Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sweetpea3829
Tutor

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Ok, I posted about this on a similar thread, just a couple of days ago, and that thread has been deleted.  

Every data cycle, we start off doing just fine.  Our data depletes by about 2-3 GB during the first half of the cycle.  Then, during the second half of the cycle, the data just DRAINS.  Nothing changes in our usage from the first half of the cycle to the second half.  

This has been going on for several months.  

To answer some questions I've seen asked of others...

1) Wifi is never left on on any of the devices that we own that use it.  (This would be a number of tablets...all of which have their wifi turned off unless I, specifically, turn it on...only mom knows the password).  

2) Our phones' wifi is turned off (occasionally they are turned on, within range of our Hughesnet modem, but they are never left on, and we do not update under our own Wifi...that's what the YMCA wifi is for).  

3) We are not experiencing data stealing.  Our neighbors are old order Mennonite.  They do not have devices that use wifi.  Plus, we are password protected.  

4) My laptop is not automatically updating.  It only updates when I tell it to, and that's only during the 2AM-8AM time frame.

5) Our satellite TV is NOT connected to the internet.  I can connect it, but have only connected it during the 2AM to 8AM time frame.  

Again, during the first half of the month, I can check FB, email, news stories and watch the occasional short youtube clip and the data depletes at an expected rate.

During the second half...just leaving the modem turned on, and with no actual browsing, is a guaranteed half GB loss each day.  Yesterday evening, I had 2.7 GB left.  This morning I had 2.1  

I have today and tomorrow left in this data cycle and I'm almost guaranteed to run out of data at some point tomorrow, unless I turn off the router and browse only on my phone's data.  

Why is this happening?  And why has this been happening off and on for months?  

319 REPLIES 319
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, this is known as an isolation test and will help determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  If on the HT2000w, please disable wifi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect, it is best when doing step two, to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occured, but should be rather negligible. 

Corrosive...I doubt this will be necessary.  The data does not deplete when I turn the router off.   Soon as it's back on...the drain begins.  

Just since I posted this, I've checked FB once, and come back here, and the data has drained another .20 GB.  .  

Have you turned off wifi on the Gen 5 router for both 2 and 5Ghz and unplugged the ethernet cable from the PC that connected to the back of the router for say an hour, then re-connect and see if any data was used.

At a minimum I would turn that wifi off on the router so you can be 100% that no wifi device is getting any data.  And whatever PC is connected via LAN, just turn off if you don't want to disconnect from teh router.

But to me 100% ruling out any rogue wifi device getting data, just turn off wifi on the router.  Easy as a few clicks and it is done.  Then leave for an hour or so and see how much data is used.

TJ

you know what gets me is you pay $65.00 or so a mo for a service and it wont work right,,, OR you have to do all these other things to keep from losing data.  If you live somewhere where there is no service , I could see it MAYBE...But this is the WORST service ever. pay that much and you have to watch youtube in the lowest resolution there is REALLY!!!!!    THIS SUCKS

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gunnerdog

This thread is about a particular subject.  Please have respect for the OP and the people trying to help her by not posting your unrelated complaints on this thread.  

Thank you.  

@Sweetpea3829 wrote:

Corrosive...I doubt this will be necessary.  The data does not deplete when I turn the router off.   Soon as it's back on...the drain begins.  

Just since I posted this, I've checked FB once, and come back here, and the data has drained another .20 GB.  .  

You didn't read the instructions clearly enough...  There is no mention of turning the HT2000w or HT1100 off, you are to disable Wifi on it, and disconnect all LAN cables as well as take screenshots and document the exact time of each screenshot.  Not performing this test means that we wont be able to help you further.

macsociety
Advanced Tutor

@Sweetpea3829 wrote:

Every data cycle, we start off doing just fine.  Our data depletes by about 2-3 GB during the first half of the cycle.  Then, during the second half of the cycle, the data just DRAINS.  Nothing changes in our usage from the first half of the cycle to the second half.  

I am surprised anyone can only use 2-3GB in 15 days....  That would mean barely using it to me other than emails and basic web site with a few YouTube low res vids.  I mean just 1 Netflix will cost you 400MB at SD definition.

I work from home and on email most the day, quite a bit of web browsing but the same work sites I have to access, and maybe a couple YouTube videos streamed at low 240p or max 360p resolution, and I eat up minimum 1.5GB per day.  Most days I am hitting 2GB per day.

TJ

And yes, data use from Hughes does seam to be double what I used to experience with Gen 4 when I left the service Spring 2017.  I used to use 1GB per day with Gen 4 and what I feel doing the same kinds of use, now under Gen 5 that I am on, I am hitting 2+GB per day.

A number of others have mentioned the same thing.  Something in how data is counted seems different from Gen 4 to Gen 5.

TJ

Mac, exactly.  We don't do Netflix.  We don't do youtube (except for the occasional funny 2-3min clip from FB).  Because we only have 10GB a month, we are pretty conservative users.  

Believe me, if we had wired internet, we'd be much bigger users.  But for the most part, internet is a side thought here.  Pitfall of living so rurally.  

lothar0
Freshman

I had almost the full allowance thus morning. I went to a doctor's appointment, come back 2 hours later and its zero. This is ridiculous.

Yeah...neighbor came over this evening to search for heavy duty hinges.  We did some googling and some Amazon.  Data dropped from 2.0 to 1.8 in just a few minutes.  

Ridiculous.  

I will attempt the test tomorrow.  Day after tomorrow, the data resets and the usage will likely return to normal depletion rates.  Doesn't make any sense that the usage would be normal for two weeks and excessive for the next two.  

Also...I'm not sure which "Gen" we're using.  I never upgraded to Gen5, I don't think.  

200mb is a burp for me, grin.  A few web pages and emails uses that fast.

I started the day with 18.5gb and down to 17.4GB right now.

Watched maybe 1 short Youtube video.... everything else has been Facebook, work web sites, emails, the norm for me.  By tonight at midnight and with the wife getting home soon, that 17.4GB will probably be 16.7GB.  😉 

TJ

image.png

@Sweetpea3829

A 10 GB plan only allows for 333 MB Anytime usage per day if you are to avoid data depletion.

You very likely are overlooking or are unaware of one or more background processes.

The only way to be sure of what is using your data is to purchase and install a router that allows you to track data per device.

I use an Asus RT-AC3100 and can see every bit and byte used by every device, when it used and what programs and processes used the data.

I suggest you read the following topic:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

Frankly, you have more going on under the hood than you are aware of.

Gwalk, that may all be true. Few things though...

1) I have a pretty good handle on what uses data in our home. Believe me, if it uses data, I'm aware of it, and WiFi is never on by default. And, in fact, WiFi access for anything requires a password.

2) Because we do not have much data, I'm very careful with browsing. I don't download movies, pictures, etc., unless it's overnight. (The one time we downloaded a movie through Directv, it was overnight and it drained nearly 10 GB of data, which was annoying as heck, considering it should have been, what, 1GB? 2GB?). My kids are homeschooled and do not have private access to any data using devices. Period. I watch it like a hawk.

3) None of these possible answers you guys have mentioned explain the huge difference in depletion from the first half to the second half of the cycle.

That makes no sense at all.

DirecTV uses a tremendous amount of data when searching the guide, as well as for updating and data transfer for any on-screen apps, amongst other things (software updates, 'checking in', etc.). Recommend you only leave it connected to your HughesNet system when absolutely necessary and disconnect when internet connections are not needed.

Edit: You also might keep an eye on wifi signal strength of devices that are not close to your wifi router. If the signal is iffy, it may cause multiple resends to overcome wifi packet errors that will also drive your usage up.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Yes, the DirecTV is not plugged in for Wifi access.  I have it unplugged precisely because it's such a data suck.  I plugged it in once, after the 2AM cut off, to download a movie.  I'm constantly getting reminders from DirecTV to plug the internet in so it can update, etc.  

That's also a good point about the Wifi signal strength.  But...none of our Wifi-capable devices are allowed outside of the immediate range of the wireless router.  We're talking a matter of a couple of yards.  They are not allowed upstairs with tablets, they do not have phones, etc.  We're a tech-limited family in that they have very very little screen time.  Their tablets are mostly used for accessing a thesaurus, dictionary, books (which are downloaded either at the YMCA, or overnight), etc.  

I'm also guessing that the tablets' wifi are turned off when not in use? Those things have a habit of also using a lot of data in the background.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.