cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet - Long delay issue

Highlighted
Senior

Slow internet - Long delay issue

For a very long time I have been plagued with exceptionally slow performance with no resolution forthcoming.   Many, many diagnogistic tests and attempted remedies by HN claimed to have uncovered no issues.  This is not a data rate (testmy.net), signal strength, or satellite latency problem.   As I have reported before, the problem is related to very long delays between packet exchanges. 

I have run quite a number of "Connectivity Tests" with the HT2000W modem (modem was once replaced - no help).   Sometimes it reports delays of 620 ± ms.  That is fine and throughput is fair to OK.  More often the delay ranges from 1000 to 3000 ms or greater and throughput is very slow.  Occasionally packet loss  is reported, most times not.  The progress bar indicates many pauses during the tests.  Attached is a grab of the Connectivity Test from the evening of 20 November.  Check out the delay!   At this point throughput was pretty much nil in spite of the test reporting good connectivity to the gateway.  

It is obvious this issue is not something that I can fix on my end.   An effective remedy by HN is needed.   Any comments?

Thanks, Woody - KZ4AK

connectivity test.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Senior

Re: Slow internet - Long delay issue

BTW, during the past month, with no change in typical activity, my alloted data quickly drained.   An interesting point is that while throttled-back, there was little change in throughput.  Maybe there was a bit more buffering on something like youtube - but not much more.  

Another indicator of delays, not data speed being the issue.

Highlighted

hamradio,

I was looking into your account, and from what I'm seeing, we actually currently don't have any communication with your modem. I can definitely look into what might've eaten that data, but we need to get that modem back up and communicating with our systems. Please, if you haven't already, attempt to power cycle the modem by unplugging it from the power brick, waiting a few seconds, and plugging it back in.

Following that, on a device directly connected to the modem, please go to your web browser and go to http://systemcontrolcenter.com. Once the HughesNet page populates, please click on System Status at the top of the page and post what the System State code is here. It should be in a 0.0.0 format. This will help us find out what may be wrong with the system!

Thanks,

Remy

Highlighted
Senior

Hello Remy,

Thanks for the reply.  Power down reset done.  An update was done upon restart.  Connection via Ethernet cable.

Below is the Sys Status.  It is interesting that unlike before, the Diagnostic Code is unavailable.   I reloaded several times (CTL F5), still no diagnositc code. BTW, the 5GHz wifi is intentionally off.

Also included a tracert to HN and a modem conextivity test.   This time the delays were near expectations, but had a 10% packet loss.

Let me know if more data is needed...

Woody

Sys status.jpg

trace 1.JPG

connectivity.JPG

Highlighted
Senior

About 15 minutes later (morning of 11/24) produced this:

trace 2.JPG

Highlighted

hamradio,

Thank you for the updated data! If you could, please turn the 5ghz radio back on, as this may be blocking other potential state codes. I'm going to have this information passed along, and we'll continue to take a look into it for you! How long have you been experiencing these issues?

Thanks,

Remy

Highlighted
Senior

A few hours later, checked again.  This time retrieved a diagnostic code:

Diagnostic Code: 0000-0000-0000-0005
Connectivity test showing expected delays, still loosing 10% packets.
Also sending an email with a very small image has failed twice today.
...The 5 GHz wifi is now enabled.
Woody

Highlighted
Senior

The slow throughput has been ongoing for a very long time but the problem has gotten worse over the past couple of months.  At it's maximum "bad" lately.   According to Firefox, even file downloads often run at 10 to 20 k.  (pretty fast at this moment).    Have tried many diagnostics / solutions from both this support site and telephone support to no avail.

Woody

Highlighted

hamradio,

I'll have this information sent up to our engineers to look at. Thank you for the additional info, and I'll be back with you when I have more information! Please let me know if you receive a call from our engineering team in the meantime.

Thanks,

Remy

Highlighted
Senior

Thanks...  Will do!

_W_