Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Reps., Can you?

donsjgm
Junior

Re: Official Reps., Can you?

Hi Amanda,

Unlike too many others here, I do not participate in this forum to complain.
My interests here are to assist others who are having difficulties.

Regarding the download inconsistencies, they are minimal and cause me little inconvenience. The speeds are for the most part well within the working range and sometimes quite good.
I have noticed a slight decrease since I moved to try the lower plan, as you suggested, to see if it made any difference in the upload speed.
My Outroute ID changed from 18 on the old plan to 38 on the new. The Beam ID and Gateway ID remained the same, Beam ID 32 and Gateway ID 3.
I hadn't heard back from you regarding switching back or staying with this plan.
Please let me know, if engineering "fixes" the upload speed on this Outroute is the change valid for both Outroute IDs or will I have to stay put after that?

The engineer's findings regarding the upload speed is correct. The upload speed is actually consistently low all of the time, even during the well off peak times.
This is why I initially brought it up and asked if you could increase it.

With the size of HughesNet and all the engineers have to do, I certainly understand their need for time to resolve the issue.

Thank you and thank them sincerely for all of your efforts.

I look forward to and will be waiting to hear from you.
Don  Smiley Happy

Amanda

Hello Don

Wanted to get a reply in before I head out the door. This will be lengthy.

• I have noticed a slight decrease since I moved to try the lower plan:  This is due mostly to the fact that the plan you were on before called for up to 20 down/2up and the plan you are on now calls for 15 down/2 up. The thresholds are lower.

• My Outroute ID changed from 18 on the old plan to 38 on the new. The Beam ID and Gateway ID remained the same, Beam ID 32 and Gateway ID 3. : The beam is the ...well, beam, that comes down from the satellite onto parts of the continental US, so it is static. The gateway ID number represents the physical gateway (yours located in Amarillo, TX) and is static too. It forms a sort of a "mirror" effect when everything is being beamed around. Since we can't move the mirrors on the satellite, those two have to stay the way they are. The outroute IDs are determined by what you could consider "channels" or "frequencies" that each plan "rides" on. I'm using a lot of quotes aren't I? Smiley Happy

• I hadn't heard back from you regarding switching back or staying with this plan. Please let me know, if engineering "fixes" the upload speed on this Outroute is the change valid for both Outroute IDs or will I have to stay put after that? - It is valid for the entire beam (meaning everyone in your beam, hundreds of thousands of people) are going to see improvement, no matter the service plan. You are free to move back up to Ultra or wherever you like. If there is something that will be plan specific, I will let you know ahead of time, but I do doubt that will be the case. If there were an issue with a particular plan, we would fix that instead.

• With the size of HughesNet and all the engineers have to do, I certainly understand their need for time to resolve the issue. - This particular engineer is helping me with another customer you'll probably rarely see around here, username 'GW'. He's been working with me for 2 years on and off on all sorts of things that have come up. His beam is going to be worked on, but not until June, because some of the work includes software changes that will affect how our installers activate the system. It's odd the things that go into this, but nevertheless, we're glad you spoke up so we could at least show the engineers that all the proactive work they have been doing is paying off to get a jump on these kinds of issues. 
Hasta manana! 

Amanda
Amanda

Hey Don!

Just wanted to give you a heads up that our friendly neighborhood engineers did work on your beam yesterday and said you should be seeing improvement. Have you used the system lately to be able to tell? Let me know Smiley Happy

Thanks
Amanda
donsjgm
Junior

Hey Amanda, Smiley Happy

I saw your post and ran a few speed tests then rebooted my computer and router and ran another series.
I haven't yet crawled under the desk and connected directly to the modem. I will do so later, after my arthritis meds kick in.
It appears, so far, that there is a small increase in upload speed.
After I run some "legitimate" tests, I will let you know how things are working.
I was gone yesterday, I travel and care for my mom on Thursdays so I just got notification of your post today.
I would like to thank you, so very much, for all that you and your team do.

Don  Smiley Happy
donsjgm
Junior

Well Amanda....

I've connected directly to the modem and ran a series of 5 speed tests using HN's site.
The download speeds are superlative.
Sadly, the upload speeds are still pretty poor.
Local time was aprox. 14:15 hrs.
Speeds are as follows:
1 - 888 kbps
2 - 821
3 - 958
4 - 860
5 - 633
This averages about 0.4%
I understand what the engineer told you about upload issues being much more difficult than download configurations.

One day, one series of tests do not an accurate picture make but thus far it's not looking good.
Regardless, I sincerely appreciate the efforts to improve things.

Best wishes,

Don  Smiley Happy
Amanda

Hi Don

I typed out this really long response and somehow navigated away from your post and now its gone... Essentially what I was going to say is that these still are too low, there is another user who is coincidentally also named Don (I think that's so funny) on your gateway with a similar issue and didn't see improvement either. The working engineer who did the changes has already or will be performing a speed test every 10 minutes for an hour (just once) today for over 400 people to compare everyone against each other. With his results and your data plus the other Don's data, we can hopefully see what is going on. I hope to have an answer before the weekend starts, but if not, I hope yours is well.

Amanda
donsjgm
Junior

Hi Amanda,

In considering what all you guys have to do and what all you have to put up with, I can't say enough to laud your efforts.

I hope you too have a wonderful weekend.

Don  Smiley Happy
Amanda

Well Don, engineers were going to make more adjustments Thursday but they said something very big and important came up. They said it has been scheduled for this coming Monday. I will check in then and see if they are going to do more user batch testing to check the results of their adjustments!

Actually I have another question - I am about to be out the door so I can't pull up your account, but do you have our Voice service? 

Thanks!
Amanda
donsjgm
Junior

No, Amanda,

I do not have your voice service.

Don  Smiley Happy