Problems with signal - Gen 4

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prsmart
Sophomore

Problems with signal - Gen 4

For the past several days I've been having a LOT of connection problems. I'm just getting a chance this morning to try to look at things, and if I look at diagnostics - hourly history it shows uplink problems every hour. Please advise what I need to do to get my system running right! Service is very intermittant with constant interruptions. Service is almost unusable - unstable and stuff will have to be repeatedly loaded. Please help with this problem!

Thank you-

21 REPLIES 21
Liz

Hi prsmart,

Thanks for posting, I pulled up your account to run diagnostics, but I can't communicate with your modem. Is it currently powered on? 

Do the disconnects occur even while your computer is directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

It's on, and has been, but it goes out every 15-20 mins or so. It's up right now, and shows.fully operational. You can see the transmit light go on/off when it's having problems, and sometimes the receive or system light too. This has been ongoing for a few days now, and it doesn't matter if connected directly or not. 

Thank you for the confirmation and the additional information. 

I'm having our latest modem, the HT2000w shipped at no extra cost to you.

Your new HT2000W modem will arrive within 5 business days. Once you receive the modem, connect and power it on up to an hour so it will activate automatically. You do not need to return the old modem. Please dispose the old modem properly according to your local waste management guidelines. To check the status of your order, go to rmastatus.hughesnet.com where you can use your SAN and zip code to track your shipment.

Please let me know how the new modem works out for you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thank you! I look forward to getting this problem fixed. I will let you know how it goes.

Just an update that I have not received the modem, nor can I find shipping status using the link you showed. I'm still having problems.

Thank you for your assistance.

Hi prsmart,

Thank you for letting me know. I'm digging into this, there seems to have been an RMA system issue that was recently resolved. I'm checking on the status of your modem. I do apologize for the delay, rest assured we'll get the replacement modem out to you.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Any updates on when I might get the modem?

Hi prsmart,

Thank you for checking in, I'm investigating now and escalating this. I'm unsure why my requests to send you a new modem aren't going through. I'm sorry for the delay, I'm getting to the bottom of this and will let you know once we are getting a new modem out to you.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Good morning, 

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

I have received (finally!) and installed the modem. While things are better, I am still experiencing quite a few uplink errors. What could be the cause of those?

Thank you-

Good morning prsmart,

Thank you for this update, glad you have the new modem. What exactly are you experiencing that prompted you to check your diagnostics? Are you losing internet connectivity? Are you unable to load websites? Can't stream media? 

At times seems to lose internet connection briefly, however it's a whole lot better with the new modem. I was just checking diagnostics to see if it still had those errors really. Is it normal to show those errors at times?

Thank you for the additional details. Uplink errors may happen from time to time due to various factors, including inclement weather at your location and your gateway's. If you start to lose connection more often like before the modem swap, please let me know.

I am sorry to hijack this message ( I could not find a way to ask a new question.), but today we have had numerous times where our signal strength drops to 5 - 9 (usually it is between 95 - 105) and we are unable to access the internet.  We have powered down the modem and it seems to make no difference.  As of this minute our signal strength is 84. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@WVmom21

Do you know what satellite and beam you are on?  You can find out here (in the Satellite box)...  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information

Adverse weather at your gateway location can affect your service in the same way as weather at your own location.  There are a lot of storms out west today.  My own parents, who have Gen4, had their service go down due to storms today at there gateway location, which is in Billings, MT.  

GabeU,  Thank you for your reply to my question. 

Our satellite information:  

Satellite NameEchoStar-XVII
Gateway ID4
Beam ID24
Outroute ID38

We had clear skies here in WV yesterday.  I would have understood the problem with the signal if we'd had storms or even heavy rain.  

GabeU

@WVmom21

That's interesting.  I didn't know that Beam 24 extended that far, but you're on the exact same beam as my folks, here in Western NY state.  The problem you experienced yesterday was most definitely tied to severe thunderstorms over Billings, MT, where the gateway for Beam 24 is located.  

If you look on the following page, you'll see the IP Gateway Association State string starts with something like J1BIL024...., or BIL024...., or something similar.  The BIL is Billings, MT.   http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

If you think of the satellite as a sophisticated mirror, your signal goes from your dish to the satellite, then back down to a specific spot on earth where it actually enters internet, then everything in reverse, back to your dish.  The spot on earth where your signal actually enters the internet is the gateway, and that point, for Beam 24, is in Billings, MT.  

When my stepfather called me about the issue it was just before 3:00PM EST.  

Thank you, GabeU.  According to the information you gave me, I'm thinking that the storm out west was the problem with our signal loss.  

GabeU

You're very welcome.  🙂  

Hi WVmom21,

I live in Western MD and we had some pretty big storms not too long ago and some spotty thunderstorms this weekend, not sure if any of that made it to you in WV but if so, the dish may be misaligned, loose or have debris on it. We can run diagnostics and check on the status. I'll let you know what I find!

Thanks,

Amanda