Slow Internet Never improves since June 12

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waay2kool
New Poster

Slow Internet Never improves since June 12

I have had your service for years and in march we upgraded to your gen 5.  I had gen 3 prior.  My speeds now are worse since the upgrade.  I have worked with support and they sent a tech out twice and replaced the receiver.  I just did another test and I got 1.21 download and 3 upload.  The download is the only issue.  The upload is fine.  Please help.

3 REPLIES 3
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Have you exhausted your monthly data allowance?

If you haven't, then please create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

After upgrading to Gen 5, I got really great up and download speeds for months.  Then last week I noted that the downloads were taking a long time so I ran a series of speed tests on Hughes.net.  Instead of the 40 - 45 MPS I had been getting, I now got 0.7 MPS or there abouts for download speed.  I called Tech Support and after the Hughes person couldn't find a problem I was "escalated" to an independent outfit that Hughes has hired to do more technical stuff - Home Tech Support.  The rep remotely checked out my system (computer, modem/router, satelite connection, etc. and was unable to find anything wrong.  He had me run speed tests on the testmy.net site and got much better results - almost up to the speeds I had originally received on the Hughes site.  He told me to only use the testmy.net site and suggested I talk to a Hughes manager, rather than the person who initially comes on when you call.  I did and that manager also told me to use the testmy site rather than the Hughes one too.  And he too ran numerous test and could find NOTHING wrong.  

I had several neighbors who have Gen 5 do the comparison of the Hughes and testmy download speed tests and they too got the same results.  CONCLUSION - there is something real wrong with the Hughes speed test.  They need to fix their in house issues! 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hence why we mostly depend on testmy.net... The Hughes test used to be reliable, back when Java was allowed to run in a browser, once Chrome and everyone else dropped support for Java, we had to move to asking for testmy.net results as that is the only other test that provides accurate results and stores the results in a database that is easily accessed by anyone.