cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem getting mail through my Hughes connection

Tutor

Problem getting mail through my Hughes connection

I use Thunderbird to fetch my mail from six Microsoft accounts (Outlook & Hotmail). Last night I kept getting  a "can't connect to pop3 server" error and no mail. No problem connecting to my webmail interfaces or any other site by browser. I rebooted my modem which had been up for 33+ days and the problem resolved. I got my mail.

This morning (8½ hours after reboot of modem) I got the same error and no mail. I tried several different computers on my network with the same result. I connected my phone to a computer using Vz as internet provider and Thunderbird got my mail. No problem. That seemed to confirm the problem is with Hughesnet.

I rebooted the modem again and was able to get mail through my Hughes connection again. Next time it happens I'll screenshot the exact error message but it definitely has to be a conflict between Hughes and M$. This has never happened before. Any ideas?

@Amanda, @Liz, @GabeU

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Problem getting mail through my Hughes connection

Hi GW - can you ping the mail servers you are trying to connect to? Most recent articles point to pop-mail.outlook.com being the Outlook server. Hotmail is probably live.mail.com

Does your router have a custom DNS setting? If not, try the generic Google DNS 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 in the router, powercycle the device you are using and try again.

~Amanda

Distinguished Professor IV

I've personally not had any issues with my MSN mail service, though I'm not presently using Thunderbird.  When I did use Thunderbird, it was only for a short time and I only used it for a second Hughes email I set up, but I eventually deleted the email address and uninstalled Thunderbird.  

I'm not very versed on email issues, nor the setup of such (the email, not the issues Smiley Tongue ), and probably the only things I would have suggested would have been power cycling/restarting the modem and/or trying an alternate DNS server, like Google's, like Amanda mentioned.  

Glad it's working again, and I hope it stays that way.  Smiley Happy

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

Hi Amanda. Those are the correct server names. I can ping them now but the next time Thunderbird can't get my mail I bet I can't.

Everything in the ASUS router is set to automatic but I think it goes to OpenDNS for better security. The underlying numbers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. It's been that way since 2016. Is it a problem?

The only two times times this happened, rebooting the modem was the immediate fix. I'll try these other things the next time it happens.

Tutor

@GabeUwrote:

I've personally not had any issues with my MSN mail service, though I'm not presently using Thunderbird.  When I did use Thunderbird, it was only for a short time and I only used it for a second Hughes email I set up, but I eventually deleted the email address and uninstalled Thunderbird.  

I'm not very versed on email issues, nor the setup of such (the email, not the issues Smiley Tongue ), and probably the only things I would have suggested would have been power cycling/restarting the modem and/or trying an alternate DNS server, like Google's, like Amanda mentioned.  

Glad it's working again, and I hope it stays that way.  Smiley Happy

Thanks Gabe. I've been using Thunderbird since I quit using Outlook and Outlook Express a very long time ago. It's a great program.

Hi GW, The next time you do have an issue then please do try to ping the servers before anything else. I suspected DNS being an issue since rebooting the modem helps. If there is some sort of discrepancy on the server you are trying to reach and the DNS address used to resolve, rebooting would fix the issue at least until something changes but I don't think the OpenDNS is at fault. I don't see your ASUS hooked up, do you only use it in certain instances? -Amanda
Tutor

Hi Miss Amanda. The router is always connected. It's the only thing connected to the modem. I can see it from my side of the modem by looking at Connected Device Info.  See screen cap. The time coincides with the completion of the modem reboot this morning.

I hope my mail doesn't goof up again but I'll do the pings and capture the T'bird error popup if and when it does. It does pop up with each connection attempt to all the mail servers.

router.JPG

Hey GW,

It seems our MAC table might be a little off Smiley Happy That address returns as a Canon device, so then yes I do actually see it. I think the only thing we can do now is wait to see if the connection breaks again and get those ping results. In the meantime I'll bring it up with engineering and see if this something they are already or have already worked on.

~Amanda

Distinguished Professor IV

Interesting.  Mine shows up as the router model...

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

@Amandawrote:

Hey GW,

It seems our MAC table might be a little off Smiley Happy That address returns as a Canon device, so then yes I do actually see it. I think the only thing we can do now is wait to see if the connection breaks again and get those ping results. In the meantime I'll bring it up with engineering and see if this something they are already or have already worked on.

~Amanda

Hmmm. I do have a Canon laser that's plugged into the router and my main computer is plugged into the router. There's also a Samsung laser that connects to the router by wifi. The router is plugged into the modem.