cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online gaming through HughesNet

Assistant Professor

Re: Online gaming through HughesNet

The high latency is actually the worst part about satellite internet IMO. The speed and data limits I can live with and have adjusted to. Nothing can be done about the latency.

It is also the reason behind slow page loads that new customers complain about when coming from cable, even if their speed is good.
Honorary Alumnus

Gabe,

I have to agree with most of your statement ....

One thing that we see over and over is confusion or lack of understanding over the "bonus bytes" thing.

Common definition of "bonus" is .... something "extra" and the practical application of bonus bytes are anything but an extra.

How many times have we seen a new user with the idea that he/she has 20 GB and when that is used up they have 50 GB "extra" bonus bytes waiting in the wings.

It should (bonus bytes) be rename to something that better defines it .... Late Night Bytes, Over Night Bytes ... anything but "bonus". If a potential subscriber is not very savvy or the conversation is fast moving its really easy for that all important point to be lost ... that there are TWO distinct time periods.

Distinguished Professor IV

For sure.  I don't play online games so it doesn't bother me, but because of the latency there are a few quirks that I have here and there.  I assume it's the latency, anyway.  I have a problem with updating Malwarebytes, in that for some reason that server doesn't like Hughesnet very much and it takes anywhere from five to seven minutes to even begin to update.  It just searches and searches.  I also can't alter my Paltalk profile, though I haven't used it in a VERY long time.  I actually don't know if it's the latency that causes these problems, or if it is something inherent to satellite internet, no matter the company. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Gwalk, for sure with the confusion with the bonus bytes.  That I've seen quite a bit on here.  I like Over Night Bytes, or Overnight Bytes.  Just that name change would cut down on the confusion, no doubt. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Two thumbs up on "Late Night bytes" versus Bonus, or maybe Night Owl bytes, lol. Gabe I've noticed the same with Malwarebytes updates, takes forever.

BirdDog, I went on Malwarebytes to ask them about it taking so long to update, and they said it was because of having Hughesnet, but they didn't explain why.  It still eventually updates, and once it starts updating only takes a few seconds, but MAN it takes for ever to find them.  LOL.

It's funny that it finally does update, though.  I figure if it had a problem with Hughesnet (or a sat ISP altogether) it wouldn't update at all, but I find it interesting that it eventually catches, and always at about the same time when checking.  It's a head scratcher, that's for sure.   

Honorary Alumnus

Before trying the next update try disabling web acceleration first and see if that helps.

Don't forget to re-enable when done.

Although it was a good idea, it didn't make a difference.  Still nearly seven minutes to find the update, but just a few seconds once it did.  It would be interesting to find out what is causing this.  Do you use Malwarebytes and does yours update quickly? 

Honorary Alumnus

Yup I run it.

Just got a program update here a few days ago.

Trying it now and the updater has been running 3 minutes and still going .. this is new.

Do you have the paid version that automatically updates so you just never noticed it before?  It's been doing this for me for the last four or five versions.  Since some time last year.