Hughesnet Community

Slow Speeds now Im told to wait 2 weeks.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Farris19
New Poster

Slow Speeds now Im told to wait 2 weeks.

Ive called and complained many times about how i can do nothing with huhesnet at night. I understand this is the busiest time of the night. But my household receives speeds as low as 1.5- 4.5mbs at night according to testmy.net and if we are lucky the speed will get up to 9.0 mbs. My account was even escalated after which i was called and told we have to wait 2 weeks for any resolutution. If i call during the day my internet works much better getting in between 11 nd 17 mbs sometimes even "doubling" what was promised. But only customer service is able to see the speed doubled on my end it say up 17 mbs. Thankyou hughes net. I have only one device connected during any time of the day and night and nothing changes. ALl systems i use are less than 50 feet from the modem. The weather has been beautiful here for weeks. But the signal has to travel from California so i have to wait at least two weeks for any resolution. I called today and filed another complaint they saw nothing wrong so nothing changed. Is there any help from hughesnet? I was informed that ther is no account management team, yet everytime i speak with someone they tell me they will transfer me to the accound management team in order for the work order to be processed. My account was escalated no help has been received. Also i am unable to use slow as a label or help.

17 REPLIES 17
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Farris19 

To get help from the reps in this community, they will need some speed test results from testmy.net using the following protocol...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the 12MB size download test file if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

The tests you mentioned have been done on multiple occasions by customer srvice and technical service. I was escalated and contacted by the escalated service and told my service will have issues for at least two weeks but only apparently at night. I understand that speeds are slower throughout the night but to be unable to watch even a 23 minute episode in low quality is simply very discouraging and unappreciated. Again i have run testmy.net with several "support" members from hughes net and have been told during the day my service is great and i should be having no issues. Than the same night being told im having issues and my case was escalated. The escalation has led to my internet will now be slow for 2 weeks and i have no choice as a paying customer except to pay an outragous amount of money to cancel a non-working service.

GabeU

@Farris19 

I assumed that since you posted here you were looking for help here.  I was just letting you know the way in which to get it.  The help here is not the same as the phone help, nor are the reps.  If you would like help here, the results of tests run in the way instructed are what they will need.

Doesn't technical support ever offer to compensate you with either a credit to your monthly statement or data tokens?  They almost always do that for me without me having to ask.  If they don't offer and I ask, they'll compensate.  And I have to wonder what these speed tests prove.  My testmy speed tests are mostly consistently in the 40+Mbps.  Even during this last month of horrible browsing speeds my testmy speeds are mostly in the 40s.  Error codes like 12.1.9 and still I have fast download speeds.  I've had this code all afternoon and into the middle of the night.  I think I'm done after 13 years.  I'm going to start exploring other options next week.

@monicakm wrote:

.......................................And I have to wonder what these speed tests prove

I posted about this some time ago,  I did a search for a thread where all of these data munching speed tests actually led to a solution, and was unable to find one.  I ended my post with a request for someone to point me to a thread where this happened,  I'm still waiting!

......................................  I think I'm done after 13 years.  I'm going to start exploring other options next week.

Best of luck!  I've been looking for over sixteen years now.  Except for the short time Mainstreet Broadband was in business,  there hasn't been a real alternative.  Mainstreet worked off a cell tower with an externally mounted directional antenna, was faster than Hughes, had no data limits, all for twenty eight dollars a month.  A lot of people around here felt like crying the day they went out of business.  That morning I drove twenty miles to the nearest Verizon store to get one of their hot spots.  I had to wait in line because six of my friends were already ahead of me.  Alas, I live in a cell phone black hole, and it refused to work in my house, or anywhere else on my property. This was over seven years ago, and since then the technology must have improved.  I now actually have a Verizon wireless land line telephone working at my house with the addition of small antenna.that mounts on the box.

Of course voice is a lot easier than data, but I think it's time for me to try another cell tower device. I'm in the midst of researching this right now, and I've found several companies that sell outdoor directional antennas for  them now. 

@gaines_wright 

Mainstreet worked off a cell tower with an externally mounted directional antenna, was faster than Hughes, had no data limits

This is the EXACT same setup that I'm looking into.  They have already been here to do a site survey to see if my location will work.  It will.

I was told about it a year ago but my contract with Hughes wasn't up till April.  The company is CIP http://www.getcip.com/ in Wills Point, TX.  When I called, they said something about bouncing off of cell towers and using fiber optics that run along railroads???  The plan I'm going to start out with is $20 less than my current HughesNet plan and no contract.  If that doesn't work, but I think it will, I'll bump it up to the next plan that is the same price as I'm paying now.  30ms latency vs 720ms.  I can't even imagine!

Can  you tell me more about the Verizon wireless land line?  We have only one option here for a landline and with stripping ALL additional calling features, including caller ID, we're still at $50/month for a land line phone (that we really don't want to give up after 40 years).  We get really good Verizon wireless service where we are.  What are the down sides to a wireless land line?

@monicakm wrote:

This is the EXACT same setup that I'm looking into.  They have already been here to do a site survey to see if my location will work.  It will.

Well if it works you ought to hang around here for a little while just to gloat!

I was told about it a year ago but my contract with Hughes wasn't up till April.  The company is CIP http://www.getcip.com/ in Wills Point, TX. 

Thanks for the link!  I'll definitely check it out.  I've been waiting seven years for someone to come out with a Mainstreet like internet service

Can  you tell me more about the Verizon wireless land line?

Well, here in north Florida if you go to a Verizon store, they'll sell you the box for $.99 plus tax, with a two year contract.  If you go to their website It's actually a lot more expensive.  I ony have a one bar signal at my house, and even though it seems to work fine wiith one bar,  I bought an external antenna for $21.39 ,.    You just plug your existing phone into the Verizon box,  and you can keep your existing number,  I didn't do so because, I thought it might throw off the telemarketers for a while.  Wrong! 

The service is only $20.00 a month but they hit me with an extra $12.00 the first month for some kind of insurance, but I had that dropped after the first month,  The only other problem I've had so far is that their answering service picks up after only five rings and is not configurable, so I called and had them turn it off.  Now the phone just rings through to my existing answering machine.  It seems like you have to do a lot of stuff  by telephone, rather than at the box, but unlike AT&T, Verizon actually seems to have enough people manning the phones, to not have to put you on hold for more than a few minutes.

BTW I'm of the opinion that all of the telephone companies are trying to eliminate all of their copper wire services, so you might eventually lose your landline anyway.  I think all of those hours I spent on hold with AT&T, was really just a ploy to get me to drop my landline   Well AT&T, it worked!  I just wish I had DirectTV so I could spitefully drop it also!  My guess is they're doing this is because it's cheaper to maintain cell towers rather than all of those miles of copper wire.

Now gloating wouldn't be a very kind thing to do.  We're all in or have been in the same boat and have no other choice but to use crazy expensive satellite option for Internet.  But, if it works as well as everyone claims, I'll come back and encourage others to see if they can find this option in their area.  I have a free month with HughesNet so I'll be here for another month.

Thanks so much for the info about Verizon wireless landline.  We're trying to cut costs everywhere we can.  I'm going to call in the next day or two and get some quotes.  I think with the new ISP we're going to have, the wireless land line should work better than with satellite, right?  Do you know if fax transmissions work with this?  If not, people are just going to have to email their plans to us.  SO much change!  It's confusing for old folks 😉  Ok, I have your info copied into an email and will present it to my local Verizon store tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks for the info!

I've had a chance to look into Community Internet Providers, and so far I don't like what I'm seeing. It seems very pricey to me. Since they don't have the enormous expense of putting up a satellite, I would think it would be a lot cheaper. I also don't like the way it's marketed by speed. Since their equipment will operate at 20mbs, does this mean people who are not willing to pay the extra money every month for the faster speeds are being throttled? I consistently get over 25mbs with Hughes now. Maybe the reduction in delay from 520 ms to 20 ms would make a cell tower ISP seem to be faster, especially when streaming videos. Back in 2012, when I had Mainstreet, it seemed to me to be faster than Hughes.

CIP doesn't seem to be available in my area, if it was, I'd pay the $200 installation charge, and give it a try. Especially, if I was having as much trouble as you've had with your Hughes system lately.

As for the wireless home phone, the documentation says it will run a fax. but I haven't verified this. 

I'm going to give it a try.  HughesNet keeps me in the system for 45 days so there isn't  a fee for coming back.  I have a month with CIP.  Get my money back if I don't like it.  My consistent download speed with HN is in the 40+ with testmy but I don't think that number means much of anything.  Yes, I think it's the ping/RT that is the big factor here.  Mine is 720.  Their's is 30.  I don't do gaming.  Just browsing, You Tube, banking, shopping.  No Facebook. Twitter, etc.  Don't download large files.  I MAY do things I don't now just because I CAN lol.  I plan to go to the Verizon store today to see about wireless landline to save 30/month and get back some calling features.  If the lowest CIP package works for Internet, that's another $20 saved.

LOL, two others have looked into CIP and said they liked it.  Guess I don't have anything to lose by checking it out and a lot to lose if I don't.

Will probably wait for a month tho as I have a free month with HN.  If you don't have anything better to do today (g) why don't you give CIP a call and tell them you're calling for a friend that is currently on a satellite ISP.  I've heard nothing of throttling.

Gotta run, busy day.

I consistently get over 40Mbps with HN but that doesn't make my browsing speedy nor does it mean I actually download a file at that speed so I don't know what good the testmy number is or what it  proves.  I'm sure the 30ms latency vs (my) 720ms latency is the the huge difference.  I'm planning on giving them a try next month.  I've not heard anything negative about their service from those that have it.  Their pricing is driven by the market.  Frankly, if I get consistent speeds and faster browsing with them, I'm willing to pay it.  If you are with HN you're paying insane prices now compared to what most in the US pay and for slower speeds so what's with the "It seems very pricey to me" comment? LOL  No one is on satellite because they want to be.  If it doesn't work out, I'll be back.

I have Verizon cell phone unlimited with a jet pack and get reliable, faster and consistant service than this crap hughs offers. What a complete scam this company is. I pay less for Verizon than I do for hughs. No slow downs, no slow loading web pages, I can stream movies and shows without buffering.  

maratsade

It's interesting to see the different experiences people have. I have Verizon as well and it's very slow and unreliable (and expensive to boot).   I have no problems with HN.  I couldn't do a thing if I relied on Verizon.

If you have such a good experience with Verizon, you may want to just use them as your ISP.  

mjob66 wrote:

I have Verizon cell phone unlimited with a jet pack and get reliable, faster and consistant service than this crap hughs offers. What a complete scam this company is. I pay less for Verizon than I do for hughs. No slow downs, no slow loading web pages, I can stream movies and shows without buffering.  

Well, as I am sure you know, it is a 2 year contract. I guess I could change my bank account and then HN couldn't withdraw anymore money.

maratsade

Sure, you could do that, but that would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. It  has more negative consequences for you than anyone else, but you're the only one who can decide how to proceed.  

Another thing you could try before you go that route would be to go to the main Tech Support page, click on Start a Topic, and give some details as to what's happening with your system.  You may have to do some troubleshooting, but the HN staff on this site would get involved and they could help you figure out how to fix the problem.  If the problem is unfixable, they may cut you some slack with the subscription. 

GabeU

@mjob66 wrote:

What a complete scam this company is.  

No scam here.  It works just fine, and has for nearly fifteen years.  They provide what I'm paying for.

Liz

Good morning Farris19,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply with the needed information. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!