cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router not recognizing anything plugged into the ports

New Poster

Router not recognizing anything plugged into the ports

I am trying to see if I can get my security dvr to where I can access it remotely.  I am not even sure if this is possible.

When the dvr is plugged into the back of the modem, it does not matter which port, the dvr cannot be found. However I have full access to the dvr and can control my cameras as usual on my computer on the local network.

Is there some sort of trick to getting the modem to recognize what is plugged into it?  I cannot assing a static IP to the dvr if I cannot find it. Or am I mistaken on this as well?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Router not recognizing anything plugged into the ports

Good morning ef326, 

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I pulled up your account to see what we can do. I see you have a business account and that you had success recognizing your DVR during a previous call to our business support line in January. Have there been any changes to your DHCP and related settings since then? This community is primarily geared for residential customers, I can't do much more than review your case notes. I highly suggest trying our business support line 1-800-347-3272 for live troubleshooting, as they will be able to confirm right away whether your DVR is being recognized by the modem.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

I'm not sure why any notes say the DVR is recognized by the router because after spending a decent amount of time on the phone with tech support I was clear I could not find the DVR listed. I can use the DVR and can see my cameras so obviously something is working.

However if you go to the drop down list of what is connected to the modem the DVR does not appear.  My computer and printer are connected as well as DirecTV and that is all.  Since it is the only device actually plugged into the router I would think it should appear to I can attempt to access the cameras.

Is it even possible to access the cameras remotely?

Assistant Professor

@ef326wrote:

Is it even possible to access the cameras remotely?

If the setup requires a static IP through the ISP then no. HughesNet addresses are dynamic. Only cameras that have been found to work are those that use a manufacturer cloud based server to access them.

New Poster

I have a business account and it is supposed to be a static IP.  It's not like any static IP I've ever set up previously.

I spent about an hour and a half on the phone with a great tech support guy. He went above and beyond. He could not figure out where the dvr is either. I could ping it but not get it to add to the list of connected devices on the modem.

He  finally had me hook up a Linksys router to the HT2000 and thought that would be able to remotely access the DVR. It did not work.  To be clear, I can log onto the DVR and control the cameras. It is just not in the device list and I cannot find a work around to set up port forwarding on a device that is not listed.

Assistant Professor

I looked right past the fact you are a business account customer. As Liz said, you need to talk to the business support folks since this site is geared towards residential customers. But yes, you  should have a static IP address and should be able to remotely access you cameras.

Hard to say what is going on but could be a modem problem or even something with your DVR configuration. You'll have to0 keep working with business support though.

Distinguished Professor IV

BirdDog,

I could be wrong about this, but I thought that static IPs for the business accounts were an optional thing and it had to be requested.  Again, I could be totally wrong about this. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

@GabeUwrote:

BirdDog,

I could be wrong about this, but I thought that static IPs for the business accounts were an optional thing and it had to be requested.  Again, I could be totally wrong about this. 

I think you are correct and it is an additional monthly fee. I do remember it being discussed here before.