cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLVED: Gen 5 Not Connecting to Certain Websites

SOLVED: Gen 5 Not Connecting to Certain Websites

I have experienced the same problems as other users connecting to certain websites since upgrading to Gen5.  Tablets and phones connected and browsed with no problem but a Windows 10 laptop could not reach certain websites (both HTTP and HTTPS).  Still had the problem after disabling Plug and Play in the router.  Disabling IPv6 in the router allowed the laptop to get through to some of those sites but left the router unable to maintain a stable connection to the clients.  HOWEVER, leaving IPv6 enabled in the router and disabling it in the laptop's WiFi card allowed fast and stable connections to all of the previously unreachable websites.  Apparently enabling IPv6 both on the modem and on the WiFi card created conflicts.  To disable IPv6 in the WiFi card, view the Wireless Network Connection Status of the WiFi card, open the Wireless Network Connection Properties page and uncheck "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)".  Worked for me.  Hope it works for you.

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor I

Re: SOLVED: Gen 5 Not Connecting to Certain Websites

Thank you for taking the time to post this solution, TonyB!!

Jaq
New Poster

I tried your solution but it does not work for me. When IPv6 is disabled in network properities, I can't get stable connectivity. Also tried factory reset of the modem as suggested in another thread. Didn't work. Also turned off UPnP in the admin panel. Didn't work. 

There is one website that I have been using several times a month for the last 3 years. Never had a single issue until Gen 5 was installed. Now I get an error message that the page can't be loaded. After turning of UPnP the page loaded once but could not upload a 3 mb audio file. Refreshing the page brought back the error. (zamzar.com) 

I'm on a desktop, not a laptop, so I don't have a built in wifi card for my network. Do you have any suggestions that might work on a desktop? (Windows 7 Pro)

New Poster

I had a problem with a couple of my favorite websites shortly after install.  The problem was with HughesNet's DNS server.   I could reach the sites on my phone if I was away from the house and not accessing through Hughes.  All you have to do is use one of the Open DNS addresses in your Network configuration for IPv4   Try this.........Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network Connections> Right click on Local Area Connection and chose Properties>Click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4" and select "Properties" > Change the button from "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" to "Use the following DNS Server Addresses" and enter the following numbers 69.195.231.34 and 69.195.231.30. > Click OK a couple of times and you should be all set.