cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom usage, Hulu and Netflix

Highlighted
Sophomore

Phantom usage, Hulu and Netflix

Yesterday HN says we used 3.3gb.  We streamed YoutubeTV in low res for about 1.5 hours.  Then we turned everything off and we were gone all day.
Last night we played 2 hours of video that I downloaded to my phone while we were in town.  I made sure it was fully downloaded before coming home.

So, where did the data go?

My phone data tracker says that 1.5 GB was consumed by NF and Hulu (on wifi).  How? Why?

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Phantom usage, Hulu and Netflix

Even at low resolution, data will get used, and it adds up more quickly than we think. There is also the possibility that apps on your TV or other devices were using data  for something. 

Finding out where the data went and what used it is something that you will need to investigate from your side -- to do so, you may want to install the free Glasswire network monitor (available for Windows and Android). 

Highlighted
Sophomore

Thanks - but that's my point.  I know what Hulu and NF used - but don't know how?  I was only playing previously DL content.
I will check out Glasswire.  Thanks!

Highlighted

n/a

Highlighted

The answer to "how" is, by connecting to the internet and downloading stuff.  I think what you need to know is when and who. 

It's certainly a mystery, but unfortunately, you need to do the detective work yourself, and this can take some time. 

You should also check to see what's connected to your network, which you can do by going here:  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/summary

Look under Advanced Menu -- General -- Connected Device Info.    It shows what's currently connected and also currently disconnected devices.  Maybe this will shed some light?

Highlighted
Sophomore

I don't think you're following me. The 1.5 GB I'm concerned about was on my phone (as per my monitoring app).

Maybe I should ask this differently - will playing Hulu and NF videos (100% downloaded elsewhere) consume data? Point is, if watching 1.5 hours of Low res TV and previously downloaded content consumes 3.3 GB - we're screwed.
Please keep in mind it's only two of us, with 3 devices on top of a mountain - no one is robbing data.

Thanks for the Tip on the network monitor - downloaded it and its pretty awesome!
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Is it remotely possible that you thought you were watching the downloaded copy, but somehow ended up re-downloading it or watching the streamed version? For example: I once tried to schedule my DirecTV DVR to remotely record a movie off of a channel for watching later, but mistakenly had the DVR download the on-demand version... in 1080p HD no less. Was not a happy camper.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Sophomore

I was worried about that before I even started lol (what a nightmare!)
My OCD side went back to downloads and started watching 3 or 4 times to make sure I was watching the DL version
Highlighted

"I don't think you're following me. The 1.5 GB I'm concerned about was on my phone (as per my monitoring app)."

• I did get this, I think.  Your monitoring app tells you your phone used 1.5 GB of HughesNet data, right?  You wrote: "My phone data tracker says that 1.5 GB was consumed by NF and Hulu (on wifi)"
  • What monitoring app are you using? Is that the HughesNet app, or something else? Sounds like it may be something else. 
  • If something else, did you verify against the HughesNet SCC or the app that you actually did use 1.5 GB of HN data? I ask because the tracker app could be wrong. 
  • If HughesNet data was truly used, something was using it. It doesn't magically disappear, so you need to first verify that the data really used (check the SCC or the HughesNet app, or your usage online under My Account). 
  • May also want to make sure no one else is logged in (and using your data) -- which is why you check what's connected. 
  • These articles may help: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa... and https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

(Edited to add information)

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Another possibility is that whatever was doing the streaming may have 'double-clutched' everything. That can happen if  virtually every packet has to be sent 1-3 times from the streaming server. That can happen due to a weak wifi signal. It can also happen in the case of very high latency situations due to congestion, because the streaming server didn't get an ack before it timed out and just resent it. Buffering is a good indication that's actually the case.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.