Slow & Horrible!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcaggie03
Freshman

Slow & Horrible!

We have had HughesNet since about March when we moved. On my sales call, I was nervous about satellite internet since we had never had it before. I asked very specific questions on the difference in speeds that we would notice, answered specific questions about exactly how many devices would be running, that my husband is in grad school online and that I run an Ecommerce business. We are extremely heavy internet users and I was very concerned with the speeds. Also let them know we have DIRECTV and we stream all the time. I was assured that it could handle all the things I asked about and that we would notice a small difference but that we would be happy with the service. The rep also tried to upsell me into home phone service (which I repeatedly declined- we don't have home phone) and did a hard sell for me to sign up right away right there on the phone because we would take one of the final spots on the "newer satellite". Well, I folded and signed up, and then had the receipt emailed to me. It had home phone on there, so I had to call back and talk to Billing to get it removed. It was quite the hassle. Ever since, the internet has absolutely been HORRIBLE and not what I was led to believe. I have called multiple times, had multiple service follow ups where everyone told me it was all fine, and I had a rep that said to post on the forum and tell them to pull my sales call because we are so entirely unhappy with the service and what I was led to believe that we could potentially cancel without a termination fee. We are so done with this internet! My husband couldn't even submit his final paper because it was not connecting and loading the website!!!!! What good is internet if you can't be on the internet??? Anyway, we are completely unhappy and was directed here to have this resolved.
13 REPLIES 13
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It sounds like your primary complaint is your download speed, please read the following guide located at the link below to start testing your connection, and take into account, the important notes below as well when performing your tests.

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

You should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

They have tested multiple times. I would like my sales call reviewed as the rep had suggested.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@kcaggie03, besides doing what C0RROSIVE suggested, you should maybe ask to have your sales call reviewed. 

GabeU

@kcaggie03

Let me preface this by saying that the following information is ONLY regarding the utilization of DirecTV's On Demand service and the DirecTV receiver itself, not the other issues listed in your post.  

First, streaming, depending on the definition of the program, can use a LOT of data.  Though streaming can be done using HughesNet, it's generally recommended that it be done conservatively, due to the amount of data it can use.  Streaming in Hi Def can use 3GB or more per hour, so just three two hour movies in HD can burn through around 18GB or more.  If one has the 20GB plan and streamed during regular hours, that doesn't leave much Anytime Data for anything else.  Streaming in SD, or even LD, can save a lot of data in comparison, but even they can use a decent amount.  SD and LD can use around 700MB and 300MB per hour, respectively.  

The second thing is this:  DirecTV receivers can use data for things other than just On Demand services.  Guide updates, program descriptions, app updates, those "instant watch" movies (this one is debatable), etc.  Basically, even if you haven't watched any On Demand movies or TV programs, you could turn on your computer one evening and find that your data has been wiped out due to something the DirecTV receiver did that you didn't initiate or have anything to do with.  And the worst part about it is that there is no way to control it, other than turning your modem/router off, which could be a HUGE inconvenience, as turning the DirecTV receiver off doesn't make a difference, as it's not really off, but in standby.  It is normally recommended that a DirecTV receiver not be connected to the HughesNet service.  

With regard to the second bit of info, the sales reps may not necessarily know this, as it's not widely known.  As far as I'm aware, it's only really known in here due to people having it happen to them and posting what happened.  I just figured I would warn you that this can happen when a DirecTV receiver is connected to the service.  There's no guarantee that it will happen, but it can.  Most often, when people utilize On Demand, their receiver is connected to an unlimited service, so there would really be no reason for them to know, and most likely no opportunity for them to see, or notice, that the receiver is using data at times other than when streaming.  With a service that has a cap, or even a soft cap (the service is not cut off, but is instead throttled), like HughesNet, it's important to know.       

I hope you are able to find an amicable resolution to your issues, whatever it may be.   Good luck.  

Good morning kcaggie03,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I've located your account and submitted a request to have your sales call reviewed to ensure proper expectations were set during the call. I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you very much!

Hello.... has there been any update yet on pulling my phone call?
maratsade

@Lizis probably still waiting for the transcript, but I'm sure it's coming.  Hang in there.

Good morning kcaggie03,

Thank you for checking back in, oddly I haven't received a reply from this sales source, they're normally good at getting back to me. I've pinged them to see what happened with your sales call. If I don't hear back from them by the end of business today, I'll send you a private message.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thank you- I was wondering if it was normal for it to take this long or not.
eddygon
New Poster

Oh wow, it sounds like you got the same sales speech as I did when I got into signing in a 24 month contract with them. I asked specific questions as well. The representative told me that I was getting their best package for the price. All I needed internet service was just to do my basic on line gaming as well as to be able to stream videos on Netflix, Hulu and other streaming apps. I can honestly tell you that since I committed to their 24 month contract, I have not, I repeat, Have not been able to watch a full episode or complete movie at all. Completely disgusted with their service. Can't wait tiall my contract expires. Worst provider I ever encountered. Don't know how they are rated AAA in the B,B,B. 

GabeU

@eddygon

If you would like assistance with your issue, you should start a new topic.  You can do so by clicking on the "Start a topic" button on the upper right of the section pertaining to your issue.  

Liz

Good morning kcaggie03,

Thank you for your patience while we reviewed your sales call. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.