cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download speeds

MichelleHarley
New Poster

Slow download speeds

I exceeded my data plan and purchased a $15 token so I can download a 4.4 GB file. My download speed is so slow that the download is taking around 10min to get approximately 6 megabytes downloaded
My system is now telling me it will take over 100 hours to download a small file.
Prior to purchasing a data token, the file would not even begin to download, presumably because it couldn’t get the necessary files to begin with from the server within the time limit.
Additionally, after purchasing the “high speed” data token, my speed, which was reading at around 800kbps, only went up to about 1mbps. I don’t feel this is fair. I was originally told to expect around 25mbps typically when I signed a contract with HughesNet. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a speed even close to that, other than for around 5min in the middle of the night. I understand that it is advertised as “up to 25mbps” and I fully understand what that means. However, I don’t believe it’s fair that I’m paying monthly more than most internet services providers I’ve done business with in the past, and the quality of my service, particularly the overall speed, is unbelievably l, remarkably slower. I’ve paid less, and received speeds 20 times higher even when throttled. My speeds are so slow, that when I’m throttled (which happens about 2 days into each month I pay, due to the egregiously low and over priced data caps) the speed drops to a point where it’s almost unusable.

So, inevitably, I cave in and buy an expensive data token, only to see no noticeable improvement in my speed.
This has been consistent throughout my use of the service.

To summarize, as this has been rather long winded, my service is simply, humorously slow. Unreasonably so. Even when I have “data tokens.”

I have been treated with kindness by customer service, I’ve had to call numerous times with problems like this one before. It isn’t any employees fault that this service has been consistently poor. However, as a customer, with a contract, I don’t mind the internet service being slow, it’s a satellite service, I understand the implications of that, what I don’t understand is why my download speeds are, at any point, anything below the margin or 5-8mbps, considering how expensive the monthly fees are, and how long the contract lasts. It almost feels like a trick, as if my speeds are deliberately terrible as to incentivize me to pay more money just to have a functioning internet service once in awhile.

I’m conclusion, I had expected at least “okay” internet speeds most of the time when I signed up. I knew they’d be slower, but I could never have anticipated them to be this slow, I wasn’t led to believe they were. I would be happy with my service if i consistently received at least 5mbps downloads when I have data, especially considering i have to pay for extra data consistently.

Any help to improve my service, and the quality of my download/upload speeds would be greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Slow download speeds

@MichelleHarley 

Right now the system is under considerable strain due to so many people being home and online (and trying to stream, unfortunately).  It's causing a lot of congestion, which is resulting in major slowdowns.  As well, individual download servers can react differently to that congestion, as well as the high latency inherent to satellite internet.  Some downloads may work well, while others may be slow as molasses.   

With this said, for the reps to help they will first need some speed tests to be run to determine your overall speed.  The instructions for those speed tests are here.  Please be sure to thoroughly read the instructions before running any tests and make sure to run them as outlined, as any tests run improperly will be of no value.  With this said, if you run any upload tests, there is a discrepancy between the main page instructions and the "in depth guide".  You can use the 3MB file size for upload tests.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They usually reply within a day, but with them being much busier as of late it can take them a little longer to reply.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MichelleHarley
New Poster

I’m aware of the current circumstances in that many people are in they’re homes lately and using the internet. However, I’ve had this very same issue for essentially the entire time I’ve had this service, so for over a year now. I have to call and get help from reps sometimes two or three times a month, because the speeds are so horrendously bad. I’ve been through the whole process of “Go to this website and test your speeds” before. Just about every time I call. All that usually happens is I’ll see a slight, or unnoticeable improvement for the next few minutes, then it goes back to the same old terrible internet. I don’t want to have to call numerous times a month or a week. I just want the speeds I was told to expect when I signed a contract. Or at the very least, half that. No one told me when I signed a two year contract I would be paying 70+ dollars a month to have 1mbps downloads for two days, then 300-500kbps the rest of the month, then, because those speeds are so slow they often don’t even allow for downloads to start, be forced by throttle to pay another 20-30 just to get a download to begin.

Yesterday around the time of posting my original statement, I had already began downloading a 4GB. I am, as I type this, still downloading that same file. No end in sight. Might very well still be downloading that little file well into tomorrow morning.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Do you have a record of your speeds over at Testmy.net?  It would look like this: https://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

If you have one, please post it, as it's required to get the corporate engineers involved.  If you don't, or if the file sizes are not the required ones, you should open a free account with Testmy.net and begin running tests following the procedure outlined here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/td-p/110034/jump-to/first...

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MichelleHarley 

I understand, but as stated, if you would like help from the reps here they will need speed test results.  They cannot help without them.  Phone help and the help given here are separate avenues, so though you may have run tests before, the reps here will still need test results.  The speed test results not only demonstrate the issue, but they show other important info that can help point them in the direction of the cause of the problem.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Liz

Good morning Michelle,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.