checking) that the coax could be loosened by hand so I thought I might have found a problem. I tightened it with a small wrench and continued with testing, plugged directly into the wall socket, as you described, and performed 4 speed tests. They showed no improvement.

I then plugged directly into the modem, bypassing my router and did 4 more speed tests again with no improvement.

It is likely that the power issues you saw were connected to the coax not being as tight as it should be but sorry to say, It did nothing to help with my upload speed.

As I stated in my OP, I am very pleased with my service in general.
Thank you, sincerely, for your efforts.

Be seeing you at the community,

Don  Smiley Happy
Amanda

Well Don..

I can tell you that I do not see anymore packet loss or those transmit error codes. So that helped something! I have a speed test I can run that tells me what we're actually delivering to you. What I see is 18 down/ .7 up - but what your service plan calls for is 20 down / 2 up. Generally, we set the minimum speeds we want to see at 60% - so .7 is not acceptable even for your plan. 

I have been on and off working on your system today and running remote speed tests which will use your data. I will apply a generous amount of tokens to cover this. In the meantime, I hope you don't mind an occasional minute or two of interruption if I have to make a change. 

Last thing is a question.. Have you ever tried downgrading to the plan below this one and seeing if the upload speeds change?

Amanda
donsjgm
Junior

Hi Amanda,

Please feel free to work on my system at anytime and at your convenience. I do not mind minor interruptions and whatever is necessary.

As for the data, you have been more than generous,  use whatever you find necessary. I have more than ample allowance remaining.

In answer to your last question, no I haven't tried downgrading to see if the upload speed changes.
As evidenced by my history, much of the time I don't use all of my data allowance. There are other times where I do use large amounts and I have found buying the larger plan to be more cost effective than purchasing tokens.

I certainly don't want to nuisance HughesNet by switching plans back and forth.

Are you suggesting that I downgrade to the lower plan?

With sincere thanks,

Don  Smiley Happy
Amanda

Hi Don

Thanks for sticking by me while I work on this with you. Sometimes downgrading to a lower plan might actually do the trick - but if it does, this means something is wrong with a route (or something techie like that) on the plan you're currently on. If that is the case, we'll need to escalate all that information to engineering to be evaluated and patched up. I don't want to interrupt anything, so you are free to downgrade and test the speeds at your leisure this weekend via the Support Center (http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com) - it won't be any trouble for us if you switch plans Smiley Happy

Have a good weekend
Amanda
donsjgm
Junior

Amanda,

Thank you ever so much for everything you do.

I'm mowing grass while I can, it's been rainy and the yard is a hayfield.
Yesterday I was gone all day. On Thursdays I go help out my mother.

Later I will do some more speed tests and should they still be low, I will downgrade my plan and see how that works out.

idk if you are a mother, but wishing you a good weekend and a Happy Mother's Day!
Don  Smiley Happy
donsjgm
Junior

Well Amanda...

After a series of speed test results still below the expected upload threshold I downgraded my plan as you suggested.
I ran more speed test and had similar results.
It was getting well into peak hours so I waited until the hour before bonus time, which is usually one of the fastest times, and ran additional tests with a very marginal improvement.
I decided to wait until well into the off peak period and ran more tests. (3:00am-ish)
Out of I would guess 40 tests, I had 1 test that actually reached the 60% level.
To completely isolate the testing I connected directly to the modem and finally rebooted it just to make sure.
I'm aware you won't return until Monday and I will continue some further testing but thus far it appears that my case might need to be escalated to engineering.

Don  Smiley Happy