Hughesnet Community

Service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brianne Ives

Service

Hughes Net is HORRIBLE!!!!! They gave me a month (30 days) to experience my service but it took half a month to get my phone set up bc of their modem didn't work. It is only June 8th and my "ALLOWANCE" is already up, and it just reloaded on June 3rd. I am off during the summer with my children; we love to watch movies and play on the Xbox, etc but now my phone won't even load Facebook. I am having to use / steal my sister-in-law's internet through Centurylink just to get internet. My 30 days was up on the 3rd but of I cancel now, I still have to pay $400????? 5 days after my 30 days ended. As much as I had to pay to get this CRAP installed and then they charge me so much money for internet that SUCKS??? Something else that is HORRIBLE, when bad weather is coming, I can't even watch tv because Dish goes out, and now I can't even look at my weather app because my internet SUCKS!!!!!!
8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Streaming TV/movies is not a great idea with Hughesnet, though it can be done, within reason.  Even streaming them in SD uses about 700-800MB per hour, which means about 8.5 hours of SD streaming with a 10GB data plan.  Adjustments have to be made when going to a capped internet service.
Brianne Ives

Well, they need to do something about this, I pay way too much and make way too little to pay for a service that doesn't meet my expectations!
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Did you research this service at all to get its limitations before you committed?

What were you using before HughesNet?

What else is available in your area? 
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Something else that is HORRIBLE, when bad weather is coming, I can't even watch tv because Dish goes out
Then, regardless of whatever you decide to do about HughesNet, you need a service call to get your Dish Network antenna properly realigned.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Phyllis McClain

Brianne, you need to take a deep breath . I'm a new user also but have had no problems. No, I knew going in I wouldn't be able to have true streaming video but the rest of the system works well. I did have some brief outages during the recent storms but that's expected. I would have had that with Comcast and AT&.T in Houston during these storms. I can't help with the technical stuff but as a start, make sure your personal modem is a new, quality product, and that everything is hooked up properly. You might want to buy new cables besides the ones supplied to you from Hughesnet. You also might need those telephone thingies (little connectors) on your phone line.

My sister has had Hughnet for several years. Sometimes she wasn't getting a good signal in the evenings but they've gone to new equipment and I think that helps her's. I got the new equipment when I moved in Jan-Fed.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Phyllis McClain,

I think Brianne's main problem with not being able to load Facebook and such is due to her data being used up and the speed being throttled back to 150Kbps.  The streaming is just going to have to be curtailed.  There's no way around that. 

I'm glad that you have had a good experience and also that you knew what the service is and isn't capable of.  I truly do feel bad for the people that aren't aware of what it means to have a capped service, then get it and are disappointed to find out there are certain things that they really can't do, or at least do fully and all the time.  It's great when used within its means.  I've had Hughesnet since 2004, but didn't upgrade to Gen4 until Feb of this year.  I'm so glad I did.

There's a lot of info on these boards of what needs to be changed on one's computer and such so that they use much less data than otherwise, including what to adjust on a Windows 10 computer, how to adjust Facebook, ad blockers, etc. 

It's a great service for those of us that don't have the traditional high speed services available to us.  I'm glad you like it.   

Brianne Ives

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled service.

REALLY??????????
Amanda

Hello Brianne
Thank you for your post & welcome to the community. I was able to locate your account by name and investigate a bit. I see that you did get installed on 5/3/16 and called in on 5/15/16 letting us know that the installer did not hook up your ATA. Upon looking at the notes from the installing company, they stated that you changed your mind when the tech came out and decided to cancel the voice service before it was installed. If this is not true, please let me know so we can address this with our installation managers. 

In regards to your data concerns, as our members have mentioned, streaming is possible on our service but it is not recommended to "binge" watch or watch many movies in the month in HD. Simply put, satellite internet is not like landline internet and does have limitiations. 

Please know that once you have exceeded your data allowance, your speeds will slow down (now with SmartBrowsing technology, 150kbps is sometimes a thing of the past - we're going faster now!) and of course that will affect how fast you can load up websites and videos. However, we will gladly escalate your case to our engineering department when you do have data to run tests. To get started, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/cant-use-the-hughesnet-speedtest-guide-for-testmy....

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Amanda