Hughesnet Community

SLOW speeds - just got service today. HELP.....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alphadog_1
New Poster

SLOW speeds - just got service today. HELP.....

less than 1 mg download and upload... this is terrbible!

1 REPLY 1
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Alphadog_1 

If it's been more than four or five hours since your install, I would try power cycling the modem, which means unplugging it, waiting for at least a minute, then plugging it back in.  After plugging it back in, wait for at least five minutes, then see how it's doing.  

They normally say to give it up to 24 hours to be "settled in", including any updates the modem may need.  

If your'e still having speed problems tomorrow, I would run some speed tests, the instructions for which are below, and then post the 'My Results' page URL so that the test results can be viewed on that page.  Make sure to read them thoroughly before running the tests, and then run them as instructed.  They need to be run this way in order to not only demonstrate the issue, but also give important information to the reps that can help point them in the direction of the cause.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).