cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet and Netflix buffering!

Slow internet and Netflix buffering!

Just about everytime we want to watch Netflix, we have to set the wireless settings AGAIN and then Netflix keeps buffering!  We have been customer for less than a month and I am NOT impressed
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Slow internet and Netflix buffering!

It sounds like there might be a problem related to your router if you are having to constantly reset your wireless connection.  It's possible that there is a conflict in the IP addresses with your router and the modem.  The following is a copy/paste from another thread addressing this issue....

I think the first place to check is to ensure that no IP address conflicts exist.

The Hughes modem is hardwired for 192.168.0.1

That IP can not be shared or changed. It is not unheard of for routers to have that address set as their default LAP IP which leads to some "issues".

I suggest that you check your routers LAN IP address and set it to 192.168.1.1

It would be helpful to know your routers brand and model.

With regard to buffering (if it's not related to the above issue), have you tried lowering the definition of Netflix to see if that makes any difference?  It's generally recommended that you lower the definition of your Netflix so as to not burn through your data very quickly, but it often helps with buffering, as well.   You can do so here....

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

You may also find that streaming in the evening may be a bit more touchy than any other time of the day.  That's generally due to so many people being on during this time frame and the overall available speed sometimes being lower due to this.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Lift off? I'm getting ready to shove off! Terrible Internet speed, still!.

I am in my bedroom, maybe 40 feet from my router. I try to watch a You Tube video and, when it finally comes up, it keeps buffering, stopping. It has literally taken me 10 minutes to finally get to this point! I have been a customer for 1 month and may not stay a customer much longer
Professor

See Gabe's reply above, specifically:
I think the first place to check is to ensure that no IP address conflicts exist.

The Hughes modem is hardwired for 192.168.0.1

That IP can not be shared or changed. It is not unheard of for routers to have that address set as their default LAP IP which leads to some "issues".

I suggest that you check your routers LAN IP address and set it to 192.168.1.1

It would be helpful to know your routers brand and model.
Have you tried this? Do you need instructions on how to check this?
Assistant Professor

A distance of 40 feet from the router can slow down the speed greatly depending on the router model and makeup of walls. Some routers have external antennas, some internal. Some have more power than others and some use the newer 5 GHZ along with the older 2.4 Ghz frequency. All thes factors can greatly impact video streaming experience.

What make/model router do you have?
New Poster

We have been with Hughesnet for now over a year and have had constant problems with the speed and buffering.  I have called and complained every other month in the beginning and when you call you get a third world person with broken english and states over and over again that "SORRY" for slow speeds and the buffering problem.  I have been on the phone with support over 2 hours each time and been told that I was esclated to a level 4 and 5 support issues and could take up to 10 days to hear back.  Several times never a call back.  

Lately I have been calling weekly since the beginning of 2018 and get nowhere.  I go thru all the tests which can men being on the phone for over 2 hours to get help and still nothing.  

If you are still new I would cancel and get out of the 2 year contact for the fee to cancel after the first month is $400.00 .

I have asked several times to have a tech come and check the equipment and or mail an new modem and they say they can't do that for where they are across the world they see that we are get what they consider exceptable speeds.  We had to cancel our NETFLIX account for we cant use it it buffers.  The techs on the phone seem nice but they really can't help and when I was on the phone with them on March 15th 2018 after 2 hours I was told that as far as the tech was concerned I was get what was exceptable and that was the end of the call.  Still have issues and I call in no Weekly and get a new # to track the service call for future call ins.  I would cancel I tell everyone that asks me would I recommend Hughesnet and I say no you are better off with 2 cans and a String. 

New Poster

I forgot to mention that this past fall after the Hurricane Irma I had trouble with the DirectTV and the Hughesnet internet.  We had lost the internet connection totally and the DirectTV was spotty.  I call both companies and complained DirectTV said they would send a Tech out in 4 days and it was a fight to get the Hughesnet to get a tech to come out.  After four (4) hours on the phone with Tech support they said they couldn't get a signal either and would send out a person.  The strange thing both Tech People showed up the same day within 10 minutes of each other.  The HughesNET guy found that parts to the head unit on the dish was missing and replaced the head unit, and the DirectTV guy said that the dish had moved.  I asked him to check the "ON DEMAND" feature for we could not use it and he told me that the HUGHESNET was to unstable.   The Hughesnet Tech was still here and said yes depending on the speed.  He called in to HughesNet and made changes over the phone and for the first time for a month and a half we could stream movies and that all stopped on December 24th 2017 and that is when I started calling in weekly to get it fixed again for if he could fix it calling tech support I should be able to also.  That has never happened and still have issues and it is Friday March 23, 2018 it is not a very goo internet company.