cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing problems and Tech Support never called as they stated

Highlighted

Ongoing problems and Tech Support never called as they stated

Last couple of months I've had unusual and unexplained data loss. My Smart Browsing indicator is not showing I am using smart browsing.  I sent a message and got a reply that  someone would contact me from support within 24 hours. However I never got the call even though I stayed at home waiting for it. Now I have had two months with data loss and very slow surfing speed to the point I can barely open gmail or facebook. I've already tried ALL the usual methods that support always asks you to do, after all I've been with Hughes-net for a few years now and problems is a fact with this company. Really, this is frustrating enough to almost make me want to get a dial-up modem and cancel my service. Please support, check into my case. It's very hard paying 150 a month only to have to buy MORE tokens just to check mail and keep up with my family.
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Ongoing problems and Tech Support never called as they stated

Tony,

Although the Reps won't be back on until tomorrow to be able to answer the callback problem, have you run a modem isolation test? 

I'm assuming you have by your reference to trying all of the usual methods, but just thought I'd ask in case you hadn't.   

Also, have you tired Glasswire for your Windows based PCs? 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

I, too, am having data loss repeatedly. I've disabled all my software / app updates, we do not stream video, tv, etc., and I turn off my laptop when not in use (at least 50 daytime hours when I'm at work plus it's off overnight) and I've already burned through 10 gig in only 20 days. I know it's not me (or my cell phone - I keep wifi off on it, also), and can't figure out what else I can do.

This morning, at 6:00 a.m., I tried to run an update while on bonus time. The download was so friggin' slow, it wasn't finished at 8:00 a.m. and I had to cancel the download. So what good are bonus time if I can't do necessary updates during it? And, what will I do when I have to get a new PC with Windows 10?

HughesNet - I'm fed up. I've been a customer for 10 years - because you are all I have available. But if I'm paying 65.00 each month for nothing, I may as well just discontinue service.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

lisabateman,

It would be best to start a new post for your particular issue.  With that said, and you can answer it on the new post if you like, do you have a satellite TV receiver that could be connecting to the service? 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Tony,

"Last couple of months I've had unusual and unexplained data loss"

Then we need to investigate.

"My Smart Browsing indicator is not showing I am using smart browsing"

We then need to make sure that you know under what circumstances SmartBrowse  would become active and why it would at times become inactive .... that is to say that an actual FAP condition is in effect.

" I sent a message and got a reply that  someone would contact me from support within 24 hours. However I never got the call"

Sadly this is not all that unusual but we do have to look at what they would have likely done:

Your past posting history in the Community shows that you have had ongoing issues with running into FAP.

In truth the data can only be consumed in two places ... on the Hughes end of your connection or on your end of your network.

They (support) would have likely started addressing the issue by ruling the Hughes equipment in or out by having you perform a modem isolation test:

If the results of the test indicated that  data was used during the period that all of your equipment was disconnected then your case would be escalated to repair or replace the Hughes equipment as required.

If the result of the test is negative then we have to conclude the "something" on your network is consuming the data. The question the becomes "who".

Here is where the news gets a little ugly.

Hughes is your ISP. They deliver Internet services to the point of the Modems LAN port.

They are NOT a personal computer/software repair service.

What software you have installed, what the OS's and individual software settings are is anyone's guess.

If you choose to share your Internet connection with other devices, again that is YOUR choice, your Network and your responsibility.

The more devices you have, the more complex the problem becomes.

Hughes simply can not do more than to perhaps offer some general suggestions or perhaps a referral to a paid 3rd party IT service.

Hughes supplies you with a connection. What and how you "spend" that connection is your responsibility.

A single computer has 65,536 com ports. If you have a browser open you know it ... you can "see" the program open and it uses port 80. If you are running an email client program like Outlook or Thunderbird you are using two ports, one for incoming and another for outgoing mail. Again no surprise as you can see the open program.

What you can't see in the normal sense is all of the background processes that turn on, do their job and hopefully turn off.

Here are the "applications" running on my Win7 machine ... those, I can "see":

Now lets look at the background processes running:

A whopping 100 of them currently

That leaves a lot of the 65,536 unmonitored, unseen.

The above is on a single computer.

What of my other 10 computers plus two tablets, the wife's iPad, our two iPod touches and a networked printer ?

There are troubleshooting steps we can take to find the culprit but frankly, it isn't Hughes's "job" to do "repairs" on your devices and your network.

That is the first hurdle you need to get past.

As said earlier there are procedures that we can employ to track this down but you have to be willing to participate in a "guided" process.

There are a few volunteers here in the Community (including myself) that can guide you through the process but you have to be willing to follow steps.

Those steps start with the Modem Isolation Test outline in the beginning.

Highlighted

Hi Tony,

Thanks for posting, Gabe and Gwalk gave some great starting points to address your unidentified data usage concerns. Let's start with the illustrated steps to isolate your modem and let's move forward from there:
Looking forward to your screenshots.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted

Just skip it. Mark it as done or whatever. All this is the same exact I get from tech, or from here before. I've check by all methods. I do have software in my router that I can use to see how much each machine connected uses.
So since this is just gonna be another Hughesnet run around circus that many customers gets just forget it.
Highlighted

Hi Tony,

I'm sorry we could not work together to address your concerns. Our community is always open to you if you want to get help, just let us know.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.