cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

Advanced Tutor

Re: Rapid data drain during second half of data cycle

@Sweetpea3829

I MAY have an explaination for you...especially if you are using Windows 10 platform.

..toward the middle of each month, Microsoft sends us Window 10 users all a little present (whether we like it or not) in the form of a

Cumulative Update, Windows 10 Version 1709

The download size of these monthly updates are often upwards of 1 - 2 GB.

Last month, November 14th, Microsoft issued the following KB4048955 cumulative update

Windows 10 Update kb4048955

and this month, December 12th, Microsoft issed the following KB4054517 cumulative update

Windows 10 Update kb4054517

You may very well be seeing the effects of these large AUTOMATIC downloads toward the middle and end of the month and may very be the reason your data may appear to be 'tanking'...

If this is the root cause of your problem, you can go into your Windows Settings, > Network & Internet,> Ethernet, and turn on your Metered Connection option.

Instead of these updates automatically downloading, they will simply be displayed as being 'available' for download under Windows Settings, > Update & Security > Windows Update and you can then manually download them at your convienience. 

(I usually download them very early in the morning around 6am..if I'm awake, during my bonus zone period)

Advanced Tutor

I also meant to add that even though these updates are issued on a specific date...your home computer may not recieve these updates for a few days afterwards.

Last month, the update was issued on Nov. 14th, but my own home computer never downloaded the update until Nov. 21st...

and this month, even though the update was issued on Dec. 12th, it wasn't until yesterday that my computer finally received them.

@bare65 wrote:

@Sweetpea3829

I MAY have an explaination for you...especially if you are using Windows 10 platform.

..toward the middle of each month, Microsoft sends us Window 10 users all a little present (whether we like it or not) in the form of a

Cumulative Update, Windows 10 Version 1709

The download size of these monthly updates are often upwards of 1 - 2 GB.

Last month, November 14th, Microsoft issued the following KB4048955 cumulative update

Windows 10 Update kb4048955

and this month, December 12th, Microsoft issed the following KB4054517 cumulative update

Windows 10 Update kb4054517

You may very well be seeing the effects of these large AUTOMATIC downloads toward the middle and end of the month and may very be the reason your data may appear to be 'tanking'...

If this is the root cause of your problem, you can go into your Windows Settings, > Network & Internet,> Ethernet, and turn on your Metered Connection option.

Instead of these updates automatically downloading, they will simply be displayed as being 'available' for download under Windows Settings, > Update & Security > Windows Update and you can then manually download them at your convienience. 

(I usually download them very early in the morning around 6am..if I'm awake, during my bonus zone period)

Unfortunately, this solution won't work for us.  I refused the Windows 10 upgrade and am still running the previous version (I think that's Windows 7?  I don't even remember...whatever was available in 2010).  

And, I suspect the late cycle slide is beginning.  

I've barely been on today and the data is DROPPING.  I'm going to double-check and make sure all devices are off, and that WIFI is off on all devices that have it.  

image.png

How about turn off wifi 2.5 and 5ghz on the router... then you know 100% non of your systems or any neighbor can't be leaching on to get data.  That way only the 1 PC direct connected to the router has access.  Leave that one system off and you should have zero data being used I would say.

TJ

Tags (1)

@macsociety wrote:

How about turn off wifi 2.5 and 5ghz on the router... then you know 100% non of your systems or any neighbor can't be leaching on to get data.  That way only the 1 PC direct connected to the router has access.  Leave that one system off and you should have zero data being used I would say.

TJ

TJ, how does that work?  How would I go about doing that?  

I feel pretty darn confident that the neighbors are not leaching data.  For one, none of them are close enough to leach anything from us, lol.  For another, they are Old Order Mennonites.  All of them.  Think horse and buggy.  They actually come here when they want to use the internet, which isn't very often.  I do some side work for them here and there.  

So far today, I have not been on much...certainly no more than I was on the rest of this month.  Current stats...

image.png

Literally, I only posted the previous post with it's screen shot...and this is the updated data...

image.png

Distinguished Professor III

@Sweetpea3829 wrote:

@macsociety wrote:

TJ

To disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see the section titled "How do I manage my built-in Wi-Fi modem?" in this PDF.  You may have to perform the steps for each radio individually, as unchecking "Enable SSID" on all four, then clicking on "Save Settings", may not actually save your settings.  So uncheck "SSID Enable" on the 2.4Ghz radio, then click "Save Settings", then do the same for each of the other three (2.4 Guest, 5 and 5 Guest). 

This will make sure that absolutely none of your WiFi devices are using your data.    

Also, you should install Glasswire on your computer so you can compare HughesNet's data tally to your computer's, as showing that you're using more data during the second half of the month doesn't really show anything other than you're using more data during the second half of the month.  It's still not evidence of a data drain.  You have to show that data is being depleted that none of your devices used.   

https://www.glasswire.com/  

Under the Usage tab in Glasswire, click on Options, which is to the upper right of the circle graph.  Choose "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External".  

P.S.  Sorry for all the notifications.  Each time I make an edit it sends out another email notification.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

And yep, the slide has begun.  A little late this month.  So, let's recap...

1) The data usage is inconsistent in HOW it depletes from the beginning of the cycle, to the end of the cycle.  

2) There ARE NOT WIFI devices sapping data.  I confirmed that they were off this morning when I first posted, and nobody has touched any of the tablets.  Neither have our phones had the WIFI turned on. 

3) Automatic updates are turned off.  

4) Neighbors are not stealing data.  

5) We are light users, because of the data cap.  No streaming, no music, occasional short youtube videos (usually from FB).  Directv is NOT connected for internet.  The kids do not have gaming systems.  

6) I have turned off the modem, router, etc., and confirmed that data is not draining when they are off.  

Tonight, I did some googling for some DIY cedar chest plans.  I watched the data usage.  Pages would load and consume much more data than was happening at the beginning of the cycle.  

This is not a vampire data issue.  There is nothing else sucking data that shouldn't be.  

Just to reiterate...the data consumption is not consistent from the beginning of the cycle, to the end.  Perhaps the data consumption is less what it should be at the beginning.  Perhaps data is being used at a greater rate than it should be at the end.  I'm not sure which it is.  But whatever the case...I'd really appreciate answers as to why pages are consuming more data at the end of the cycle than at the beginning.  

image.pngScreen capture when I started writing this post.image.pngScreen capture after the few minutes it took me to compost this post.

I feel pretty darn confident that the neighbors are not leaching data.  For one, none of them are close enough to leach anything from us, lol.  For another, they are Old Order Mennonites.  All of them.  Think horse and buggy.  They actually come here when they want to use the internet, which isn't very often.  I do some side work for them here and there.  

Not sure if you saw my Avatar but is a Mini Me Amish that kinda looks like me <grin>  I am not Amish nor Mennonite but ever since my teens (I am in my 50s now) I was facinated with the Amish and Mennonite groups.  Every blue moon we even have Amish night so no TV, no lights, etc... and just play cards or read by lantern light.  Used to always love getting the Lehman catalog every year and have tons of books about the Amish.  Have a few plain magazines and newspapers too.  ;-)

Good luck finding that data drain.  Did you kill off the 2.4 and 5ghz radios on the modem so you know also that you are not leaching on yourself?  I know you said you turned them all off but why not try it... just to me 150% sure.  ;-)

TJ