cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds - High latency, Video buffering

Highlighted
New Poster

Slow Speeds - High latency, Video buffering

I have had service for a month as of the 23rd,  Can't play a single video or stream a movie with out it buffering,  Tech support test the line and says the speed is there, I test with DSL report and get high latency and sporatic sppeds,  I have had spped tests at 3MB, 4Mb as well as 40+ Mb,  Tonight i get 41.6Mb download, and 811 Kb upload.

on May24th i tested at 4.67Mb and 877Kb,  I have spoken to tech support, he said there were router settings that needed changed, He was supposed to call back but never did,  Frankly, they need to come get the equipment, I have Hughes installed to increase my speed and availabiliyt over my WISP connection which is only 4Mb so that we could have multiple video streams, Definately not worth the Money, I want it re

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Slow Speeds - High latency, Video buffering

I want it removed with out an ETF. Which is what I discussed with Tech support. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@E050671 

Right now, streaming can be difficult due to not only the pandemic related increased system load, but also the prioritization policy put in place to help those schooling and working from home.  While your overall speed may show as adequate, both congestion and the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet can have a negative affect on streaming.  

A couple of things you can try are lowering the resolution of the stream and turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver.  

For security reasons, cancellations can only be done over the phone.  To do so, please call 866-347-3292.  If Tech Support made an offer of cancellation without an Early Termination Fee, the notes should be in the system for the cancellation rep to see.  

If you would instead like to troubleshoot the issue, the first step will be running some speed tests using a specific protocol, which I will post below.  Please be sure to read the testing instructions thoroughly before running the tests, and also be sure to check that you are not out of data.  Please keep in mind, however, that no specific level of service can be guaranteed, including the ability to stream without buffering.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Did Tech Support tell you that you could remove it without an ETF?

E050671 wrote:

I want it removed with out an ETF. Which is what I discussed with Tech support. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Actually when I called and complained, He suggested it could be disconnected and returned with out ETF but we were going to try a couple modem changes, That he would call back, or have someone in his group call back. But no one ever did, 

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Cool! Hopefully the tech person left notes on your record, so the official HughesNet reps on this site can check them this coming week and sort things out for you.  

E050671 wrote:

Actually when I called and complained, He suggested it could be disconnected and returned with out ETF but we were going to try a couple modem changes, That he would call back, or have someone in his group call back. But no one ever did, 

Highlighted
New Poster

The problem is not necessarily the speed, but the drop out during transfers. And yes the spped can be an issue too. from slow starts, high latency etcetera, Definately does not perform to the expectations that the salesman provided,  Talk about a bait and switch.

test-5.jpgtest-6.jpg
test-4.jpg

test-3.jpg

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@E050671 

Unfortunately, none of the information in those snapshots can be relied on as accurate.  testmy.net is the testing site suggested, and the only one accepted by the reps here.  

As for the sales rep, if you feel that appropriate expectations were not set by said rep, you can request a sales call review.  If that review determines this to be the case, you may have recourse concerning the Early Termination Fee if/when cancelling the service.  You can request that sales call review in the "MyAccount and Billing" section.  If you do, make sure to be specific about the discrepancy.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

E050671,

I see it's your first post here, welcome to the Community! I'm going to concur with everything Gabe stated, as speed tests are best from testmy.net, and we are able to review your sales call for any discrepancies in the MyAccount/Billing section. 

I was able to pull up your account and saw that you've hit your monthly high-speed data cap, so I went ahead and added 2GB to your account so we can do some testing with you. With the data on the account, everything seems to be running well here from what I'm seeing. Have you attempted to lower the resolution settings for whichever streaming service you're using? That normally helps quite a bit with the buffering.

Thanks,

Remy

Highlighted
New Poster

all of the above sites show latency and Dropout issues, Your recomended site does not.  But here is data from your suggested site. https://testmy.net/quickstats/mark-worley

Minimum☨ 2.77 Mbps : 1.04 Mbps
Average [show Median] 30.16 Mbps : 1.76 Mbps
Maximum☨ 43.89 Mbps : 2.38 Mbps