Hughesnet Community

Salesman Lied during Initial Sign up and now we are stuck. Now in order to cancel service Hughesnet want to charge $400, Absolutely insane!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frib2003

Salesman Lied during Initial Sign up and now we are stuck. Now in order to cancel service Hughesnet want to charge $400, Absolutely insane!

Salesman Lied during Initial Sign up and now we are stuck. Now in order to cancel service Hughesnet wants to charge $400, Absolutely Ridiculous! I called on 11/3/16, if calls are recorded for "quality and compliance purposes" any customer service rep could listen and see how deliberate the salesmen was in his attempt to get us to sign up for this crappy service. First, he said we WOULD NOT get charged data for basic web browsing (LIE). Second, he said with the plan we signed up with we could get roughly about 150 hours of streaming content through Netflix, Hulu, etc (LIE). With the plan we got we are lucky if we can watch one hour of programming on Netflix without burning through half of our monthly data. 150 hours compared to 2 hours is quite a stretch. Also, the service is sooooo slow that we wound up signing with AT and T to get their unlimited data plan. The service on our phones through their 4G network is 100 times faster than Hughesnet.

I made a call made to a customer rep and he stated that they give the customer 20 days of "uncharged" data so you can update your computer, devices, etc. I find this as a form of entrapment since you have 30 days to cancel without any fees so of course it would appear everything is going well if they are given  20 days without any data charges. I too fell for this trap, I thought we had great service but after 30 days it all went downhill fast. I am requesting to cancel this service without any fees since I was completely lied to by the salesmen. I have also voiced my opinions on twitter, follow me tinyradar, #hughesnetsucks.
9 REPLIES 9
Chris11
Alum

Hello frib2003,

Welcome and thanks for posting! Sorry to hear of your sales experience. We can definitely have your call reviewed and if you were in fact misled you may have recourse. I will get back to you as soon as we have more info.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris11
Alum

Hello frib2003,

Just wanted to let you know I am still waiting to hear back from our sales call review request. We haven't forgotten about you. Stay tuned.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris11
Alum

Hi Eric,

We received your sales call review results. They are listed below:

Intro: Customer advised not having any internet service in area.

4:30: The agent stated that if they were looking to stream 24/7 then it  wouldn’t happen. However,  you could get enough data to get a few hours a day.

6:30: The agent explains the Smart Browsing feature and stated that any kind of browsing, social media, email, or shopping online would be unlimited. Then he explained having 15GB of anytime and 50GB of bonus bytes which would be equivalent to watching Netflix or YouTube between 150 and 180 hours a month.

9:05: The agent reiterates Smart Browsing and explains that when doing basic things online it would not be using up data. Data would only be used when downloading things.

11:20: The customer asked how much it would cost if they went over the data limit. The agent advised no overages charges but that the service would slow down if the data allowance was exceeded. The customer stated they would not have to worry about data from just browsing and the agent confirmed.

27:20: The customer asked if they could watch a couple hours of Netflix every night and the agent stated that’s what it’s made for.

The agent will be coached on their areas of opportunity and be served written documentation regarding same.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. Although it doesn't seem this agent was deliberately trying to misinform you, it seems this was definitely an opportunity for coaching. The depiction of 150 to 180 hours is not in it's correct context and simple browsing not counting against your data is wrong. So, I've added a note to my case for you 102205239. Reference it when calling in. I've left notes instructing our account handlers to allow you to cancel with no fees. Sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations, however I hope everything goes well with your next ISP.

Thanks,
Chris
frib2003

Chris, I called to cancel today and your customer service reps had no idea what the heck I was talking about, I even gave them the case number above please fix it.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the inconvenience. I've added an updated note. Use the same case number and have them check for my addition.

- Chris
williemorgan
New Poster

Sales man lied to me about service, he also told me that i could use fax machine with this service, but i can't use fax machine with hughes net phone serivce, so i dont want the internet service either, the whole purpose of service was so i could use my faxs machine, so i don't want internet nor phone sevice, be sale man lied to me, and i'm not paying $400.00 to cancel, the speed is also slow, been having problems with internet service now i can scan to my email or nothing i just not happy with Hughes Net sevices its a waste of money, come get your equipment out of my yard, and house.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You are posting to a very old thread -- you may want to start a new topic with your issue to maximize visibility and get a quicker response. 

If your sales call is fairly recent, the reps will be able to pull it and review it to see what the sales person actually told you and what you replied.  You should consider requesting this call review.

Salesman lied to me on or around 2-9-2018, when i sign up for Hughes Net serivices, he told me that i would be able to hook fax machine up with hughes net voice service, after service was installed i was told that i couldn't us fax machine with the service from hughes net, now to cancel service Hughes Net want to charge me $400.00,  service hasn't been installed for 30 days so i should be able to cancel without having to pay, becauce sales man lied.

@williemorgan

As @maratsade has already explained to you, In order to get help with your own complaint, you will need to start a NEW topic.

You can do that by going back to the main page of the tech forum..

Tech-Support

You will see an icon to the right of your screen Start A Topic.

Simply click this icon and you will be able to start/create your own topic.

11.png

Upon doing this, one of the moderators will then address your issues/complaint.