Hughesnet Community

Slow service high price

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heatherleann922

Slow service high price

Service is awful!! 71 dollars a month you would think you would have unlimited data or atleast be able to watch videos without having to stop to load. As soon as I find a new option of internet I will be switching! I have never heard of such high prices and had such tallow service. No point in spending that money on crap!
54 REPLIES 54
savedbygrace777

Amen Sister! I too am canceling my service as soon as I find a better ISP! HughesNet is the worst provider I have ever used. What exacerbates the problem is hughesnets cavalier attitude towards improving their service.

I thought the old dial up phone internet was bad at least it wasn't but 9 dollars a month there phone service is so bad can't hear nothing but echo internet so slow takes a day to watch a movie Lord what did I get into what a joke
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

We watch quite a bit of Netflix at low definition. It is a capped service.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/sgoshe

Even a 10 GB Anytime plan you should be able to watch 20-25 hours a month unless doing other very data intensive things on the internet.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Unlimited is imposable for a satellite connection ....
The satellite is a machine with very real capacity limits. Once designed, built and launched into an orbit 22,300 miles up, there is no way to expand or repair it. It is what it is for its projected lifespan.

The useful lifespan is usually about 12 to 15 years then it must be replaced. Echostar17 was said to have cost $500 million dollars. To that you can add the costs of launch services and insurance. To that you can add millions more for the construction, staffing and maintenance of the earth-side facilities know as Gateways of which there are about 17 plus two Network Operation Centers.

As you can see by the above, the "cost basis" of providing two-way satellite Internet is considerably higher than terrestrial ISP's.
Remember too that it is those ground based services that chose not to service your area because  .. they couldn't make any money from your business ... despite their lower costs.

As to "support" you need only make a post outlining your issues and the corporate level Mods here in the Community will be more than happy to assist as well as other Community members such as myself.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

And how is it that you would improve their service?  Unlimited data or even considerably higher data caps are an impossibility, as has been explained on here numerous times.  Satellites have a finite throughput, so I suppose you could get 24/7 great speeds by just simply cutting off service to half of the customers.  I'm sure they'd love that.  They could always just send a few more satellites up.  Got a few billion dollars for them? 

Good luck with your "better ISP."  If you had that available where you are you wouldn't have gotten Hughesnet in the first place.  Nobody gets satellite internet if they have a landline service available to them, save those that do no research into what they are buying.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

A satellite is like a single fiber optic cable providing service to the internet compared to tens or hundreds of cables with ground based providers. Not an exact comparison but trying to put it words the average person might understand.
GabeU

Good analogy.  Of course, then you have the additional problem of that hypothetical single cable being subjected to interference that actual cables aren't.  That the whole thing comes together and actually works is an amazing technological achievement. I'm glad it does.  The way I look at it is that I can't get a Maserati, but I can get a Corolla, and a Corolla still gets me there.  The fact that a Corolla doesn't perform like a Maserati doesn't bother me, as it's still better than a bicycle (dial up).
GabeU

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972 

A tad better than the alternative for most of us...dial up. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Unlimited wont happen... Even though this is an older thread, it's still relevent to this day.

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/unlimited-access

There are many reasons why we wont see unlimited satellite internet service any time soon, below are a few.
1: Costs - While cable companies may charge $1000+ for so many feet of fiber ran, the cost for them is far lower, they make a killing anytime someone pays them to expand their networks.  With this, it's also cheap for cable companies to expand if they wish to, to high population areas, they can easily recover costs and make a profit with in the first month of running new cable to the areas they select.
2: Costs again- Satellites are NOT cheap, Jupiter cost several million to be built, and more to be launched.  I can't remember if it was $5,000,000 for the satellite, or if it was in the hundred million.  Can't find the documents anymore honestly.  Then to top it off, Hughes has to build multiple ground facilities to support that satellite, each facility costs several hundred thousand to a few million a pop I estimate.  To top that off, these satellites only survive approximately 15 years, if they don't have issues.  So, with it taking more than just a few months to recover costs, and the equipment costing astronomical amounts, they have to be stingy on costs.  I am seriously wanting to say the satellite was in the $500,000,000 range since they have a $300,000,000 insurance policy on the satellite from what I can find.
3: Jupiter Bandwidth vs Cable Bandwidth - Jupiter only has ~100Gbps of total up/down bandwidth spread out among everyone, where as cable, a single cable provider easily has Terabits worth of bandwidth at their disposal anytime along their own pipes.  1000Gbps = 1Tbps.  It's easier to run new fiber and upgrade a few machines at each end to increase that bandwidth, can't really send someone into space to install new equipment on a satellite.
4: Data allowances are the only form of bandwidth management technically allowed to be used anymore AFAIK.  Hughes does this to prevent the 700,000+ users that they do have from all trying to download at one time, if they did, the satellite would become crippled, and you would be complaining about far more than data allowances.  100Gbps divided among about 700,000 users is 0.142Mbps, virtually nothing, then you have to factor in, you are also uploading while downloading as the server you connect to needs to know you are getting the data in order.
5: Because this is a shared system, congestion is expected to occur, but, everyone should be able to still receive a decent amount of download speed at almost any time, yes it slows down in the evenings, but you should still be seeing a few Mbps in download speeds.  Sometimes something happens along the network, either with your router, modem, the satellite in space, or one of the many ground facilities that support the system that can impact speeds.  When this happens it's advised that you disconnect your router, connect your PC directly to the Hughes modem, and run a series of speed tests over a few days.  Hughes likes to have a set of 5 tests in the morning, another set of 5 in the mid-day, and another set of 5 at night.  All tests are to be performed athttp://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com or http://my.hughesnet.com/ after logging in.  They need speed tests as well as webresponse.  They are two very different tests.
Amanda

Hello Heather,

We're sorry to hear you aren't happy with our service and definitely want to see what we can do to help. First off, our sales representatives should have let you know before you purchased the system that the internet service was not unlimited as well as the price you would be paying per month before/after discounts. If you feel you were not properly informed of the data limits and price of the service before having the system installed, please let me know.

Besides that, if you would like to get assistance with data management, we should know a bit more about what you have hooked up in your home. Do you use a router and wireless devices? Looking forward to assisting you.

Thanks,
Amanda
Glorinda Zapata

What are you doing to help all of us you have all of our comments and complaints .
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Glorinda, you keep commenting in other people's problem posts. You need to go to the top of the page and click on New Post to start your own and explain in detail what problem you are having.

You won't get unlimited data and the prices are fair for the satellite internet market.
ARSanders1

Not the best of analogies! Will all do respect, you both are wrong ... Suppose you have both your Maserati and your Corolla. Your cable internet and your HughesNet internet. Your Maserati may go 180 MPH but it is "throttled" down or "capped" off by the Speed Limits of American Highways! Just like HughesNet "throttles" your internet speed after they have a slight inclination of the data you use after using their service for a couple of months. Knowing that most will not even realize their throttled speeds or they know that HughesNet is the only option to dialup! Hughes is a complete monopoly in the satellite industry! America has been using Hughes satellites for decades! So there is no way Hughes would allow any other internet provider,new or existing, to use their satellites to compete with their service! So ultimatel, HughesNet COULD provide much better service to much more people without such "throttles" or "caps" being applied at the rate at which they are today! Unfortunately us in rural America have to abide by the "Hughes Law" or move to where better service of internet is available! Just like you would have to move elsewhere to get the full benefits of your Maserati and not be "throttled" or "capped" due to speed limits! HughesNet could do much better but why would they when they can suppress customers and still thrive....¿
ARSanders1

Ignorance ... Go to any "land" internet provider or your cable provider! What will you find... SATELLITES! Do you think the internet is some magical land anomaly? The "land" providers get their internet from the same place HughesNet does! With all your satellite knowledge you should be aware that Hughes has been around for decades providing the government with satellites. They are an absolute monopoly in the satellite industry. The names you gave are merely"names" designated to Hughes satellites.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Um, ground based cable internet DOES NOT use satellites. One simple proof, the ground based latency would be equal to satellite which is minimum 500 ms. At least know what you are talking about before you call someone else ignorant. Maybe time to look in the mirror.

And many of the government satellites are NOT geostationary, communication jumps between satellites as they pass over. They have much lower orbits and much less latency.
GabeU

ARSanders1,

How unusual.  Another person who complains about data caps and speeds. 

You might want to do a little research on why satellite internet has data caps and the speed limits it does.  It's been explained enough times on these boards for people who make the same complaints. 

ARSanders1

The cable provider obtains Internet from satellites then broadcast to their customers depending on the "package" said customer has subscribed to! My comment was not meaning that the cable internet customer gets their internet DIRECTLY from a satellite. It meant that all internet providers obtain internet through satellites!
ARSanders1

Internet is simply a relay of data. So it can be transferred to many satellites not just certain ones.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'm out, your making a straw man argument. Have a nice evening.
GabeU

ARSanders1,

You REALLY need to do some research lest you make ridiculous claims, like saying ground based internet uses satellites.  If you had any credibility to your arguments about satellite and ground based internet, and I haven't seen any yet, you've lost it.