cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random extremely low signal, clear day, no trees.

starhouse

Random extremely low signal, clear day, no trees.

For about the last week I've had issues: internet is down so I check my 1100 and see that it's having a problem downloading data; signal strength is extremely low, 30's or less on a clear day with no trees in the way. I reset the modem and slowly the signal will start rising again and after 10 minutes or so, is back up to 92. But it will happen again at random times. Anyone else seeing this?
113 REPLIES 113
Amanda

Re: Random extremely low signal, clear day, no trees.

Hi Starhouse,

That's a very odd issue to have. I can see if I can locate your account and check the equipment diagnostics. In the meantime, could you let me know if you have the modem plugged into a wall socket or a strip/power surge protector? 

Thanks
Amanda
starhouse

Thanks Amanda. It's in a surge suppressor.
Amanda

Hi Starhouse,

I looked at your installation photos, diagnostics and I have a real-time refresh on your signal strength. I do see it is hovering between the 88-91 area. Can you try and plug it right into the wall and see if that makes a difference? If not, based on these charts we will probably have to send a tech out to repoint your dish, but I want to see if it is a low power issue first.

Thanks,
Amanda
starhouse

I can do that when I get home. Actually, it has always been in that area and it's been pretty reliable.
starhouse

OK, I checked the voltage and it's 119v, I don't really have a way to plug it in by itself and I couldn't leave it like that anyway :-) I'll check the voltage again when I'm having trouble and see if there's a correlation.
starhouse

This a page from the logs from yesterday; when I looked at some of them from the other days, I see quite a few: Outroute Lock On Wrong User Beam: OSDP=35 Expected=12.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Gremlins I tell ya.. Gremlins... Amanda, isn't this similar to an issue that killed my HT1000 a long while back that we spent a good amount of time on trying to get it to come back online?
Amanda

Maybe.. looks like its signal/pointing related though.
Amanda

Hi starhouse,

Like I mentioned above to C0RR0SIVe, its probably a pointing issue then. I'd like to get a tech out - whats your availability like?

Thanks
Amanda