cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor performance

Poor performance

I have had HughesNet for less than 2 weeks and the service is awful! I can only watch Netflix for about 5 minutes before it has to load and buffer again which takes 5 minutes in itself. When I signed up I told the gentleman that we didn’t plan on getting cable so we needed to be able to stream Netflix and vudu and I can’t do either! It is very frustrating when we can’t get the fast internet out here in the county but I would expect that we could at least load our show! Please help!
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Poor performance

@Bartsoff18

What definition are you trying to stream in?  Have you tried turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver?  

Keep in mind that HughesNet isn't designed for cord cutting.  

Also, please keep in mind that your service is in a "relaxed bandwidth state" during the first twenty days, meaning your monthly data allotment is continually being replenished.  After these twenty days your service will revert to normal and your data usage will start being counted.  The relaxed bandwidth state is discussed in the Welcome email from HughesNet.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Right now in my town in CT, at 11:52PM, 9/17/18, my time of downloading about 100MB data from Norton Liveupdate is more than an hour, and counting. When I test from HughNet, it says downloading speed at 20Mbit/Sec, another site says it's 2.3Mbit/Sec.

Which is true? Need me to say?

Distinguished Professor IV

@alanatct

If you need help with a speed issue, please start a new topic.  

Regarding speed tests, some cause the Video Data Saver to kick in.  Fast.com and Google's speed test are a couple that do this.  Because of this neither are reliable unless the VDS is turned off when testing.  

Testmy.net is the recommended speed test.  A LAN connected device, while the WiFi is disabled, and using the manual 25MB size for download tests and the manual 4MB size for upload tests, is recommended, and required when troubleshooting.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit