cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLOW download & "broken satellite" story

Freshman

SLOW download & "broken satellite" story

When I returned recently from a trip, my neighbor, also on HN, mentioned that he had very slow response and Tech support gave him the Broken Satellite (like BlueSkyxxx) story.  They had no fix in sight and offered him the $30 reduction for 6 months also.

Sure enough, I, too, wait forever for a page to download.  If I run the Speedtest on the myhughesnet site, it shows download speeds around 0.3 Mbps.  Up load is the usual 4Mbps.  All tech support has done is gripe about the fact that I have 16 devices and that is why things are slow.  They are things like Sonos speakers, all on the local wifi side of the system.  I've had HN sine June  '17.  A speed test back then showed 38 Mbps, and it's been generally saatisfactory until recently.  Nobody has yet offered the courtesy of the $30 reduction, which would be a nice gesture until they get it fixed.  HN is really my only current option out here in the woods in Central VA.  Strangely, testmy.net shows about 23 Mbps.  What's the disparity?  All I know is that the reality more closely matches the sub-Mbps number.  Wazzup??

Don

Tags (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Assistant Professor

Re: SLOW download & "broken satellite" story

@Don23805
Are you on Echostar 17? I'm also in Central Virginia (albeit more North), but on Echostar 19. I get some slowdowns on Beam 68, but nothing like what you're describing.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

How do I find out which satellite & beam I'm on?  I saw a post with reference to the same terminology, but it didn't look like I had any say in it. 

This isn't a career or even a hobby.  I just want good service until FIOS gets here.

Don

Distinguished Professor III

@Don23805 wrote:

How do I find out which satellite & beam I'm on?  

Your satellite and beam are in the "Satellite" box on the lower right of this page of your System Control Center.  Look for "Satellite Name" and "Beam ID".

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior

My testmy results are in the upper 30s to mid 40s.  My browsing speed has recently tanked.  I'm doing everything I can on my unlimited mobile data plan on my phone.  The SCC page takes literally minutes to finish loading.  Sometimes I just give up it's taking so long.  It  used to "snap" open.  I just found out from ts that it's not interference of trees like I thought it might be.  It just took 50 seconds for the Speed Test page to fully load.  I just completed a HN speed test.  39.86 down and 1.51 up.  These readings are consistent with testmy.  Web Response: 3.4 seconds.  I don't know exactly what that is measuring because I can't get anywhere in 3.4 seconds!

Freshman

OK, I'm on ES19, Beam 84.  I'm cheking with my (also dead slow) neighbor to see if he's the same.

Assistant Professor

Ok. If you're much further north of Richmond, then you're pretty much in a fringe area.

You can compare it with the footprint of Beam 68.

For one thing, ES19 is definitely not broken, but there might be something going on in Albuquerque, NM. I believe that is where the ground station for that beam is located, which connects to the internet. Basically could be anything between your dish, that spot beam, the downlink to NM, to the ground station itself or it's internet provider.

Edit: I should point out that if Beam 84 is fringe for you, there might have been a good reason for getting assigned to it. I don't want to imply anything nefarious was done.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

Depending on how far south of Petersburg you are, the satellite EIRP (transmit power level) is 61 to 63 dBW which is 2 to 4 dBW down from beam center. Beam center is around Greenville at 65 dBW.

I am on ES17, beam 33 in Natural Bridge. EIRP at my location is 65 dBW.

Good morning Don23805,

Thank you for posting and bringing your concern to our attention. As the others have mentioned, the satellite is not "broken". Engineering is already working on the network in your area to provide service to all; improvements will come gradually.  Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

I'm about 10 miles south of Petersburg (37.0876, -77.3883).  As I recall, the installer was an independent contrator, back in June '17.  Don't recall any discussion about beams.  Who assigns them?  The pattern **bleep** with the neighbor.  We're both on 84, and having the same slow problems. 

This morning on the myhughesnet speed test I got about 20 Mbps around 0830, but now it's back to under 0.5 .

Why the huge disparity between the speed test on myhughesnet and from testmy.net, which makes it all look  great.  Except it still takes forever to load anything.

Guess I don't understand exactly how the beam thing works.  Each is a separate transmit/receive radio and each uses its own ground station?  If multiple customers on 84 are having trouble, how do you know if it's their ground end or the transponder in the satellite.  And why doesn't HN know and get it fixed?

It's academically interesting, but would be just as much so if I thought I was still getting the deal I signed up for.