cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow connection - Tech support NO HELP,

New Poster

Slow connection - Tech support NO HELP,

Over the last couple of months we have been experiencing slow service. We contacted tech support several time, which all of them requested new speed tests and rebooting the modem. And during this time we also had approximately 20 GB of data disappear.

Speed tests registered speeds up to 5 Mbps download and 0.5 Mbps upload. We were told there was no issue on "their" side, we should get a technician to look at system.

Technician comes out at scheduled time, looks at equipment and signal, no issues with equipment. The technician and I call back to tech support and are told nothing is wrong with the system by tech support. Also we are charged for the service visit even though there was nothing wrong with the hardware and tech support said we needed technician to look at system.

A person would think that if a tech support was worried about losing customers, they would have worked more than 5 minutes with the technician that was on site to figure out the problem instead of just saying "their" system was working fine. Surely some tools are available to check from "their" system to modem and modem to "their" system.

Still no resolution to the issue. Speed tests are still under 6 Mbps regardless of the time of day/night it is checked.

So far we have spent several hours on the phone and had a technician on site, which none have helped.

Tests were performed:
Home PC direct connect to modem.
Home PC connected to router.
Wireless devices connected through router.
**connection didn't change speed tests**

We had Wildblue for years, but only swapped to Hughesnet for the data package that was offered. Now wondering if we should switch back.
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Slow connection - Tech support NO HELP,

Regarding  your data disappearance, there are ways in which you can discover what it is that is using your data, and they are device dependent.  

If you have Windows based computers, you can use Glasswire to monitor the data on the computer it's installed on.  it's free, and it's here... https://www.glasswire.com/.

If you have Apple based devices with the Apple OS, they have an app on them called the Activity Monitor, and that monitor has a Network section.  This monitors data usage as well.  

If you have a satellite TV receiver, especially a DirecTV receiver, it's generally advised against connecting this due to there being no way to control the amount of data it uses, even when not using its On Demand service.  

Trying to figure out what is using your data can be daunting, but it needs to be done or your data will continually be used up.  You can also use the above methods in a process of elimination to find the culprit.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Good morning thecraigs, 

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! We certainly want to address your concerns so I pulled up your account to run some remote diagnostics. Can you please double check the connection of the coaxial cable between the HughesNet modem and the dish? Once you've ensured it's secured on both ends, please let me know so I can run new diagnostic tests.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

Connections have been checked. No issues found at either end of coax.

Thanks for checking, thecraigs.

As a courtesy, I've dispatched a technician to replace your radio due to the concerns you're encountering. Your complimentary dispatch is currently scheduled at our earliest availability-- Wednesday, Feb 15, 2017 between 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #102697214 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks, 
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

Thanks. Will update after technician visit.

Looking forward to it, hope it all goes well.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

New Poster

Just got home, ran some speed tests on system.

With service call completed, the speed tests ranged from 4.4 - 12 Mbps (only one at 12, eight between 8 - 4.4) download. Upload ranges 0.35 - 1.4 Mbps (only one at 1.4, eight between 0.8 - 0.35).

Tests used were testmy.net and Speedtest.com. Speedtest.com was showing the better results.

Any other suggestions?

Hi thecraigs,

Welcome back, thanks for the update. I just ran some diagnostics on your site--are you seeing anything that could be obstructing your dish right now?

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

New Poster

No. There are trees about 300 feet from dish and a power pole about 150 feet from dish. Looking at how the dish is sighted, I do not see anything in the path.