cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a story about Data Loss

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Sharing a story about Data Loss

Data loss is a subject frequently seen posted here in the Community and is one of the more difficult issues to address.

I wanted to share a story of a user who posted on DSLR of data loss issues but had the stamina to "keep digging" and found the overlooked source:

"Data Disappearing w/ non-usage. So what IS the ANSWER?The ol' disappearing data is finally happening to me I've read tons of complaints and hoops HughesNet makes you jump thru and questions to answer. But what I haven't read is what the cause has been determined to be and more importantly the ANSWER to how to stop it. To those that answer no to all the questions about usage and connections, etc and nothing applies to you, has there ever been a resolution? If so, what was it? I've yet to find an answer which makes me think it's them, not us! I'm on Gen 4"

The user replied much later:

"I posted this on another thread concerning the same topic but wanted to post it here too. I'm sure there are others with the same problem...

OK, I have solved (my) disappearing data dilemma. I hope it helps someone else. I found the answer a couple of months ago and things have been back to normal ever since I unplugged my Google ChromeCast dongles (2 of them).

Yes, Chromecast downloads those beautiful backdrops to the tune of 8-10MB an hour. I have two of them so it was totaling 15 to 17MB/hr. If you add that up it's over 10GB/month but you have to consider the bonus time where the data used is not going against you. Since I've unplugged the ChromeCast dongles, data usage has been normal.

Most people won't notice the data usage but satellite people sure will! As of right now, I know of no way to stop Google from downloading this unwanted data. Too bad because I really enjoyed my ChromeCast."

Source:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30590901-Data-Disappearing-w-non-usage-So-what-IS-the-ANSWER

And related:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30689746-Testing-Phantom-Data-Usage-Unplugging-Top-Cable-on-Hughes...

Tracking data loss issues requires a structured approach and plenty of patience.

Take nothing for granted, suspect everything until it is proven not to be the culprit.

In many cases critical settings are reset to default values by updates. In other cases (my Garmin GPS updater) software just doesn't do as its told.

5 REPLIES 5
Amanda

Re: Sharing a story about Data Loss

Reminds me of this case I worked a while back:

My grandson, who is in college, has gone back to school now and since he has been gone I am pretty much the only person in the family using the Bonus Time. Since reset a week ago I still have 23.4 GB of Bonus Bytes left and while my grandson was at home, my Bonus Bytes would be almost half way used up. Also the Daily Allowance is lasting a little long, but then again there are 3 other family members who use the Daily Time and it is down to 68% left, but that is still understandable for the number of people who use it. At least now I realize that we do not have any unexplained data usage as I thought all during the summer months. 

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/have-definitely-found-out-why-my-data-was-going-s...
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Most people who come from cable and DSL have no idea how much data different devices use in the background or what doing everyday things on the internet consumes . They never had to worry about it so seriously believe "it can't be on my end" when their data drains away, especially when they aren't actively using any devices. Meanwhile, those "inactive" devices are slowly chomping away.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I usually leave my Samsung Galaxy tab4 at work. Due to some connectivity issues I brought it home for a week. It chewed through 879 MB despite me having "pruned" its settings.

When it went back to work the "excess usage" stopped.

Those wireless devices are pesky.

Amanda

I have a Samsung S6 edge and it is probably one of the coolest devices I've owned (besides a Rift) and has really great ways of as you said, pruning your device. I've managed to cut my data usage by about a whole gig (I finally switched to auto pay and now get 1.5gb a month for $50 - what a deal, right?) 

The "Data Usage" section is different from what I had seen on the iPhones where it actually shows what amount of data per app you used on Wifi OR on Mobile. Denying location services to a lot of apps saved me too. I've also shut off bluetooth and bluetooth location services - did you know there is a feature in some apps that allows them to use bluetooth even if you have it disabled? Yep. And if you have a Google Account logged into your Samsung device with Drive installed (most new Samsung devices come with it), you can bet your photos are being automatically uploaded to Drive. 

My secret is tapping that "More" option in the top right whenever I can to see any possible ways to save data, because those precious gigs need to be saved for more important things, like catching Pokemon.

edit: Might I also mention that CCleaner is available in the Google Play Store (dont know about Apple, sorry!) and can manually or automatically clean your cache in your phone, delete empty folders and has an option to mass delete apps. 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Great find and post.  Sometimes things can cause data usage that you would just never think of, or never really even remember you have or have installed, for that matter. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro