cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris15
Freshman

Slow Gen5 download speed

eYpHgKmUs.png

I thought I was upgrading my internet service when I aquired Hughesnet. Apparently I was mistaken. I have been a customer for almost two months now and have had a modem crash within the first month. Since the modem was replaced and the internet was back up the highest download speeds I have seen were under 2MBPS. All of my concerns expressed to HughesNet have been unanswered and no one can provide me with any information other than the engineering team is investigating. The investigation has been ongoing for nearly a month now. I strongly feel that I am getting no where with this. Any suggestions?

14 REPLIES 14
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Because this community is a separate avenue of receiving help, I recommend running some speed tests at testmy.net, but using a specific protocol.  The reps on this site are corporate based reps, unlike the phone reps, so you WILL get help here.   

Please make sure to run the tests at testmy.net while signed into an account that you have created, with a single device that is connected via LAN cable (no WiFi), and with the WiFi in the HT2000W disabled.  Please make sure to use the manual 25MB test size for download tests and the manual 4MB test size for upload tests, though the download tests are the more important of the two.  If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see section 6 of this PDF, and make sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking SSID Enable for each radio separately.  

The following is the testing protocol, much of which I've already mentioned above....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Gabe,

I too am experincing the exact (almost) same issue as Chris15 only mine is going on nearly 2 months now. As a new subcriber (Nov. 2017) I'm trying to figure out why I'm paying for a service that I'm not receiving. I will start doing some testing and logging the results per your instruction, however, I find that out of 5 speed test sites I have used (including Hughes) getting similar results, testmy.net seems to almost always have significanty higher download speed results but I still am still unable to stream video. I have had a handfull of days (5 or 6)  where I had decent speeds and was able to stream OK.(?)

JeffG

GabeU

@JeffG

If you have previous HughesNet results they'll be able to look at them, too.  Make sure to mention that when you start your topic.  

As for streaming, try turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver to see if that makes any difference.   

Thanks Gabe,

Will do, I'll post results next week when I get more data on my plan.

As for the data saver, I eat data so fast (Ave. 1-2GB/Day-Up to 13 GB/Day) I keep that on as much as possible but will try anything at this point.I disconnected everything except my Windows 10 PC and Direct TV for now to moniter data useage on the TV box.

JeffG

GabeU

@JeffG

You mentioned DirecTV.  Be careful with a DirecTV receiver.  They can chew through a LOT of data in short order, and can completely wipe it out.  There's also no way to control it, save for disconnecting it.  Because of this, it is normally recommended that DirecTV receivers not be connected to HughesNet, or disconnected if they already are.  

When a DirecTV receiver is connected to the internet a lot of the things that are normally done through its own dish, like Guide, Search and Program updates, can be done through the net, instead.  And though I don't know for sure, I suspect that those instant watch movies that you sometimes see in the Guide are also downloaded via the net instead of DTV's own dish like they normally are.  This is, of course, in addition to any On Demand programs/movies.  

Also, the Video Data Saver isn't activated by DirecTV On Demand, so anything that's viewed this way will use the full amount of data, regardless of the Video Data Saver being on. 

In addtion, when the receiver is off it's not really off, but in standy, and still connected.  They can still use data when off.   

It's very likely that this is why you're using so much data.  

https://testmy.net/db/qrQIo0xpP.vQeFJOKEu https://testmy.net/db/ZK6XSFJQ0.9AiLlyTJU

So this is the results from four speed test throughout the day.

GabeU

@Chris15

Thank you for running the tests.  Those are most definitely very low speeds.  https://testmy.net/quickstats/Chris%20Bailey

I'll tag the reps so that they will be sure to see this thread and help you.  In the meantime, if you don't already, please be sure to leave your modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though it may take them a day or two to reply.  

@Liz

@Amanda

Gabe,

You are correct, Direct TV is eating my data! There are too many ways to list but series recordings is one that will automatically download from PPV in HD if you don't have the defaults set correctly, that is if set for ALL Series Episodes on a Premium Channel it will jump to PPV for duplicate and/or reruns. It took a bit to figure this out as after my data is used up the D-TV cannot recored these shows "Due to Slow Internet Speeds" but as long as you have data they will record. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Jeff G

PS: Still dealing with speed issues, Tech Support is slow but they are working on it for me. 

Thanks for the information. I will do as recommended and reply back to this thread when I have the tests completed.

Liz

Hi Chris,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting and sharing your testmy.net URL. I looked at your system and I see you've been subject to the Fair Access Policy since Jan 26, so your speeds are reduced. If you check your Usage Meter, you'll see that your monthly data reset is in less than 13 hours from now. If you would like to run more tests before the data reset, I've sent you a free token so that you can check your speeds outisde of the Fair Access Policy. 

To use data tokens, click on the Buy Tokens button on the Usage Meter (online or on the downloaded program), then click the Use link next to wherever you have available tokens. Please see the example screenshot below for reference.

Capture.JPG

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I'm sorry but this makes absolutely no sense to me. So in all my contacts with tech supprt and customer retention when it was indicated that there was plenty of usage remaining, you are indicating that my slow speeds are due to me using my data allowance. I have reference numbers of 108797053, 108539630, 108745843, 109055289, and 109055702 that are all regarding this problem. If the data has been used, the majority of it has been from running speed tests that I have been asked to do by HughesNet. I have not been able to stream anything as of yet with this service which it was indicated that it has the ability to do so. I have no idea as to how the data limit has been reached with speeds as slow as they are. I guess I will contact customer retention yet again and probalby waste another hour of my time in dealing with this to get no where yet again. If no one can resolve this issue I will just cancel my services and purchase crappy internet somewhere elsee for cheaper than HughesNet is charging.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the additional information. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz,

I'm chiming in again as I see Chris describing almost exactly my issue, that is my speeds remain the same whether I have data or not and mostly below 1Mbps. I get reloaded in two days and will be doing some speed tests per Gabe's testing protocols and posting results. I still have an outstanding case number (109296662) as I'm told Engineering is still working on my two month old issue. Below is a link to my test results from the Hughes site which I downloaded to an Excel Workbook and added notes. 

JeffG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gneyyd7erl00677/JeffG%20Speedtest%20Record.xlsx?dl=0

gforce

I have the same problem...  No one can solve the issue. I've had gen 5 for 6 months,  Gen 4 was much faster.