cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for next version of Usage Meter

Associate Professor

Recommendations for next version of Usage Meter

After going through the process of seeing where data leaks are, I started to realize that the Usage Meter could be a great tool to figure out what's going on. The problem is was that the data as provided wasn't really resolute for something like that. So I came up with some ideas of how to fix that:

1. More digits: May be my personal preference, but showing the data in terms of MB (like Account/Usage on the web site does) is a lot more helpful than in GB with one decimal place. That will give you only 100MB resolution. Also prefer percents showing to 1 or 2 decimal points depending upon how it tends to vary. In this case using 1 decimal places for the percent usage and 2 decimal places for remaining time (which I added, btw).

2. More data: Again, personal preference, but it's a lot easier if you don't have to math in your head. So, I added a remaining data to the donuts. I also added back the progress bars, with markers showing where you should be (on average) as well as how under (or over) you are. This was always the best way to see if you were burning data too fast or too slow. It also gave you a way to generally plan and manage things better. I also added (as stated) a percentage to the time remaining. If the progress bars never come back, this at least gives you an indication of how you're burning wrt to the percents in the donuts.

Here's a mock-up of the Mac version:

Usage Meter.png

Yeah, it's kind of geeky, but I thought I'd share. Haven't spent much time on the Usage History graph, but have some general ideas for that as well.

Comments?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Tags (1)
54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Recommendations for next version of Usage Meter

It would be nice if the Usage Meter broke down the data a bit more like the site does, but even more so I would like to see the bar graph showing the percentages of the data used and what's left like it used to show.  Why they got rid of the latter I simply cannot fathom.    

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Hi Mark!

These are great suggestions, I love the mockup! Thank you for taking the time to create and share with us. I've e-mailed your feedback to our developers for consideration, thank you again!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

@GabeUHeh... the code for the progress bar is actually still there, they just commented out the call to it.

@LizThanks Liz. That was actually a working mock-up from v6.6.1 with a few html, stylesheet and javascript modifications. Had to make new bubble images for the progress bar tho. Hopefully nobody minds and I certainly can provide a tarball of the mods if the developers want it.

What's really good about this is it allows me to check overall usage in great detail without actually adding any usage via the web site or iOS app.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Hey Gabe, I'm still running version 6.2.0.  I take it 6.6.1 still does not include the wonderful Anytime data cycle usage/Data used bar .  I really depend on this to watch my data. So I guess I won't update like I was thinking ofdoing!

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@farmerhugh

No, 6.6.1 still doesn't have it.  I was hoping that they would put it back with the 6.6.1 release, but they either had it too far along in its design by the time I started the thread requesting that they add back the progress bar, or they don't really have plans to put it back.  I imagine, at least with 6.6.1, it's the former (or at least I'm hoping it is).  I really hope they put it back in the next one.

The last version that contained it was 6.5.3.  If one doesn't mind the popup, and, if they have Gen5, they don't mind not having the Video Data Saver adjustment on the meter, version 6.5.3 is fine.

With that said, I temporarily installed 6.2.0  so I could take the snapshot to show them the progress bar that I, and many people, would like to see back, but evidently it doesn't work with Gen5, or at least I couldn't get it to work.  It installed and opened, but it wouldn't show anything.  I uninstalled it and tried it again, but still nothing.  So I ended up using 6.5.3 for the picture.  I then reinstalled 6.6.1, mostly because of the annoyance of the update popup.  I always keep the Video Data Saver on, and I can adjust it by signing in if I need to, but that update reminder popup just became too annoying again.  Smiley Happy     

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Associate Professor

GabeU... the code for it is apparently still present, it's just commented out, and I want to say some of the images used in the past was also present but removed in 6.6.1.

@MarkJFine Could you PM a link to the files to me so I can take a peak at them and compare the differences between your modifications and the official release from Hughesnet?

EDIT: So, I played with it a bit, a direct copy/paste of the files works good... Overall I like it, but it does feel a bit crunched.  Maybe remove the Megabytes in your plan, as that isn't really needed with the other two fields of information being available...

MarkMods.PNG

Highlighted
Associate Professor

@C0RR0SIVE

I agree with the plan available stuff as it tends to make it look cramped. I only left it in MB for completeness, but didn't want to leave it out completely. Perhaps changing it to GB, as you say, but adding it to the section title in a lighter gray in the same way as the plan dates are shown for the DATA CYCLE USAGE below, like:
I SERVICE PLAN DATA - 30 GB, and

I BONUS ZONE - 50 GB

That would certainly lighten things up and keep all the plan data consistent.

Have you found the part where the plan dates jump around like the old one used to? Think theres a bug in the way they establish the date ranges. Found part of it when I was calculating minutes remaining and it was a day short.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Something like...

this:
Untitled.png

I also dropped the font size on the bubbles from 12 to 11 so they wouldn't wrap so easily.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

More recommendations:

1. The bubbles in the progress bar should be filled with the window background, so they don't make a mess when they overlap:
usage.jpg

yeah... I finished downloading Assassin's Creed III from XBL this morning using ethernet cable... think it averaged close to 60Mbps, but that's another thread entirely.

2. the usage history does some really weird thing where it caches all of the data one time during the day, and stays that way. Even worse is if you display it right after midnight, it caches the entire day with no data... that's a bad thing. Might be a good idea to use the data from the Usage Meter to dynamically update today's totals in the Usage History... as such:

history1.jpg

(I had to redo this one so the amount is less, where the 9MB went I have no idea).

3. It would also be nice to put the daily usage back too:

history2.jpg

This way you can see where things go out of whack, like when I downloaded the rest of ACIII this morning. Also, rather than splitting the daily data in terms of download and upload, which is not real helpful, you can use the deltas from the arrays in the first chart to derive this. There's a trap in doing that, because people change plans in the middle of cycles, etc, but this is just a rapid prototyping exercise for me.

Comments?