cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing Attack: An important message regarding your HughesNet account

Advanced Tutor

Phishing Attack: An important message regarding your HughesNet account

This is a Phishing Attack Email that was sent out this morning to @hughes.net Email users. Ignore it. It's an attempt to steal your personal information:
-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: An important message regarding your HughesNet account
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 14:11:53 +0200
To: victim@hughes.net

Dear VALUED
CUSTOMER,

We're writing to inform you that your
account informations must be updated, by updating your informations you
keep your account active.

Please log in to your account and update your information immediately to avoid service interruption.

Update Now (Redirect link at http://bit.ly disabled by Alan)

For your security, please dont submit your information and details by email.

if you have any question, we are pleased to be able to assist you as part of the service we provide, also you can click here to view our
Frequently Asked Questions. 

Thank you for using our service.

Sincerely,
HughesNet Customer Care 
Simply ignore and delate this Email. Never click on links on these kinds of Emails or disclose your personal information online.

HughesNet will never send you these kinds of requests. Neither will your bank, credit union, Google, Hotmail, etc. or any legitimate organization send you these kinds of Emails.

Also see this Forum topic: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/beware-of-fake-hughesnet-phishing-scam-email
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
14 REPLIES 14
Junior

Re: Phishing Attack: An important message regarding your HughesNet account

Hi Alan,
Good looking out!
Hope everybody reads this.

Don  Smiley Happy

Thanks Alan!

And if you're feeling proactive, you can also report these phishing attempts to us so our e-mail admins can block this from other HughesNet subscribers! Here's how:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/report_suspicious_official_hughesnet_e_mail

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Junior

Hi Liz,
I'm sure Alan will take care of business but thank you for the link for a proactive way to help protect other users.
Keep up the good work.

Don  Smiley Happy
Assistant Professor

That one doesn't even have the famous "failure to avert will revert" phrase. Sneaky buggers.
Junior

Sneaky buggers is right!
Honorary Alumnus

There sure has been a lot of these lately.

The old rule of thumb applies here:

Never, never, never click on a link in an email ... even if you know the sender.

Account information may be obtained from your dashboard or by calling the official Hughes support number.

Never open an email attachment .... even if you know the sender. The senders computer may be infected and the virus/malware is sending a copy of itself to everyone in the infected computers address book.

My procedure for attachments is to have a prearrange keyword that is typed into the email subject line so that I know the sender intended to send the attachment. A "bot" would not know this. No keyword, delete it !

Advanced Tutor

Amen, Greg,

Big spike lately in Email attachments infected with RansomWare payloads.

Now that criminals have figured out how to encrypt all your files and extort hundreds of dollars from innocent victims, expect to see more of this.

Please, PLEASE, folks, resist the temptation to click on these links or attachments.

Keep your Anti-Virus software up to date, run a full scan frequently, and don't think you're safe just because you're using Mac.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Junior

Greg, Alan,
Several months ago I got caught with a similar "dropbox" phishing scam, which sent an email to everyone in my contacts.
Since it came from someone I know, it sucked me in.
I hate when that happens! Lol
Honorary Alumnus

Since it came from someone I know, it sucked me in.

Which proves the point: Never, regardless of source, click on a email link ... very DANGERIOUS.