cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet

Freshman

Slow internet

I pay for 25mbps but get around 5 most of the time. If I pay fo 10 will I ge 2? Really irritating that tech support doesn’t seem to be able to do anything. Even the repair tech said he couldn’t make it any faster. I’m guessing Hughesnet could make it faster. I guess saying “Up To” 25 mbps covers the false advertising
20 REPLIES 20
Professor

Re: Slow internet

"Up to" is not false advertising -- it's standard with ISPs (not just Hughesnet) and it reflects technology and reality. 

Distinguished Professor III

@David Clarke

If you've run tests at testmy.net, do you have the results page URL that you can post, or results from HughesNet's own speed test?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

2nd time HN customer, waited 5-7 years and thought I'd get what I paid for this time, BUT no HUGHES NET IS STILL TERRIBLE!!! I got ripped by them twice. If there's a legal thing I can join, please let me know. $100/month to be aggravated by very spotty service.
Freshman

How do I post my screen shot of my testmy.net results? I have Download 732kbps, Upload 297kbps. I have 18GB left on "prime time." This is ridiculous
New Poster

Streaming a video from hulu, buffers every 5 seconds. This is bull****. I just got installed yesterday and want out. I was told that this would be 8 times better than my DSL @ 3.5 mbs. not even close. Much worse.
Freshman

Freshman

Oh, and the best part about this scam is that the HN app speed tester says "Excellent"
Highlighted
Sophomore

@maratsade wrote:

"Up to" is not false advertising -- it's standard with ISPs (not just Hughesnet) and it reflects technology and reality. 

I wish we could do away with the "up to" argument.  It reflects a lack of understanding of consumer law.

A company can not advertise "up to 25 mbps download," deliver 0.3 mbps download, and then claim "well, it's 'up to.'"

Courts will apply what's called a "reasonable test" to any contract.  If they promise one thing, but caveate it behind a qualifier, a Court is going to ask if their caveate is reasonable.

Advertising 25 mbps and delivering 20 mbps is reasonable, as long as they hit that 25 mbps at times.

Advertising 25 mbps and never hitting that number is not reasonable.  That could fall under false advertising, even with the "up to" qualifer.  Consumer Protection agencies are really picky about stuff like that.

Advertising 25 mbps and delivering 1 mbps for part of the day and 25 mbps for another part of the day probably wouldn't survive a challenge either.

Please understand before people start banging on that Reply button and racing to rebut this.  I am not accusing HughesNet of anything.  I am just throwing out examples I pulled from the air.  HughesNet knows Consumer and Contract law very well.  They aren't advertising a speed they aren't trying to deliver.  That would be foolishness.

I just want to kabosh this "up to" argument that gets far too much play without really understanding what it means in a legal sense.

Distinguished Professor III

@Gib888

If you would like help with your speed issue(s), please start a new topic, which you can do here... https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

@Rickv161

Please try turning off, or pausing (Snooze), the Video Data Saver to alleviate the buffering issues.  What Is Video Data Saver?  If you need further assistance, please create a new topic using the link provided above.  Please also follow the Community Guidelines and refrain from profanity.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit