Poor internet service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KR53
New Poster

Poor internet service

This is ridiculous. We just started with Hughes and have had nothing but 6 months of very poor internet. Freezing, stalling, spooling, kicking us completely off, and then they say... well, you're out of data! We lose the data with all the spooling!!! We were promised 4 times faster internet than Century Link, and it is actually 4 times worse ! I would not recommend HughesNet to anyone. Nothing they have tried has worked. Very misleading to make promises that can't happen.
7 REPLIES 7
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Many of us have quite good service but satellite Internet is really not a replacement for cable. If you have cable available then probably should not have switched. Honest answer.

If you are constatly out of data that will definitely affect performance.

Amanda

Hi KR53,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. After taking a quick look at your system stats so far in this data cycle, I've 'ranked' your data traffic by how much traffic in a certain category was detected. Note the categories are not exhaustive and there may be other activities that identify as this traffic.

1. Web browsing, email 

2. Streaming video/audio

3. Cloud backups

4. One of these two or within the same category types: gaming or instant messaging (text over Wi-Fi such as iMessage)

What this tells me is that Video is not the only traffic that is being requested on your network and it is highly likely that other kinds of internet traffic are occurring while you are trying to stream. Web Browsing and lighter activities may not impact other peoples' ability to watch video in your home at the same time, but someone perhaps browsing Facebook or Instagram with video autoplay on would definitely cause some connection issues for others. Pairing this with a situation like what your iPad is in right now, which is Poor Wi-Fi signal for the iPad (connected to 'hug5g', but not the iPad named "J Michael's iPad") will cause issues. The poor Wi-Fi signal might also be a clue in to why you're being 'kicked off'.

Finally, I recommend checking your video quality settings. Amazon most likely won't let you change anything here and you'll have to watch movies/TV from them in the delivered format but will need to disable Video Data Saver. If the videos you are trying to watch are set to a quality like 1080p and Video Data Saver is on, you will most likely experience buffering. Video Data Saver suppresses data usage by triggering only up to the speed needed for standard definition streaming (when video quality setting is set to automatic) when trying to watch video content. 

Thank you,

Amanda

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"Amazon most likely won't let you change anything here and you'll have to watch movies/TV from them in the delivered format but will need to disable Video Data Saver."

Amanda, I've watched Amazon on their website, and they let you change settings (Good-Better-Best).  On the setting of Good, you use about 380 MB per hour.  I tested this and it worked like they claim.  No luck with the app, though.  I can't find a setting for video quality (doesn't mean there isn't one). 

EDIT:  I checked the Amazon Prime Video app, and YES, there is a setting to change the video quality.  Unsurprisingly, it's under settings > streaming and downloading > streaming quality.   Like on the site, here are also 3 settings, but the amount of data they eat is different between the app and the site. 

Good - Uses about 0.6 GB of data per hour   (On the website, Good uses 0.38 GB per hour)

Better - Uses about 1.8 GB of data per hour (On the website, Better uses 1.40 GB per hour)

Best - Uses about 5.8 GB of data per hour  (On the website, Best uses 6.84 GB per hour)

Ah... I remember commenting on another user's post here somewhere about this topic. IIRC, for example, your firestick will scale down the resolution AFTER the delivered (full) resolution is already received... therefore no data saved. I wonder if it varies by device or content too. Will stop by the lab today and see if someone in there can try it out 🙂

lenG
Freshman

I have just cancelled my service after several years. In the past 6-8 months download speeds have been extremely erractic, but most of the time in the range of 0.5 Mbps. (Remarkably, upload service remained in the 2 Mbps range.) Radios have been changed without any benefit, and I have received various explanations for the problem, including issues with the satellite. Once CenturyLink began provisioning fiber in our area (we do not have access to a cable provider) I had no real choice, We are in a rural area, but they can no reliably provide 9 Mbps service over DSL.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@lenG wrote:

I have just cancelled my service after several years. In the past 6-8 months download speeds have been extremely erractic, but most of the time in the range of 0.5 Mbps. (Remarkably, upload service remained in the 2 Mbps range.) Radios have been changed without any benefit, and I have received various explanations for the problem, including issues with the satellite. Once CenturyLink began provisioning fiber in our area (we do not have access to a cable provider) I had no real choice, We are in a rural area, but they can no reliably provide 9 Mbps service over DSL.

I'm bit confused by your wording. Are you saying fiber (cable) is now available to you? If so, switching to it would be the smartest thing no matter the speed you're now getting with satellite.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I'm sorry, but what's the point of your post?  EDIT: By which I mean, what point are you trying to make?

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@lenG wrote: