Slow and irratic internet speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DZzy
Freshman

Slow and irratic internet speeds

I continue to receive internet speeds that start slow, drag, speed up or just stop.  Sometimes it crawals.  At this time I am trying to load Netflix and they say my speed is to slow to stream.  For the last year I accepted the slow speed but now I really want to get what I signed up for.  Please help!  Here is the link to me results at "testmy.net"

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Deanandz

9 REPLIES 9
Damian

@DZzy,

Thank you for contacting us and welcome to the community. I am sorry to see you are experiencing slow speeds. When running diagnostics on your account, it appears you are using an external router exclusively. This prevents me from seeing the signal quality of the devices connected. When I ran a remote speed test to see what your modem is receiving, the results came back within the normal range for your service plan and even slightly above average. Because of this, I believe it would be best to move your devices closer to the external router you are using, for a stronger signal.   

When it comes to streaming Netflix, it is recommended to manually set your resolution settings, as it is on the auto setting by default. This will cause severe buffering since it is trying to cycle between many different resolutions during a stream. This can be done by logging on to your Netflix account on a desktop computer and clicking on your account information. There you will find a section for playback settings, where you can adjust it accordingly. Also, try disconnecting most of the devices from the network and streaming on one device connected to the modem via LAN cable. This will provide a quicker, more stable connection. If buffering is the main issue, downloading shows and movies locally on your phone is another option for you. You can do this by downloading the Netflix app and initiating a download to watch a show or movie offline. This would eliminate buffering completely and save you on data, since it is playing from a stored file and not streaming in real-time. You can find more information on this process below for many streaming services. https://gizmodo.com/how-to-download-everything-from-your-favorite-streaming-1827504636.

-Damian 

Damian,

I am using the equipment given to me when the installer set the service up.  My dish is in the yard, with cable running to the modem (Hughes HT2000W) inside my home.  I have always had the wireless broadcasting turned off for all channels.  My desktop that I use is directly connect to this modem and is apx 3 feet away.  When I am not using this computer it is turned off.  In fact the modem is sitting on top of my computer cabinet.  All test were performed from this computer.   How else can I move it closer.   How can I improve your ability to check the system?  Were you able to see any of the results on "TestMy.net"?  If so, how do you explain the very lows and moderate responses from the tests?  In fact, it will not even do an upload test as it times out.  Could there be an issue with the modem?  How can this be validated?

Here is a high (40.7mps) from the12-10 test    https://testmy.net/db/yGCkwxcAB

Here is a low (1.3 mps) from the 12-10 test  https://testmy.net/db/9r-egYN-5

There are a greater number of lows as I have unknowingly been running the test for some time.  BTW why are there test results being displayed for this account prior to my start date?  It appears that the test results back in 2017 are the same I am experiencing (slow).

TestMy.net states my All Time average is 12.8 mps 1.6 mb/s - speeds 8.5 mps 1.1mb/s

If these results includes previous owners, something is terribly wrong.  After all, TestMy.net is the preferred vehicle to validate performance. I don't think these results would support HD streaming.  I believe my account is set up for up to 50mps.

As far as Netflix,  When the speed is improve maybe the app will load and then I can adjust the setting.  FYI the Nvidia sheild is the device that I am using to stream Netflix.  It is connected directly to the modem (Hughes HT2000W) and is apx 15 feet away.

Sorry to ramble on but this issue is becoming a big pain. I appriciate your response and assistance to resolve my concerns.

Dzzy

Damian,

My apologies, looked up the initial contract and 25mps is the expectation.  There are times the results are in excess of this limit.  However, to be fair those are not the norm.  I still need to have reliable and consistent performance.  Please look at my results in TestMy.net and you will see the issue.

Thanks

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"My apologies, looked up the initial contract and 25mps is the expectation."

Would you post where you saw that?

The subscriber agreement states that "The HughesNet Gen5 Service with speeds of up to 25 mbps down and 3 mbps up is available within the contiguous United States. Speeds in parts of Alaska will be slower."  Source: http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

Additionally, the website provides this disclaimer: 

"The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors." Source: https://www.hughesnet.com/about/hughesnet-gen5

Sorry, Did you see my last post?  I do not live in Alaska but Northern CA!  Is this a community supported by users or HughesNet techs??  I feel my questions in previous posts in this chain are ligitimate and have gone unanswered.  Where is Damian? 

maratsade

I have no idea where you live. You stated that 25Mbps is the expectation, but it is not, as the subscriber agreement shows.

This community is a subscriber to subscriber community, with some intervention from the HN reps for things subscribers can't do, such as check your account or run diagnostics.   However, subscribers can easily point to the information that is available on the web, such as the subscriber agreement and information located on the main HN webpage, both of which state that no, 25Mbps is not the expectation, and why it is not. 

The document given to me from the local sales person states "All serviceplans include:  25Mps download speeds, 3 Mbps upload speeds.....".  I am curious, why not just throw the standard text you just gave me to anyone questioning the speed instead of asking them to run test at TestMy.net.  Have you seen the responses given to me in the string of this conversation??  What far fetch suggestions were given to improve the service.  And yet no one has ever answered any of the questions I asked.  Very disapointed with this board and feel it has been a misrepresentation of help and support and I honestly feel that the impression given was this board was supported by Hughes employees!  Guess I need to go to Hughes and push for some answers.  Thanks

maratsade

"the impression given was this board was supported by Hughes employees!"

It is. They're on M-F 9-5.  @Damian is a HughesNet employee. 

"The document given to me from the local sales person states "All serviceplans include:  25Mps download speeds, 3 Mbps upload speeds.....". 

Do you have a picture of this document you could upload here?

GabeU

@DZzy wrote:

The document given to me from the local sales person states "All serviceplans include:  25Mps download speeds, 3 Mbps upload speeds.....".  I am curious, why not just throw the standard text you just gave me to anyone questioning the speed instead of asking them to run test at TestMy.net.   

The caveats about speed, including the fact that it can vary and that no speed is guaranteed, is clearly stated in the subscriber agreement.  Neither HughesNet representatives nor sales people can force a prospective customer to read the subscriber agreement so that they fully understand the service before signing up for it.  It is the responsibility of that person to do so.  Online and mail ads also include a disclaimer about speed.   It's likely that the document you received also this.

People are asked to run speed tests to demonstrate their speed for the reps in order to determine whether there is an issue and what it may be caused by.  This was not required because you already did so.  

@Damian has evidently not seen your reply as of yet.  It's possible that he simply missed it.  With the thread now receiving further activity he will likely do so.  

@DZzy wrote:

Guess I need to go to Hughes and push for some answers.   

It's not a very smart idea to threaten a company in such a way.