Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet speed

Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: Slow internet speed

Hi @Jay ,

The Hughes modem is right next to our Dish receiver and our Samsung Smart TV. Other devices on the same floor of the house are about 30 feet away from the modem. We have a WiFi range extender at the top of the stairs to upper story of the house. Devices are about 30 feet from the extender.

The speed tests were done with my computer hardwired via Ethernet cable to the Hughes modem.

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted

Are you able to move the Modem further away from the TV and Dish receiver? 

Does the modem have 2 feet of clearance on every side?

-Jay

Highlighted
Sophomore

@Jay 

Sorry, I didn't see your response until now. I can move the modem further from the tv and Dish receiver. The modem does not have 2 feet of clearance on all sides. I will relocate it. How far away from the tv and Dish should it be?

Highlighted

Let's first get the modem the proper clearance. Once that is done, try turning off the dish receiver and performing 3-5 more tests to see if the speeds are more consistent.

-Jay

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Peneloukle wrote: 

The modem does not have 2 feet of clearance on all sides. I will relocate it. How far away from the tv and Dish should it be?

Like with the general clearance, at least two feet.  The two feet of clearance is to both ensure that the modem won't be hampered by residual signal interference from nearby electronic devices and to give it enough space to remain well ventilated in order to keep cool.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

I used up the data in my plan for the month, so the speed is throttled. After moving the modem, I ran download tests for an hour and the results show download speed steady at ~3Mbps. I am more interested in the speed test results when the speed is not throttled.

I doubt that I will be able to run new tests during bonus zone time.  I will run tests in about 2 weeks when my service is restored.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Peneloukle 

In situations such as yours the reps will often give token data so that the needed testing can be completed, so it's very possible that when they get back from the weekend they will do this. 

Additionally, that you're getting fairly consistent ~3Mbps speeds while in FAP may actually be a good sign.  🙂

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

@GabeU 

Thanks for the info. What does "FAP" mean?

Distinguished Professor III

It means Fair Access Policy. It throttles your speed when you go over your data allowance.

Highlighted

I've added some data to the account so you can proceed with the tests. No need to wait until your refresh date.

-Jay