Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Calls Dropping and Inability to Stream

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Phone Calls Dropping and Inability to Stream

@jerroldtaylor2 

I'm glad that advanced tech support is looking into the issue.  2.7Mbps is most definitely low.  Though speed right now is taking a hit pretty much system wide, and it can vary from location to location, it shoudn't be that low.  Hopefully they can get the speed up for you, and fix the phone problems as well, as that's an even bigger issue.  Smiley Sad  Everyone needs a reliable phone.  

It's good that they've offered to allow you to cancel if they can't fix the issue(s).  I hope they can, but at least you have that out if they aren't successful.

As for me, I don't work for HughesNet.  I'm just a longtime subscriber (since Dec 2004).  Though not quite yet 50 I'm retired due to a disability, so I have a lot of time on my hands, and I like being able to help others where I can when it comes to internet or computer related issues.  Smiley Happy

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Just want to point out that problems with phone calls dropping or streaming is usually a latency issue, not a speed issue. Your speed seems sufficient for both of these.

VOIP is basically two-way audio streaming. If there's a large 1-minute gap in service it will cause anything requiring a steady stream to timeout or buffer for long periods of time (depending upon the protocol).

And... I've been noticing an unusually high incidence of 1-minute service gaps again, here on HughesNet as well as outside of HughesNet... pointing to my favorite backbone target: CenturyLink.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Freshman

This is my first post.  Signed up with Hughes on May 7th.  Have not been happy with since day one.  Everything is much slower than my previous IP, SoftCom and never had buffering issues with them.  Would still be with them but can not get line of sight single now due to trees.  Back to Hughes, All I do with the Internet is to read newspapers, email, Facebook, YouTube, Netflix and Amazon.  My problems; email slow, newspapers slow, Facebook slower, YouTube slower with buffering problems, Netflix same as FB some times worse.  AMAZON UNWATCHABLE BECAUSE OF BUFFERING!!!  I called Tec support after just two days, they tried resetting the feed, that did not work, call another day, more resetting, that did not work.  Then was told that it was a problem with with desktop computer which might be old. Is 6 years old?  I do not think so. I tried shutting off all my other Internet devices, did not work, tried my  HP laptop, again as the only user, no better.   It seems that Hughes know that this is a problem.  Regardless of their excuses, Covid and such. Why not fix the problem and if not charge a whole lot less. If Hughes does not work with streaming what is the point. I have sent a letter to the head office.  Next step is to find another IP, cancel Hughes, try not to be charge the $400. And tell everyone I know to never ever sign up with Hughes.   What are your thoughts Community?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

First thing to keep in mind, this community is a tech support community made up mostly of fellow subscribers who are here to help with tech and similar issues. It is not an emotional or social support community. 

SoftCom is 4G LTE internet, which is Earth based, and so does not have the latency that satellite internet has.  You can't or shouldn't compare the two, as you'd be comparing apples and oranges. 

The very large numbers of people working and studying from home put a very significant strain on the network, which is not unlimited nor can be. Streaming may not be possible for some (though it may work fine for others), and this may not get better any time soon.  If you're in an area where the HN network is very strained, you may see problems at all times, and especially during prime time (though these days, it happens at pretty much any time. 

Yes, a computer is old at 6 years. It's old at 5 years. You can try to optimize it, like you could reinstall the operating system to refresh the computer, but the components will be old, memory may not be as good as with a newer computer, etc.  The age of your system and the way it is configured has an impact on your satellite internet experience. 

The COVID impact is not an excuse, it is the reality of the situation. 

They have done as much as they can to optimize the network so people can get at least a basic internet, if not all the bells and whistles, such as streaming. 

Satellite internet is very expensive to create and maintain; it's not like Earth-based systems, which can add capacity whenever they want to.  The consumer pays a higher price for this type of internet connection, and this is also the reality. 

You will likely have to pay the $400 fine for cancelling the contract, especially if you do nothing to try to work with the company to improve your experience. Read the legal site at legal.hughes.com/  and familiarise yourself with the subscriber agreement. 

If you're not willing to work with the company to optimise your experience, it makes little sense for you to be here. If you need social and emotional support, social media such as Facebook and Twitter would be a better place for you to try. 

I hope you find an ISP more to your liking. 

If you would like some help here, start your own ticket under Tech Support.  Just click Start a topic  and provide details of the problem, and be prepared to run some tests and do some troubleshooting from your side. 

bokbok wrote:

This is my first post.  Signed up with Hughes on May 7th.  Have not been happy with since day one.  Everything is much slower than my previous IP, SoftCom and never had buffering issues with them.  Would still be with them but can not get line of sight single now due to trees.  Back to Hughes, All I do with the Internet is to read newspapers, email, Facebook, YouTube, Netflix and Amazon.  My problems; email slow, newspapers slow, Facebook slower, YouTube slower with buffering problems, Netflix same as FB some times worse.  AMAZON UNWATCHABLE BECAUSE OF BUFFERING!!!  I called Tec support after just two days, they tried resetting the feed, that did not work, call another day, more resetting, that did not work.  Then was told that it was a problem with with desktop computer which might be old. Is 6 years old?  I do not think so. I tried shutting off all my other Internet devices, did not work, tried my  HP laptop, again as the only user, no better.   It seems that Hughes know that this is a problem.  Regardless of their excuses, Covid and such. Why not fix the problem and if not charge a whole lot less. If Hughes does not work with streaming what is the point. I have sent a letter to the head office.  Next step is to find another IP, cancel Hughes, try not to be charge the $400. And tell everyone I know to never ever sign up with Hughes.   What are your thoughts Community?

Highlighted
Freshman

Thank you for your reply.  As this being my first time posting I was unsure where to which community post to post in.  I was not looking for emotional support.  My concerns were that of a consumer not being satisfied with a product.  Since there seems to be no way around the problem, "latency that satellite internet has",  I was hoping to hear from other Hughes users how they were dealing with this problem.  Which of the Community message boards should I be posting in?

As to your "If you're not willing to work with the company to optimize your experience, it makes little sense for you to be here"  Thus far I have done everything working with Hughes and their tec support.  I have yet to read anything in this posting site that offers any solutions to the streaming problems.  If you can direct me to such a suggestion I would appreciate it. 
The strongest thing that an consumer can do is to not buy a product and tell everyone they know what a bad product it is. 
I look forward to your suggestions.
Highlighted
Sophomore

bokbok, 

This isnt a throw off on the other guy, but you have my emotional support.  It is heartbreaking when the modern world requires you to have fast speeds, but you can't beat old DSL.  Then on top off that the cost!!!  As the other guy stated and I am trying to do, I only have two options for internet and television.  I can't get cable, so I am left with Frontier Smiley Sad or Hughes.  I am hoping Hughes can help me, but probably like you and in a pinch.  I am preparing for the medical school admissions test and require the capabilities of consistent internet to run the software to study.  I am having very little success, but tech support has been willing to help.  As for the streaming on Amazon the recommended steps I was given include:

*Go to HughesNet account management page and turn off data saver.

*Go to the device and decrease your resolution.

*At this point I power cycled my modem (GabeU taught me this).

*Then I went and tried my television again.  

One of the most experienced people on here is GabeU from all of the post I have read.  Usually he is the first to help.  I would recommend reaching out to him.  He has the knowledge to help you try to troubleshoot this, but he is limited because he is just trying to help us out.  He doesn't work for the company as he stated to a post I posted earlier.  I hope this helps and stay safe. 

Highlighted

I totally hear you, and I know how frustrating it is to not be able to do things others take for granted.  However, it is what it is, and we can't change the laws of physics, so we have to adapt.  I personally get around the buffering problem by using PlayOn Cloud to record stuff I want to watch. It uses no data to record, though it does use data to download the shows, so you have to be careful there.  But once you download shows, you can keep them and you can watch them whenever you want without any kind of buffering and in HD. 

If you want to get some tech support, I suggest you first start your own ticket/topic under Tech Support. Go to the tech support area, click Start a Topic and post your issues.  Be aware that while we may sympathise with your frustrations, the focus of this peer-to-peer community is to educate about how satellite internet works and to offer whatever tweaks may make your experience more acceptable. That said, no one can make satellite internet work like  cable internet, so the trick is to learn to work around the shortcomings. 

The best thing you can do is learn how satellite internet works, and learn how to adjust your expectations and make the best of the system as it is.  Many of us do quite well with it, but your mileage may vary due to many different variables. While there are commonalities among everyone's experiences (such as latency), each person will have varied experiences dependent on where they live, congestion, their own setup, etc. 

bokbok wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  As this being my first time posting I was unsure where to which community post to post in.  I was not looking for emotional support.  My concerns were that of a consumer not being satisfied with a product.  Since there seems to be no way around the problem, "latency that satellite internet has",  I was hoping to hear from other Hughes users how they were dealing with this problem.  Which of the Community message boards should I be posting in?

As to your "If you're not willing to work with the company to optimize your experience, it makes little sense for you to be here"  Thus far I have done everything working with Hughes and their tec support.  I have yet to read anything in this posting site that offers any solutions to the streaming problems.  If you can direct me to such a suggestion I would appreciate it. 
The strongest thing that an consumer can do is to not buy a product and tell everyone they know what a bad product it is. 
I look forward to your suggestions.

Highlighted

"*Go to HughesNet account management page and turn off data saver."

And know that turning off the video data saver will eat your data very fast. Just be aware of this. 

Highlighted
Associate Professor

@bokbok wrote:

Not trying to be contrarian, but it's not a 'bad product'. It is a 'different' product than what most people are used to and provides a service that's not really meant for regular, real-time streaming or third party two-way communications.

Putting a satellite in the loop creates a signal path that's over 45,000 miles from an internet source (90-95,000 round trip), which creates a minimum lag time of half a second because of radio signal physics based on the speed of light. Many streaming services can't even handle that lag, and that's best case given any kind of congestion putting a load on the system.

It's that latency that's creating the impression of slowness, not the actual speed of an web-accelerated channel, which is quite good. For anything else, like software downloads and uncomplicated websites that don't have a lot of extra plugins and other baggage to keep it pinging to eternity, it's generally ok. Moreso, it provides a viable service that many wouldn't otherwise have.

No one can give you advice of what to do, and only you know what you want the service to do for you. For many of us, we just deal with the limitations.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Sophomore

maratsade,

Do you care to explain the PlayOn Cloud?  I would greatly appreicate knowing how to do this, thank you.